PDA

View Full Version : poison ivy remedies

owl_girl
05-13-2007, 04:26 PM
I have never gotten poison ivy myself but I have gotten burning weed many times. My dad was immune to poison ivy so maybe that’s the case for me as well. These are some natural remedies I found online for poison ivy, poison oak, burning weed, poison sumac and stuff like that

Tee Tree oil apply freely
Touch-me-nots boil it and apply
Rhubarb brake open stem and rub on infected area
Goldenseal Root powder and Aloe Vera make a paste out of Goldenseal Root powder and Aloe Vera Gel. Rub it onto the infected area.
Vicks vapor rub Clean the infected areas first and then rub Vick's on the areas twice a day or more.
Baking Soda apply a paste made of baking soda and water to the rash. Allow this paste to dry before washing off.
Baking soda and coffee put about a half a cup baking soda in a bowl and slowly add cool coffee to make a thick paste. Then apply the paste liberally to the affected area and allow to dry. The poison will flow out of the blisters like water.
Apple cider vinegar or some other vinegar will do
Table salt stops spreading
Banana peel rub it on the infected area
Hemorrhoid ointment rub on infected area
Peachtree leaves Get some leaves from a peach tree, boil them and then let the water cool. Take a cotton ball and apply the liquid to the affected areas
Broad-leaved Plantain a common weed which grows throughout the US, mash the leaves and pack the pulp on the infected area

To help prevent breakouts scrub with a grease cutting dish soap immediately after contact. Pleas share any other recopies and which ones you think work the best.:D

wolf
05-14-2007, 04:12 PM
im not sure but cant you use raw honey?

wolf
05-14-2007, 04:13 PM
o and I ussaly use the plantains

grazer
06-11-2008, 02:33 AM
Touch-me-nots, or jewelweed, is best not boiled, but steeped like tea. Bring the water to a boil, remove from heat, throw in the plant, including stems and leaves, and steep for ten minutes or so. It can be used for all kinds of skin iritations, and its useful to know that it is also antifungal and somewhat antiseptic, although honey is a better antiseptic if you have some (recommended). The jewelweed infusion or "tea" does not keep well on a shelf or in the fridge, but retains its useful characteristics if frozen. It is ok to boil it, but not quite as potent. The plants can be eaten, but after cooking down, it shrinks considerably so you need a ton of it and it does not taste like much. Might as well eat it as throw it away though if you are hungry. The ripe seeds are edible and quite good.

bulrush
06-11-2008, 07:41 AM
Touch me not does not need to be boiled. Simply mash the leaves and rub on affected area. I have not tried this on poison ivy but I have tried it on stinging nettle and it works tremendously well. Pain and swelling from nettle was gone in 1 minute. Now how many expensive presciption drugs can say they work in a minute?

Rick
06-11-2008, 07:52 AM
For the ivy, if possible, wash the infected area to remove the oils and remove any clothing that the oils may have touched. Otherwise you will spread the oil and the irritation. Then apply the crushed jewelweed.

RangerXanatos
06-11-2008, 10:51 AM
My dad has gotten into poison ivy while mowing the yard. He poured gasoline on it and never broke out. Don't know if there's something to that though.

Rick
06-11-2008, 10:53 AM
On the one hand, the gasoline would probably dissolve the oils. On the other, maybe he did have any of the oil on him. (shrug).

Beo
06-11-2008, 11:07 AM
I know I'm gonna get ripped apart for this, but I heard urine is good on poison ivy, I have never had it personally even after walking through it many times, for some reason it doesn't cling to me, and I have never pee'd on myself (since age 26 when I quit drinking) or anyone else (see above comment on peeing age... lol) and have no plans to do it in the near or far distant future. But that's what I heard.

Rick
06-11-2008, 11:10 AM
I would think there is a smidgen of truth to that because it could wash the oil off the skin. Don't know if it's good for it after you catch it but any liquid would help remove the oil I would think. Just my thoughts rattling around.

Beo
06-11-2008, 11:25 AM
Something about amonia in it if recall correctly.

Gray Wolf
06-11-2008, 11:28 AM
have no plans to do it in the near or far distant future.

Beo If you do get affected, It would be my honor to help you out... :D

RobertRogers
06-11-2008, 12:05 PM
About half of all people are not affected by poison ivy.

The blisters are actually your own antigens produced in over abundance in response to oils in the plant.

dscrick
08-20-2008, 01:16 PM
Jewel weed works great on poison ivy/oak, and it grows all over around here. We steep it into a tea, then freeze it in ice cube trays. Just rub one of the cubes on the affected area.

Ray
08-23-2008, 06:35 PM
Kinda messed up...

Poison Ivy, Now With Stronger Poison
http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/06/27/poison-ivy-now-with-stronger-poison/

crashdive123
08-23-2008, 06:37 PM
Good info Ray. When you get a chance, head on over to the introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks.

Rick
08-23-2008, 08:41 PM
That is a good article. Makes sense. I wonder if the flip side is they also produce more O2 because they are more robust and growing faster. Respiration is a two way street.

trax
08-25-2008, 12:06 PM
I know I'm gonna get ripped apart for this, but I heard urine is good on poison ivy, and have no plans to do it in the near or far distant future. But that's what I heard.

Forget what Gray Wolf said, bro, when I see you I'm just going to assume that you've been affected by poison ivy and.....:D :D :D

Gray Wolf
08-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Now that's a friend! :rolleyes:

jrock24
08-25-2008, 02:00 PM
I heard Tomatoe paste works for temp relief.

Gray Wolf
08-25-2008, 02:07 PM
I heard a bottle of White Lightning works for temp relief. If you don't have any, you can substitute with Moonshine...

Gray Wolf
08-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Has anyone tried TecNu?

http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view/technu.html

trax
08-25-2008, 02:26 PM
not that I know of, has anyone tried to TecNu?

nell67
08-25-2008, 02:30 PM
Has anyone tried TecNu?

http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view/technu.html

Yea,I bought it for my son when he had a very bad case a few years ago,and I guess it worked for a little while,but then had to be reapplied,he still had to be put on steroids though.

I have a spot on my leg right now,that broke out even though I used Dawn,it broke out in a scratch on my leg,made the jewelweed tea,no more itching,and it has not spread,can't say that about anything I have ever bought over the counter,OR gotten by RX

Rick
08-25-2008, 03:43 PM
Pssst. Trax, you gotta start listen to her. You should have known that!

trax
08-25-2008, 04:09 PM
I thought TecNu was a verb phrase, my bad.

Rick
08-25-2008, 05:07 PM
We must listen to these women. If not for the witty repartee' then simply to keep our a$$ out of the dog house.:D

"You never to listen to a thing I say!"
"What?"

That night.

"So, wise guy, puttin' on a little weight? Either you make my house a bit larger or you learn to keep your mouth shut. Just my 2 cents."
"Thanks, Bowser. Pass the Gravy Train."
"My food too? Have you no shame?"