PDA

View Full Version : Are gaiters for you?

corndog-44
01-10-2008, 08:19 AM
The benefits far outweigh the negatives for me. Yeah, they're unnecesary weight but they do have their benefits. The biggest benefit is protecting the legs from briar, bramble, poison ivy and overgrowth. Even when hiking on roadways they keep the stones out and saves emptying out your boots/shoes.

Beo
01-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Always starting these great threads that get us going, keep up the good work. For the record I wear gaitors, mine are canvas and of the older style coming up to about a hands width above the knee. I have waterproofed them with a boiled linseed and bees wax mix, then applied snow seal over the top. I wear them to great use and they save my legs and pants. The weight is minimal so I think they are worth the effort.
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/6945/gaitersse0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Not Mine but mine look like these only brown.

Sourdough
01-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Wear gaiters to keep the snow out. Summer no gaiters. Here is a idea....!!!! We take bunny boots and glue the gaiters on forever, the gaiter is now part of the boot. There is no down side to this at all.

Rick
01-10-2008, 09:41 PM
You need a new tag, Hopeak:

"ALASKAN ENGINEERING And CONSULTING" 38 Years Experience contact:

You come up with more ideas.

canid
01-10-2008, 10:34 PM
i like gaiters to keep out sand, snow and brush. don't currently own any, but would not hesitate to buy or make some if i thought i might need some.

are you familiar with burdock? i recently discovered two burrs from them inside the cuff one a pair of pants i had picked up a few days prior. blackberry, devil's club, etc would have been more painful :D

Sourdough
01-10-2008, 11:51 PM
You need a new tag, Hopeak:

"ALASKAN ENGINEERING And CONSULTING" 38 Years Experience contact:

You come up with more ideas.

Rick, It is the K.I.S.S. theory, Keep It Simple "Survival"......Ha-Ha-Ha

The 4 years at R.I.T. Gotta' learn something, and spelling was not one of them.

RBB
01-11-2008, 12:00 AM
I use them while cross-country skiing. They came with the skis and ski-boot we bought in 1974. They are from Norway - bright colored canvas and beautifully made. They are good for keeping snow out of those low little cross country ski boots.

carcajou garou
01-11-2008, 05:02 PM
I used to use gaiters a lot especialy in briar areas, but for some unknown reason have neglected to keep up that part of my outdoor outfit? go figure!
Indians used leggings part in the same intention, saves in replacing only the bottom moccasin.

Rick
01-11-2008, 05:06 PM
Beo - I'm sorry, I can't access your picture. It looks like the gaiters have lacing up the side. I was wondering if they have a "storm flap" at the lacing to keep snow out.

Carcajou - Did you have canvas or leather gaiters?

carcajou garou
01-11-2008, 05:25 PM
I made them myself out of leather, along with an overvest "jerkin"
I also had nylon gaiters for winter use in wetter weather on the line.

wildWoman
01-11-2008, 10:05 PM
I mostly use gaiters in the winter. Are any of you guys using chaps in the summer when bushwhacking?? I've been thinking of making some since we have a lot of wild roses growing here that pierce through most pants.

Nativedude
01-22-2008, 12:40 AM
I have 2 pair I made from Bison hide. Very strong and waterproof. 1 pair is thinner (for summer) and the other, of course, is thicker for winter. :)

Have had them for neigh-on to 8 years now and they are in really good condition. I coat them with boiled Elk brain and beeswax about 3 times a year. Keeps them supple, waterproof, and looking new!

Sourdough
01-22-2008, 01:02 AM
I mostly use gaiters in the winter. Are any of you guys using chaps in the summer when bushwhacking?? I've been thinking of making some since we have a lot of wild roses growing here that pierce through most pants.

I use the FILSON Tin chaps, about $89.00 yankee dollar, About $85.00 Loonies

Beo
01-22-2008, 10:07 AM
Rick those are buttons, 16 of them, thay work great only mine are brown, I also have a pair made of wool and a pair made of deer hide, Nativedude if there made from a hide there not gaiters there leggings, but thats just being word technical. I like the way you keep them coated shows true grit to do it the old way :D WildWoman no need for chaps, a god pair of leggings work great and made from a hide skin they will last forever if you treat them like Native Dude does, a good pair of leggings has a strap that ties off to your belt, just like the Native Americans did.