PDA

View Full Version : Who can??

glockcop
12-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Were can I get a set of knife scales for my Kabar Becker Necker BK11 that are a little longer than the tang part of the handle and removable (with screws). I'd like the scales a little longer by maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch because in it's original configuration, the handle is a little bit short for my liking. Material does not matter but wood or micarta are what I'm looking for. How much do they cost? Just kicking around the idea of this enhancement. Any companies presently offering this?

Rick
12-09-2010, 06:20 PM
I know you can buy micarta handles for it but I don't know about the extra length.

http://newgraham.com/store/product/7156/Becker-Necker-Micarta-Handle/

glockcop
12-10-2010, 02:07 AM
Thanks, Rick. I have seen these before but want something a little longer. Preciate it though.

Camp10
12-10-2010, 06:57 AM
I think if you want something other than a stock replacement, you are going to have to buy the raw micarta and make them. Any knife supplier sells micarta by the piece. It can be worked with a bandsaw and a belt sander. Crash is the micarta king...when he heals up, you might try to get him to redo your handle for you.

glockcop
12-10-2010, 10:17 AM
I think if you want something other than a stock replacement, you are going to have to buy the raw micarta and make them. Any knife supplier sells micarta by the piece. It can be worked with a bandsaw and a belt sander. Crash is the micarta king...when he heals up, you might try to get him to redo your handle for you.

Thanks for the info. I'm fairly handy with my tools,I guess. I may have to make some myself. There is a first time for everything :scared:.

Rick
12-10-2010, 10:24 AM
If you want to make your own micarta, Crash did an excellent video tutorial on how to do it.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12120&highlight=making+micarta

jc1234
12-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Im having Dan Certo make me a pair of bright orange G10 scales for a knife he made me. He also works with Micarta and can make it slick or grippy. I dont know if he would do just scales, but I bet he would. his website is relentlessknives.com his work is top notch, but since everything is hand made it can take a little while.