PDA

View Full Version : Videos by Forum Members

Chris
12-08-2010, 09:39 PM
So, some of you are youtubing...

I have an idea...

What if I made a subforum called "Videos by Forum Members" that you could toss a link into every time you posted a new video to youtube? Would people use this?

Trabitha
12-08-2010, 09:49 PM
I only load up family stuff...like chorus and band concerts on youtube. ;) if I got that new cool camcorder I've been eyeing I may do more. *hint-hint to hubby* Either way...don't think y'all would be very interested in my videos. ;)

roar-k
12-08-2010, 09:55 PM
That would be pretty neat actually. I have been wanting to do a few videos for reviews or other stuff.

hunter63
12-08-2010, 11:20 PM
I think that would be a good idea, saves all the "I know I saw it, now where is that vid...."
I vote yes.

rwc1969
12-09-2010, 01:27 AM
I usually just post mine in the forum that makes the most sense topic wise, i.e. primitive skills or hunting/ fishing, making stuff, etc.

Pal334
12-09-2010, 05:29 AM
I think it is a good idea. Those that are able to share videos are giving us a great resource. It would be nice to have a central place for them, along with seeing them in a thread

Chris
12-09-2010, 09:23 AM
I usually just post mine in the forum that makes the most sense topic wise, i.e. primitive skills or hunting/ fishing, making stuff, etc.
you could always do both

Justin Case
12-09-2010, 09:38 AM
since it would be a sub forum, each video could/would be its own thread,, seems like a good idea, would make them easier to find :)

RangerXanatos
12-09-2010, 10:10 AM
How about a set-up like in the Making Stuff - How To Tutorials. Have a place for general videos and then a subforum for the Members Videos. If you do make the catergory for videos, would you also make it so we could embed them instead of just posting a link?

your_comforting_company
12-09-2010, 05:55 PM
ditto. If I had a way to make vids, I would most likely keep them in the proper forum and discussion. It would be VERY cool tho, if folks could upload them to the WSF server, or at least embed them instead of having a new window open.
(got my fingers crossed on the cam!)

Chris
12-09-2010, 11:30 PM
yes, they would be able to be embedded

rwc1969
12-10-2010, 12:38 AM
I think simply having them embedded in the proper forum would be best rather than have a forum which is nothing but videos.

I personally wouldn't upload them to both forums. It would be too confusing.

Having them embedded is a great idea.

crashdive123
12-11-2010, 07:22 AM
I like the idea of a video section just for how-to and review videos. Posting them in the pertinent section as well is a good idea. This way, if somebody is looking for an instructional video they can search the video sub-forum (like you may currently do on youtube) rather than the making stuff or primitive skills sub-forum where there may or may not be a video.

Camp10
12-11-2010, 08:31 AM
I need someone to do a tutorial on how to make, edit and load a video! Lol. I've taken the time to do a complete knife on video from pattern to finish but have no idea how to edit it and make it all run together. I ended up with 6 or 7 30 second pieces (seperate from each other and the longer clips) that need to be there but I cant put them together....its a mess.

Someone help me!

crashdive123
12-11-2010, 09:51 AM
PM on the way.

charibelle18
12-11-2010, 11:06 AM
That would be great having a place to view the vids. I have enjoyed all that I have seen so far.

your_comforting_company
01-04-2011, 11:15 PM
I've been working on the vids for the tanning.. Which is better?:
several short clips so you can see details without searching the whole video
or
one long video containing several clips.

This thing is breaking down into about 40-50 short clips, or I can condense it into about 10 long clips

It's easier for me to load short clips onto youtube, and join them together, but what about the viewer? What's better for them?

crashdive123
01-04-2011, 11:23 PM
YCC - I've enjoyed the way you have included several short clips as individual posts in one thread. It makes them easy to watch without taking too much time away from other reading or interests on the forum. Some vids are fairly easy to edit down to a manageable size and not lose too much content. A process such as you are showing might lose something with too much editing.

rwc1969
01-04-2011, 11:37 PM
I feel the average attention span on Youtube is pretty short, well under 5 minutes, but 50 vids seems like an awful lot, maybe find a happy medium and edit into steps. If, as you said, you link them together on YT that might be best for you and the viewers.

The thing with this type of in depth coverage is it takes a lot of time to show it all properly. So, you're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. You Tube has a feature called insight on your videos page that shows when folks tune out or tune in along with all kinds of other stats.

Many vids get edited down so much that the content suffers IMO.

your_comforting_company
01-05-2011, 12:18 AM
I do not want the content lost. that's the thing.. The vids show the details that you can't explain in the written version. Also, I realize the attention spans can be pretty short, and a person might just need to see one detail instead of a 10 minute video. I think I like the clips too. Just a little more frustrating to post and keep in order.

just trying to keep the viewer in mind.

I'm a long way from hollywood material, but maybe it's coherent enough to follow along lol. Thanks guys.