PDA

View Full Version : Long Johns

RBB
01-10-2008, 11:56 PM
Long johns used to be a must for winter wear. Many of the people I grew up with worked outdoors year round, loggers, trappers, mine workers (open pit mines), and thick wool long johns were a must.

We would go to the Salvation Army store to buy long johns. They had a big bin and you could buy a pair for 25 cents for a top and 25 cents for a bottom, or a union suit for 25 cents. I used to have a whole drawer full of them.

As I've gotten older, one by one they've worn out, or gotten too small to wear.

I've tried other types of long johns, but nothing seems to work quite as well as the wool. Some types I've tried, like polypropylene, keep you warm enough, but stink to high heaven after a couple of days on the trail. I bought some silk long johns a couple of years ago, and they are real comfortable, but not quite enough for really cold weather.

Today, Wing and I went down to Duluth. We did some sight seeing and took a photo of Bob Dyan's first home. We checked several places for wool long johns and I finally ended up getting a pair of Merino wool long johns at the Duluth Pack Store. They cost a little more than 25 cents.

Merino wool long johns (from New Zealand) are not near as thick as the old stuff I remember, but it sure is nicer to wear. It doesn't have the wool "itch" I remember from years ago. And the way we layer ourselves these days - it doesn't have to be as thick. I haven't tried it out on the ice yet, but it seems like it will be just the thing.

What kinds of things are people on the forum using for cold weather?

Rick
01-11-2008, 12:37 AM
Hey RBB - There is some discussion about undies in this thread:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1386&highlight=underwear

wildWoman
01-11-2008, 10:01 PM
I have some Odlo long johns which are really great, I've had them for about 7 years or so and they're still in good shape despite getting worn lots. They're some sort of synthetic material but really warm. You can send worn out stuff back to them and they recycle it into new gear. It's really expensive though, my mom gave them to me, don't think I'd buy them. I also much prefer wool over all this fleece and plastic stuff. I have a couple of angora-wool-mix long johns that are nice and warm but they get very baggy over the years.

MtnRescue
01-12-2008, 12:38 AM
As a base layer, polypro thermals.

RBB
01-12-2008, 07:17 AM
As a base layer, polypro thermals.

I've tried them. Wear them a few days and you stink!

MtnRescue
01-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Anything next to bare skin is going to smell after you wear it a few times, esp thermals if they're not washed too. When we're training in the field I always pack a spare set for that very reason and let my wife deal with them when I get home. :)

I've tried them. Wear them a few days and you stink!

dilligaf2u2
01-13-2008, 05:10 PM
It got down it OMGIIC (Oh My God It Is Cold) out last night, here in New Mexico. My wool thermal long johns found a nice place to spend the night. On me!

Nothing beats wool for keeping you warm.

Don

trax
01-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Woolies, union suit, bring on the itchin' I'm gonna stay warm. Best you can do as far as I'm concerned.

canid
01-14-2008, 07:43 PM
is that anything like So Cold You Can Pee And Lean On It?

i would love wool thermals, but like most things i'd like, i'm going to have to make them. being much cheaper and easier to come by, i have lots of fleece for underwear.

Rick
01-14-2008, 08:10 PM
Lean on it? Now that's impressive, I don't care who you are. God bless them little pygmies down there in New Guinea.