PDA

View Full Version : Foot care in the field/bush

hoosierarcher
12-13-2010, 03:59 PM
Since I was recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes the medicos have been emphasizing foot care to me. I have been pretty good about it since my Marine training; but will be doing some refresher research. One thing I wanted to touch on is that you should have at least one change of socks in your pack as well as a mild laundry soap and foot powder. Field washing of socks is pretty easy. You can practice in your kitchen sink. Use about a teaspoon of detergent(I like All Small and Mighty, Free and Clear, no endorsement implied just my preference) to a couple gallons of warm water in the sink. I use a collapsible bucket in the field. Put the socks in and swish them around a little then let them soak for at least 5 minutes. If you have sweated enough to crust them up give them a scrub between your hands, one sock at a time and swish them in the soap solution again. Let them soak a bit more then wring them out and immerse then in new clean water, wring them out and repeat until all the soap residue is removed. Then wring them out well and pin the to your pack to dry if your going to leave camp or hang the over a more or less horizontal branch. Use of foot powder helps keep moisture under control and extends the length of wear for your socks some. Antibiotic ointment and small bandages called sensitive spots pads should be used on any blisters. Wash your feet at the end of a days hiking if you can't clean everything at least do your feet and check for blisters, cracked skin, callous build up and treat each as needed.
If you would like more info as I rebuild my knowledge I'll post it. God Bless, Merry Christmas and I truly Wonderful New Year to you all. H.A.

Rick
12-13-2010, 05:19 PM
Good stuff, HA. I air wash my socks when in the field. I let them hang on line or a limb overnight then change the next morning. Blisters should be treated before they are blisters. Hot spots should always be taken care of before they form blisters. I've used duct tape quite a bit just applied to the hot spot. It keeps blisters from forming and protects the skin. I remove the tape at night to let the skin breath and reapply the next day if needed.

FVR
12-13-2010, 10:45 PM
Learned about foot care down in Panama. I always carry two pairs of dry socks in plastic bags when I go to the field.

Been know to take off the mocs or boots and just stand in a cold stream for awhile. Hell, been know to just strip down and jump in...in February. LOL. Cold but worth it.

Ole WV Coot
12-13-2010, 11:07 PM
Gotta go with Frank on the extra socks in a plastic bag and the cold foot bath. Can't be too careful if you're diabetic plus when your feet hurt you hurt all over.

hoosierarcher
12-16-2010, 10:15 PM
Learned about foot care down in Panama. I always carry two pairs of dry socks in plastic bags when I go to the field.

Been know to take off the mocs or boots and just stand in a cold stream for awhile. Hell, been know to just strip down and jump in...in February. LOL. Cold but worth it.
Yea but February in Georgia isn't the same as it is in say Minnesota, is it?

hoosierarcher
12-16-2010, 10:36 PM
Good stuff, HA. I air wash my socks when in the field. I let them hang on line or a limb overnight then change the next morning. Blisters should be treated before they are blisters. Hot spots should always be taken care of before they form blisters. I've used duct tape quite a bit just applied to the hot spot. It keeps blisters from forming and protects the skin. I remove the tape at night to let the skin breath and reapply the next day if needed.
I agree about treating the hot spots before they become blisters; but sometimes you don't notice until it's too late. Nice tip about the duct tape. Speaking of duct tape I wish someone made a roll that wasn't on those large cardboard tubes. If they were rolled onto something like a 1/4" rod you could fit a rather large amount in your pocket a lot easier.

crashdive123
12-16-2010, 10:58 PM
I agree about treating the hot spots before they become blisters; but sometimes you don't notice until it's too late. Nice tip about the duct tape. Speaking of duct tape I wish someone made a roll that wasn't on those large cardboard tubes. If they were rolled onto something like a 1/4" rod you could fit a rather large amount in your pocket a lot easier.

Roll it yourself from a bigger roll. I do it all the time, and it's easy peasy.

kyratshooter
12-16-2010, 11:08 PM
When I was in the army on long missions I stashed socks everywhere. One trick we used was to carry extras as strap pads. A couple of pair of GI socks under the alice straps was a good cushion.

We rinsed dirty ones out at stream crossings. Hung them from the pack or put them under the straps if it was wet anyway. Often there was no such thing as dry socks. Even if you had them in plastic they would be soaked before you got them on your feet.

It took me 25 years to get rid of the jungle rot.

FVR
12-19-2010, 12:07 PM
Hoos,

Don't care where you are, dry clean feet are worth it.

You have to use common sense, but personally if it was a decision between cold dry feet and cold wet feet, I will take the cold dry feet.