PDA

View Full Version : Leather Gloves

corndog-44
01-10-2008, 08:28 AM
Something I don't hear mentioned often, but which is always in my backpack, is a pair of leather gloves. Not for winter wear, but for hand protection. Great for parting thorny or poisonous bushes out of your way, and also good for avoiding spider and other small critter bites when rooting for firewood in semi darkness when setting up camp.

dilligaf2u2
01-10-2008, 10:21 AM
Here in the desert it is comon practice to have cotton gloves with you in summer. The heat from the sun can turn the average piece of metel into a frying pan on any given afternoons.

I have seen guys leave their skin on the hood of a truck by leaning on it. A wrench becomes a welding rod and what ever metel is left in the sun can get dang hot.

I just always have thin leather gloves with me. and cotton gloves hanging from my rear pocket in summer if I am going to be outside.

Don

Beo
01-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Up here in the north woods we don't wear gloves in the summer, in the winter its whatever you like. I do have a pair of leather gloves but they don't get much use, in winter I have a nice pair of wool gloves.

MtnRescue
01-12-2008, 12:34 AM
When on a SAR tasks or training in the woods I always wear my Mechanix gloves for just the purposes you mentioned. I switch to my leather PMI gloves for rope work.

canid
01-12-2008, 12:39 AM
good question. i only carry gloves for cold weather or synthetic fingerless gloves for climbing. it would be nice to have some with me for snaggly brush.

i once did a 200' rappel [my highest line decent] on the quick without gloves. the rope was wet and it still took skin off [so to speak].

Smok
01-12-2008, 12:44 AM
Good idea with the gloves and if you have others in your group ..say woman.. gloves in there size as well :eek::D

Rick
01-12-2008, 11:27 AM
I have a pair of leather work gloves I use to gather wood for the fire, setting tent stakes or just general chores around the site.

RBB
01-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Something I often think about after I've cut my hand cording up wood or stacking lumber. Somehow I never think of it beforehand.