PDA

View Full Version : Do You Have What it Takes?

Rick
01-09-2008, 08:45 PM
We've been talking about surviving winter conditions and some of the things we can do to improve our chances of not only coming out alive but enjoying and learning from the experience in the process. Now the challenge. Do you have what it takes to survive 100 mph gales at the top of a 16,000 ft. mountain in Antarctica? What would you want to have with you?

http://www.dailynewstranscript.com/homepage/x1157718166

canid
01-09-2008, 09:01 PM
no thank you, but here goes:

1 down parka, full length with draw closures at waist, hood and sleeves.
1 pair down pants
2 pair gloves [if you loose one, you loose fingers]
1 fleece shirt, close fitting
1 pair fleece pants, close fitting
2 pair underwear, 1 extra for when i sh!@ myself...
1 bibler tent
100' p-cord for staking and etc.
6 snow anchors for tent
1 8' x 5' tarp for backup
1 synthetic fill mummy bag, 0deg rating
1 wide thermarest
1 folding shovel

couple lb butter.
10lb multigrain cereal
2 bic lighters; one inside parka and one around neck.
1 qt billy with lid
1 gal collapsable water container

1 gal white gas
1 white gas stove small enough to fit inside parka for pre-warming

1 good [long] book.

carcajou garou
01-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Seal skin anorak, pant, mitts, mukluks...
Seal meat and blubber, ulu..
Qulliq, flint & steel
Snow knife, shovel
a good book

canid
01-09-2008, 10:53 PM
would you depend on the ability to make a snow shelter of some kind? in gale winds i would want an alternative in case the avalable camp space where stripped bare. from what i gather, snow dosen't consolidate well down there.

Sarge47
01-10-2008, 01:45 AM
We've been talking about surviving winter conditions and some of the things we can do to improve our chances of not only coming out alive but enjoying and learning from the experience in the process. Now the challenge. Do you have what it takes to survive 100 mph gales at the top of a 16,000 ft. mountain in Antarctica? What would you want to have with you?

http://www.dailynewstranscript.com/homepage/x1157718166

If trees don't grow, Homey don't go!:eek::cool:

TBBucs
01-10-2008, 01:52 AM
Canid: That was my thought as well. From what I hear, I don't think I'd want to rely solely on a snow cave. Although, I can't really think of a better (or any) alternative.

What got me is the fact that he was able to call for help, but nobody could help him. Imagine if you were in a life-threatening situation, and somebody told you that they can't help, that you were on your own. That's considerably different psychologically than being completely alone in a survival situation with nobody aware of your location.

Oh, and nice one, Remy :D

canid
01-10-2008, 01:58 AM
not just snow cave, there are many types of snow shelter, appropriate for differing snow conditions, but i still wouldn't want to have to rely on one in such circumstance.

Aurelius95
01-10-2008, 07:55 AM
I am no mountain climber. I've hiked a few mountains in NH like the guy in the article, but not the ice falls. I've climbed, if you can call it that, several in GA. After reading Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer, I read his account of his climb up Everest in 1996. One of the main take aways is the fact that there are "climbers" out there who get to the top by hiring someone to assist them. In some areas, that's a good idea to have a guide help you be successful. Fishing, hunting, etc. But in the case of some of these extreme sports, many times the clients are not experienced in their own right to be on the mountain in the first place. In 1996, 8 people died in a 24 hour period due to a sudden storm, inexperienced climbers, and guides who ignored predetermined turn around times to ensure their clients reached the top. They all made it to the top, they just didn't return.

I don't feel I am in a place to judge this guy who climbed with a guide in Antarctica, but I think each person needs to judge for himself/herself if he/she is really up to the task. These guys were very fortunate that help came from an unexpected place- 10 Austrian climbers. It probably would have turned out much worse otherwise.

Beo
01-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Not big on the artic thing, I been to some cold places... but not gong to the artic and climb any mountains... so I really don't know cause I won't go... except for a price :D

Rick
01-10-2008, 12:30 PM
TBBucs, IMHO, I think you hit on the very essence of the article. That was what struck me when I read it. How would I react mentally if I knew folks could not reach me?

Several years ago a site seeing company in Alaska took a group of visitors out onto one of the glaciers by helo. It was shrouded in fog and the helo landed hard. Too hard. Everyone was okay but they had to send in another helo to pick them up. Same thing. They were told to wait it out. I don't remember how long they were on the ice but it was quite a while until weather permitted a rescue. So you don't have to be in Antarctica for something like that to happen. You could be hiking/trekking. Just a nice little few hour jaunt. A white out, fog, location (cliff side, deep gorge), heavy rain or even time of day and you might hear on the cell or radio, "wait it out". If you're laying there with a broken femur, those would not be good words.

By the way, with all the other gear canid listed (nice job, by the way) I'd add shades and oxygen (16k feet).

marberry
01-16-2008, 08:55 PM
1 cyanide pill to put me out of my misery

trax
01-17-2008, 01:57 PM
1 tv with CNN so I can sit warm at home and watch the news about the untimely deaths of whoever wants to go there and try it. Penguins are cute...not smart....cute...:D :D I'm with Sarge and Beo on this one

dilligaf2u2
01-17-2008, 10:27 PM
Now other then being able to prove mental illness! WHY would you want to go there in the first place?

I want a starbucks waiting. Lots and lots of fire wood and Dolly Parton. Hey if I am going to dream? Lets dream large.

Don

Sarge47
01-18-2008, 08:12 AM
Yeah, I'd pull a "Gylli Manilli" & head for the nearest motel!