PDA

View Full Version : cooking bear meat

wareagle69
12-14-2010, 08:34 PM
anyone got any good ways of cooking bear meat? i just made a roast in the slow cooker and gave some to the dog, she hasn't stopped licking her butt since, must be trying to get the taste out of her mouth, the suasage out of this bear was awesome, but the roast so far sucks, might be my methods but i have heard many story on bear meat.
so what say you??????

klickitat
12-14-2010, 09:03 PM
My wife and I have found that cooking bear with tomato sauce is best. There is so much fat in it that it needs to have it cut with something acidic.

We ground most of ours up and either made spaghetti or tacos with it. We made Swedish meatballs one night for dinner. The kids loved them, but they were so rich that my wife and I couldn't hardly get them down. Tomato's really help to cut the fat.

SARKY
12-14-2010, 09:35 PM
A native american friend taught me that you must remove all the fat you can off of the meat. There is plenty in the meat to keep it moist. Then it's lots of onions and other veggies into the roasring pot with the bear meat.

Sourdough
12-14-2010, 10:37 PM
My wife and I have found that cooking bear with tomato sauce is best. There is so much fat in it that it needs to have it cut with something acidic.

We ground most of ours up and either made spaghetti or tacos with it. We made Swedish meatballs one night for dinner. The kids loved them, but they were so rich that my wife and I couldn't hardly get them down. Tomato's really help to cut the fat.

Great......Now when TSHTF I will have to eat the skinny humans, because the fat ones will be marbled with fat.....just great...Hehehehehehe

1stimestar
12-15-2010, 04:33 AM
Great......Now when TSHTF I will have to eat the skinny humans, because the fat ones will be marbled with fat.....just great...Hehehehehehe

Good to know I'll be safe from the zombies.

KhonHd
12-15-2010, 02:00 PM
I agree on removing as much fat as possible. I have eaten lots of black bear and only once that I didn't like it (but I also didn't cook it). I always trim the meat and cook it in the same manner as beef (but well done).

Rick
12-15-2010, 03:45 PM
I've read that bear can have trichinosis so cooking it to the same temp as pork would be a safe procedure?

1stimestar
12-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Yep bears have trichinosis, cook well done.

tipacanoe
12-15-2010, 10:14 PM
I've had it in chili, and you couldn't tell that it was bear, but it was the best chili I have ever eaten. Of course we were ice fishing and everything taste great at that time.