PDA

View Full Version : Broken window panes

wildWoman
12-17-2010, 05:02 PM
If your place is remote, windows don't always make it there in one piece. We have a collection of window panes that we'll be using for our greenhouse and (yet to be built) "wintergarden", to be extremely euphemistic.
I'll be using the copper foil technique as for stained glass (and some coloured glass inserts too), so basically soldering the assorted pieces together. It seems like a practical and hopefully nice-looking way to deal with a real mess.

Rick
12-17-2010, 05:06 PM
Came by air mail again, huh? Those bundle drops can be tuff on stuff.

I think it will look beautiful. I'm a stained glass fan and I like the copper foil technique a lot more than the lead. Not only does it look better in my opinion, it isn't as heavy. Pictures!! Don't forget pictures.

crashdive123
12-17-2010, 05:12 PM
I know you can't afford to waste anything - sounds like a great use of materials that would, in many cases, go unused.

Old GI
12-17-2010, 05:34 PM

I think it will look beautiful. I'm a stained glass fan and I like the copper foil technique a lot more than the lead. Not only does it look better in my opinion, it isn't as heavy. Pictures!! Don't forget pictures.

Bundle drops tough? Well, all the bundles I rigged never .... uh, nevermind; I remember now.

Rick
12-17-2010, 05:35 PM
Only the beer landed softly, OGI.

Old GI
12-17-2010, 06:01 PM
Oh yeah!!!!!! Oh wait; I have no idea what you're talking about.:drink:

wildWoman
12-17-2010, 11:12 PM

No, the problem is getting them into the boat, down the whitewater river, out of the boat and carrying them a few hundred yards. We need some more (obviously) and are actually wondering if a sling load by chopper might not work and even be the cheapest in the end, considering that double and triple panes are expensive up here, even though we always buy used. A Beaver is the largest floatplane in the area and I wouldn't want to try manhandling a mid-sized window into and out of it.

I've been wanting to do stained glass for about a decade, so I'm chomping at the bit to give it a try. But at the speed things are going here, I won't be able to take pictures of anything finished before next year...

Anyway, maybe an idea for other people too. Should make for a pretty neat looking greenhouse if nothing else.

1stimestar
12-18-2010, 02:07 AM
Oh awesome idea. I think it could look fantastic! Yes, throw in a colored piece here and there.

Winnie
12-18-2010, 05:44 AM
Sounds like a great project, WW. Recycling at it's best!
Now, where you been? You've been missed.

wildWoman
12-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Hi Winnie, I hope you're keeping warm and all is well :)
I wasn't able to do much for the last twelve months or so, other than sit around and write a lot because my old dogs needed pretty much constant care. I'm glad I had those last months with them and am looking forward to getting up into the mountains, out on the lake, and into the woods again.

crashdive123
12-19-2010, 12:55 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your four legged friend passing on.

hunter63
12-19-2010, 07:34 PM
WW, I hear ya, lost one of our older "special needs" fur kids this fall.
Always tough....window project sounds like an idea.

tipacanoe
12-19-2010, 10:26 PM
WW, I sure do enjoy reading your writing. What I do read from you is really enlightening.

BENESSE
12-20-2010, 10:02 AM
I love your idea behind utilizing broken pieces of glass to create something beautiful and unique.
On a recent trip to Italy I chanced upon this little walkway to a private home and absolutely fell in love with their creative use of broken tiles. I've no doubt those could be bought for nearly nothing (if not gotten for free) and yet one could do so much.

crashdive123
12-20-2010, 03:11 PM
B - you captured a picture of Bigfoot. Well - at least I think so - they always come out blurry.

wildWoman
12-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the condolences - I'm so sorry to hear that you had to say good-bye to your dog, too, hunter63. It's tough to let go. I'm sure your dog is still with you in spirit.

And hi Bob, good to see you :) I hope you're doing well!

That looks really neat, BENESSE! I also have dreams of a tiled kitchen counter which were immediately revived when I looked at the picture you posted.

huntermj
12-20-2010, 08:09 PM
Ive been a glazier for almost 30 years.
If you are using double and triple pane insulated glass units for a green house ask for them to be sealed with silicon. this way you can use silicone to butt glaze them. Its a simple process and should provide a good seal for many years.
The silicone allows for the expansion and contraction of the glass and substrate while soldiering them together would cause them to fracture due to stress.
If you would like more info please let me know and i would be happy to share.

Rick
12-20-2010, 09:24 PM
you can use silicone to butt glaze them

Is a butt glaze anything like a bikini wax?

huntermj
12-21-2010, 02:23 PM
Only at your house.:scared:

RouteWatch
06-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Greetings WildWoman ,
I love your idea. It has been a while since you posted this and i wonder if you started the project and how is it going... I have several broken windows in the house I just moved into and I'm tempted to do something similar. however I would like to hear your newest thoughts if you're working on it before I go invest in materials to start something I've never done.
Thanks and hope its going great...