PDA

View Full Version : Making Homemade Micarta

crashdive123
12-11-2010, 07:43 AM
This is a three part video series on how to make your own micarta.

wEKCu9bU9mg

MfT8O6FPhIQ

UszpBOoIL8Y

RunsWithDeer
12-11-2010, 09:21 AM
Very nice videos. I like the use of multi-colored micarta, gives the knife a lot of character. Good job.

OhioGrizzLapp
03-10-2011, 08:48 AM
Very nice, clear and concise videos. Someday I aspire to make some vids of the stuff I do. I am so tech challanged that my 12:00 on my VCR still flashes, so I fixed that with a lil bit of Gorilla brand tape on the screen face where the 12:00 blinks. I just bought a new camera and trying here and there with stills. Not even close to making vids yet. Yes, I said VCR, I still watch and record on tapes a lot........

Crash, what is the purpose of wetting the inside scales before gluing them to the knife blank?

crashdive123
03-10-2011, 09:24 AM
Very nice, clear and concise videos. Someday I aspire to make some vids of the stuff I do. I am so tech challanged that my 12:00 on my VCR still flashes, so I fixed that with a lil bit of Gorilla brand tape on the screen face where the 12:00 blinks. I just bought a new camera and trying here and there with stills. Not even close to making vids yet. Yes, I said VCR, I still watch and record on tapes a lot........

Crash, what is the purpose of wetting the inside scales before gluing them to the knife blank?

The wetting step is called for in the directions (yep, I really read them) of the glue I'm using when one or more of the surfaces is hard/non-porous.

IA Woodsman
03-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Cool video, very well explained thanks.

OhioGrizzLapp
03-10-2011, 11:05 AM
* runs to look at the Gorilla glue bottle..... dang, yep, been using the stuff for years and never knew that LOL Although almost all I use it on is wood and leather. I use an aweful lot of the stuff and get it in gallon jugs with air sealed pump tops.

After seeing your video here, I was thinking of making a set of home made micarta grips in Olive Drab/Black/Dark Tan for my Para-Ord Nite Hog .45. ............ maybe even re-handling a Cold Steel SRK by taking the kryton handle off and replacing with the same colors as the one for the nite hog.

crashdive123
03-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

OhioGrizzLapp
03-31-2011, 10:43 PM
I have some CrashCarta in process today.... black blue jeans, older US Army Olive Drab BDU material and the new digital tan camo material. I took some pics, just no time to upload. It is drying and curing right now in between the boards.

Crash, have you ever worked with Kevlar material. I have an old bullet proof vest that has been rendered useless due to UV light on the kevlar......It is a yellow color....?

crashdive123
04-01-2011, 06:57 AM
I have not worked with kevlar. Should work though. Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out.

cbr6fs
04-29-2011, 08:30 PM
Fantastic videos, thanks for taking the time to put them together.

Excellent tutorials.