PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Jay EDC

Erratus Animus
12-19-2010, 12:06 PM
I enjoy showing the process knives go through and hope you do as well. I know a lot of knife makers dont do this and that is probably because they are too busy making knives :9: For those of you that do enjoy watching them all come together here is a pic of some knives that are special to me and ones I enjoy making as well. They are the Aaron Jay.

Several makers name their knives after historical figures, reptiles, rivers and flora and I am no different as these knives are named after my brother. AJ is still with us but not for long as cancer has robbed him and our family so we wait for a miracle or for AJ to be at peace and rest.

These knives came to be many years ago when we were teens and attempted to build a knife. I found that knife a few months ago up in the barn and the memories that it where attached to its making. I took it to show AJ and he asked me to make a real knife, like it was supposed to be, for him and these knives are the result.

I have been doing some testing on the Aaron Jay. I can say it is my favorite EDC and I have made a leather lined kydex sheath for it to go along with my CC weapon.

BOS HEAT TREATING did a good job on the ht and cryo .Brother this knife is D2 and tough as nails. Stays sharp and has not a spot of rust on it yet even after carrying it in our humid weather. I am very please with every aspect of the Aaron Jay.

Due to its short size I dont notice it at all and is a joy to carry knowing that I have a tool that will preform anything I would need a knife for EDC. Skinning deer is a breeze and stays sharp through out the process.

This will be the Last Christmas I will have with my little brother and I can think of no better way than to say I love ya man than to put my heart and soul into the crafting of these knives and today I will present him with an identical copy of my EDC. Thanks for reading and veiwing

THE AARON JAY:
D2 FLAT GRIND
3/16THS
4" BLADE
1 1/4 WIDE
4 1/4 HANDLE
LEOPARD WOOD SCALES

http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz148/Erratus/100_0429.jpg

http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz148/Erratus/100_0426.jpg

canid
12-19-2010, 12:09 PM
looks like a real user. if that's lacewood i hope it's sealed real well.

Erratus Animus
12-19-2010, 12:12 PM
looks like a real user. if that's lacewood i hope it's sealed real well.

Its leopard wood and I use it in exotic riser for Take down longbows and have some left from past orders. I like the look of the grain and denseness of the wood.

Ted
12-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Losing a family member to cancer is tough! My oldest sister had a ten year battle. She lost that battle at 49. Prayers out to your brother, you, and your family.

Nice knife! I like the idea of immotalizing your brother in steel!

Humm, Now you got me thinking I should do the same,the Roberta Jean. Has a nice ring to it.

gryffynklm
12-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Nice Knife, like canid said, it looks like a real user.

Both Lacewood and leopardwood (brazilian Lace Wood) are in the same family. Lace wood is toxic and can give you a Poison Ivy like reaction. I had to look up leopard wood toxicity and couldn't find much. Not all Lacewood species are equal in toxicity.

If you didn't get a rash from the wood dust, or have respiratory problems if you weren't wearing a dust mask, it should be OK.

By the way, Great tribute.

Prayers go out to your family.

crashdive123
12-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Very nice knife. I'm sure AJ is very proud.

panch0
12-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Nice looking knife

Erratus Animus
12-19-2010, 01:05 PM
He knows nothing about it. He has asked me for a knife for Christmas but there were other things that arose that made me almost not give it too him but the entire family has asked me to do so. We moved our Christmas family gathering to toady so AJ can be here as he is failing fast which is why I have been absent these few months.

I am a fiberglass bowyer and have been much longer than a maker of knives. The leopard wood is good to go and I have used it as mentioned in my TD rises for awhile without incident. All the woods I use are sealed as any of the exotics are poisonous to so degree.

I have one with a yellow heart I-beam and African teak footing with leopard wood being made for swamprat1958 now but have stalled its construction till my brother passes. The riser is made but the limbs still need to be laid out and glued up.

Rick
12-19-2010, 02:16 PM
Man, my heart goes out to you and your family. Nothing I can say that can ease the pain, I know. Prayers for you. That's some nice looking knife. I know he'll appreciate it.

canid
12-19-2010, 02:28 PM
i was concerned about it's porosity. the stuff i've used sucks up moisture pretty quickly and softens considerably if it's not well sealed, but seems to hold up perfectly if it is.

Erratus Animus
12-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Candid try using super glue gel. works awesome and has been used for many many years by bowyers.

oldtrap59
12-19-2010, 10:08 PM
EA Man I feel for you and your family. Having had some family experience with cancer I know what it can do to not only the one that has it but also his or her family. It's a very helpless feeling. Many prayers coming from east Texas for your brother, you and the whole family.Btw Its a really nice looking knife. I'm sure your brother will love it.

Oldtrap