PDA

View Full Version : Low-tech, cold climate indoor shower

wildWoman
12-16-2010, 11:30 PM
This could even work as a temporary set-up if your cabin is pretty cramped.
Buy a laundry sink or some other tub with a drain. Build a sturdy stand for it, sturdy enough not to collapse as you stand on it, about 12" to 18" high. The tub goes on there. Underneath (now this is why it's so cunning for cold climates!), you slip a container that will catch the grey water from your shower - this eliminates ice build-up underneath your cabin and nasty cold drafts up the pipe. You can pull out and empty the water after your shower.
The rest is straight-forward - install a shelf above head height where your water bucket will sit, use some old vapour barrier or a fancy shower curtain to avoid a major clean-up of the cabin after you shower, and there you go.

Sourdough
12-17-2010, 12:57 AM
This could even work as a temporary set-up if your cabin is pretty cramped.
Buy a laundry sink or some other tub with a drain. Build a sturdy stand for it, sturdy enough not to collapse as you stand on it, about 12" to 18" high. The tub goes on there. Underneath (now this is why it's so cunning for cold climates!), you slip a container that will catch the grey water from your shower - this eliminates ice build-up underneath your cabin and nasty cold drafts up the pipe. You can pull out and empty the water after your shower.
The rest is straight-forward - install a shelf above head height where your water bucket will sit, use some old vapour barrier or a fancy shower curtain to avoid a major clean-up of the cabin after you shower, and there you go.

Photos we need photos, and not of your boyfriend showering.

wildWoman
12-17-2010, 11:35 AM
*sighs* I see that not much has really changed here, after all :tongue_smilie:

Rick
12-17-2010, 12:04 PM
No ma'am. We are still as ruggedly handsome, witty and helpful as always.

Curious. Do you reclaim the gray water for use?

1stimestar
12-17-2010, 01:59 PM
Wild Woman, here is my low tech shower. We live in a very small cabin.
http://cloud9doula.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/img_2423.jpg?w=420&h=560

I don't have a drain as the tub doubles as a laundy basket (see small cabin above) lol. Also in the summer, I use the grey water for my garden. I have several rain catchment barrels so just dump it into one of them to dilute any soaps before putting it on the garden.

wildWoman
12-17-2010, 02:22 PM
Nice! I was partial to just using one of those plastic totes too but the laundry tubs they sell here are not quite as cramped.
I re-use the grey water for doing laundry, usually.