PDA

View Full Version : Egg Nog

Justin Case
12-25-2010, 09:17 AM
Well I normally like the stuff and only drink it around the holidays,, But yesterday, i made the mistake of buying the cheapest store brand egg nog,,,, YUCK,,, live and learn,guess ..i'll just spike the hell out of it and drink it anyway :) but back to the reason of the post,

Has anyone ever made their own eggnog ?

crashdive123
12-25-2010, 09:54 AM
Yep.

egg yolks (or whole eggs if you prefer)
whole milk
heavy cream
vanilla
nutmeg
cinamon
sugar

I don't measure - just keep adjusting till I like it.

Justin Case
12-25-2010, 09:59 AM
is it raw? or do you heat it at all ? hmm, i guess it has to be raw ,,,

crashdive123
12-25-2010, 10:25 AM
I do not heat it. I know that there is a concern regarding salmonella, but I think that the risk is relatively small. If it is a concern, you can mix in the sugar and heat it to about 160* (stirring the whole time). I'm pretty sure that all of the commercial nogs are pasteurized.

kyratshooter
12-25-2010, 10:37 AM
The difficult part is that if you heat the eggs they cook and seperate as lumps floating in the other ingredients.

Back in the day eggnolgg was always blended with alcahol. Lots of alcahol! There was as much rum as nogg, with whisky and wine included. I think they depended on the alcahol to kill anything nasty in the brew.

My family prefered Boiled Custard, which is not quite as spicey as the noggs. Dosen't mess with the tase of the whisky as much.

I was an adult before I realized why I loved boiled custard so much. The grandparents were not prone to cutting the mix for the kids and we were taking some good Christmas afternoon naps after a couple of muggs of the good Christmas drink.

canid
12-25-2010, 10:53 AM
I love egg nog, but i think i'm going to have to start making it myself. something they do to the commercial stuff makes me unfit for indoor storage. just about every brand, and it never used to.

kray; i find that if you heat them just right while whisking the top gently and constantly you don't get lumps. it also helps to scrape the sides of the pot/pan. it the same way i do frozen custard, and i use a pretty large amount of yolks in that.

RangerXanatos
12-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Yes, I LOVE it. It's not uncommon for me to buy half a gallon and drink most of it by myself in a short period of time. It also makes you run fast, as in run fast to the bathroom.

Justin Case
12-25-2010, 12:55 PM
yes, I Love It. It's Not Uncommon For Me To Buy Half A Gallon And Drink Most Of It By Myself In A Short Period Of Time. It Also Makes You Run Fast, As In Run Fast To The Bathroom.

Lol,,,,,,,

pgvoutdoors
12-25-2010, 01:18 PM
One of my favorite holiday treats. Just the smell of well spiced eggnog brings Christmas to mind. I can't say I've ever made any though.

RangerXanatos
12-25-2010, 01:28 PM
I have looked many times for the ingredients to make it, and most of them say to start with Eggnogg and add vanilla icecream. Now I'm going to have to try Crash's recipe.

This past weekend was the first time, I've ever had any with alcohol in it, I must say, they go well together, but it's not needed. Also, I don't know if they did it this year, but last year IHOP had an Eggnogg pancake breakfast that was very good.

wildWoman
12-28-2010, 07:56 PM
*weeps and drools simultaneously* I LOVE eggnog but have neither the storebought stuff nor the ingredients for making it. You guys all have an extra glass for me, please!

Rick
12-28-2010, 07:59 PM
If you are adding the eggs after the nog has been heated then you have to temper the eggs or they will cook as soon as they hit the nog. If you are heating it all at once then you should be fine.

grrlscout
12-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Rick beat me to it. Yep. You have to gradually bring the eggs up to the temp of the nog, or they will cook, and thus congeal.

Start with the eggs room temp. Then beat them separately. Add some of the warm mixture to them, a little at a time, while whisking the eggs. Then you can dump the warmed egg mixture into the nog.

I've never made egg nog. But I make a custard-based ice cream, and lemon curd, and I have to use this type of process.

I like the idea of egg nog. But after one glass, I'm full and have a belly ache. Maybe I need to thin it out with more booze. ;)

crashdive123
12-29-2010, 11:55 AM
May not stop the belly ache, but you probably won't care as much.

Rick
12-29-2010, 12:01 PM
As far as I know, chocolate and eggs are the only thing you have to temper. That was a great explanation on the eggs, Grrlscout. Chocolate is a bit more complex in the amount you use at one time and how you actually temper it. It makes a world of difference in the final outcome of candies, etc. I won't bore you with the process. I'll just give you a link. By the way, don't use chocolate chips. Use only block chocolate. The chips have additives so they retain their shape when warm so they don't temper as well as bar or block chocolate.

http://allrecipes.com//HowTo/tempering-chocolate/Detail.aspx