PDA

View Full Version : Marinades for strong venison.

Wise Old Owl
12-20-2010, 10:01 PM
Over the years we have had a lot of venison, the current one in the freezer has possibly the stongest game taste my wife and I have run into, no doubt a buck.
Even the Steaks are strong flavored - enough to put the gal off eating what we have left, so now I am looking to knock it down with a marinade - I have successfully hidden it twice with different french sauces. Now I have to step it up.

My thoughts were along a Merlot, Apple Cider Vinegar, Brown Sugar, Tyme..........and 18 hours.

What favorite marinade would you use?

klickitat
12-20-2010, 10:07 PM
Sounds like one that was gut shot maybe. Try trimming off EVERYTHING white and soak it in milk for a couple hours.

Wise Old Owl
12-20-2010, 10:19 PM
Uhh well teh guy that shoots does it with a bow, and passes it off to a awesome local butcher, so I hope that's not the case.

Its just a strong taste. - how does milk knock it down?

mwp
12-20-2010, 10:41 PM
Try washing it down good then place the meat in a cooler and cover with chilled buttermilk for 24 hours. Dont know just why but its worked for a couple of generations now. Started with my grandmother.

klickitat
12-20-2010, 11:20 PM
I am not sure how it works, but something in the milk and or buttermilk pulls the gamey flavor out.

Wise Old Owl
12-21-2010, 01:07 PM
Well I have plenty of meat & milk I cant see the harm of an experiment... So I just went and did it, I will cook it up tomorrow after an evening soak.

klickitat
12-21-2010, 01:57 PM
Well I have plenty of meat & milk I cant see the harm of an experiment... So I just went and did it, I will cook it up tomorrow after an evening soak.

Do not forget to trim off anything white too, before the soak.

SARKY
12-21-2010, 02:03 PM
I have had nasty tasting deer when we have an early winter and the deer are eating pine needles. That being said, I use German white wine as a marinade normally an Auslese. The wine has a fruity flavor it imparts to the meat. I use this with lamb as well

Camp10
12-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Sounds like one that was gut shot maybe. Try trimming off EVERYTHING white and soak it in milk for a couple hours.

+1 That seems to get rid of the gamey taste.

pgvoutdoors
12-21-2010, 09:26 PM
Venison Marinade

(6) cups of milk
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup Tequila (taste for quality, then taste again to ensure quality)
juice from (2) limes
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce

Marinate overnight. Best grilled with a fruity smoke.

If this doesn't mellow the venison enough, drink more Tequila!