PDA

View Full Version : cordura 1000

corndog-44
01-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Cordura 1000 is a very heavy weight nylon with urethane coating. It has excellent tear strength and is very abrasion resistant. This fabric is amazingly tough and versatile.

I'm thinking of adding a second layer of Cordura 1000 stitched to the front of my hiking pants from the ankle to mid thigh for additional protection. I also like to have the Cordura added across the butt area of some of my pants for scrambling down hill.

Does anyone have any actual experience with this material? And is sewing or fabric glue the best method of attaching the cordura to the pants?

Rick
01-11-2008, 12:16 PM
I've never used it for fabric to fabric. I did use it for the cover of my Kurki and Machette sheaths. It was actually pretty easy to work with and sew.

corndog-44
01-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Rick I'm thinking of using the 11oz. per yd. What weight of cordura did you use?

pgvoutdoors
01-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Cordura 1000 is a very heavy weight nylon with urethane coating. It has excellent tear strength and is very abrasion resistant. This fabric is amazingly tough and versatile.

I'm thinking of adding a second layer of Cordura 1000 stitched to the front of my hiking pants from the ankle to mid thigh for additional protection. I also like to have the Cordura added across the butt area of some of my pants for scrambling down hill.

Does anyone have any actual experience with this material? And is sewing or fabric glue the best method of attaching the Cordura to the pants?

It sounds like what your describing is what the hunting clothing industry calls a Upland Game Pant. It has the Cordura where you described but the pant is usually made of heavy cotton duct. It is used for bird hunting; quail, pheasant, and what not. I've used these pants for hiking in really rough areas. They're a little hot though but great protection.

Rick
01-11-2008, 01:16 PM
cordog, frankly I don't remember. I still have some of it but I don't have any of the paperwork. I ordered off the web about 18 months ago. Sorry.

Sourdough
01-11-2008, 07:32 PM
Rick, Filson makes "Tin" Chaps that slide on and off. And they let the heat flow out the top. They are easy on and easy off. I use them for logging. I forgot to say they last for 300 years of hard abuse.

Rick
01-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Just my luck. They'll wear out before me.

canid
01-11-2008, 07:42 PM
you plannin on living forever too eh?

Rick
01-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Well, I already have. Dirt was named after me if that means anything. No point in giving up now.

Cabella's offers several types of chaps and they have some upland game coveralls. I did find one site that has the Filson single chaps on sale for $88.