PDA

View Full Version : Trailer lights extension harness

hunter63
12-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Getting ready for a trip south, needed to check trailer lights (taking a trailer load of Christmas gifts down to DD, SIL, and GS.

As I didn't really want to hook up yet, snow coming tonite, so departure is kinda up in the air, but did want to check lights, I thought about the wiring harness we used to use on our campers over the years.

Long extra harness allowed a camper to be parked away from the truck and still power up with the truck battery.

Been around for a while so I thought, I would just use it to plug into the truck in the garage, and check lights in the drive way.

It has it's own ground wire, so you don't have to depend on the trailer grounding through the hitch.

Worked just fine.

So now I'm thinking that when using a camper trailer as a BOV/portable BOL, on of these long harness would be a great idea.

If you are used to campers, y'all probably thought about this and even have made up one already in your gear.
If not, sure came in handy while camping and checking lights.

crashdive123
12-20-2010, 08:31 PM
Sounds like a good plan. Drive safe on your trip - watch out for the crazies.

kyratshooter
12-21-2010, 02:11 PM
My lake cabin down in TN has a long wiring harness. I had it on grid power, a 12v solar/battery powered setup that I could hook into the wiring harness of the pickup.

It worked very well and was a good immidiate power source when the cabin was used part time. You just plugged in and turned on the lights, then checked to make sure all the internal sources were working next morning.

I loved being able to hook the place to the vehicle. If the solar battery bank wen low I could use the truck battery with only a 30 second hook up time.

The long lines allow you some flexability in where you park. In my case I was beside the house but if using an RV it eliminates having to be right at the hitch.

I also had a generator and 110 run through the place and Eventually I hooked up grid power. Grid power made life very dull.

Pal334
12-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Excellent idea. I had never thought of it, but will now put one together and keep it in the truck. Thank you

COWBOYSURVIVAL
12-21-2010, 07:44 PM
I like the idea..Thanks Hunter! You got me thinking!

Rick
12-21-2010, 08:47 PM
This is a pretty common setup on pole trailers. And on very long poles we had another portable set of lights that we could strap on the end of pole and use as Hunter suggests.

Also, if you can find some temporary power service it makes outstanding jumper cables. This is the stuff they lay on the ground until permanent facilities are in place. I have a set that's about 25 feet long made out of #3 (I think) aluminum cable. If you have to park behind a vehicle to jump it (inside a garage for example) it's no problem.

Camp10
12-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Grid power made life very dull.

I dont mind it so much!:D Of course, my cabin is about 2 miles off the grid and into the woods and will stay that way.

Camp10
12-21-2010, 09:24 PM
I have a set that's about 25 feet long made out of #3 (I think) aluminum cable. If you have to park behind a vehicle to jump it (inside a garage for example) it's no problem.

I'm going to guess it is either #2 or #4...I've never seen #3. We run #2 aluminum overhead up to 200 amp services. After that we go to 1/0 triplex.

Rick
12-21-2010, 10:52 PM
Might be either one. That's why the (I think) was stuck in there. Couldn't remember the gauge. Either way makes a great set of jumper cables!