PDA

View Full Version : If you could make any of your gear Gore-tex...

beetlejuicex3
12-05-2010, 07:44 PM
with a magic wand what would it be and why?

And, for the sake of the really enthusiastic fabrics people out there let's pretend it can be any type of gore-tex: XCR, paclite, 3-layer WPB, 2-layer WPB and so on.

If you don't like gore-tex, what is your favorite waterproof/breathable material?

beetlejuicex3
12-05-2010, 08:00 PM
To answer my own question, what about gore-tex on the backs of my fleece lined leather work gloves. Or some cold weather gore-tex boots...

tipacanoe
12-05-2010, 08:43 PM
I'll take a Gore-TeX hunting jacket with a hood to replace what I have now with a hood. I need my jacket to breath much better. I really appreciate you sending us all this stuff and I'm sure that every one else will appreciate their stuff as much as I do mine. I just watched the new Harry Potter film, and I'm starting to believe in these wands. In all my years, I don't know how I really didn't pay attention to the magic.

klickitat
12-05-2010, 08:57 PM
For me it would be my poncho. I love my military poncho's but they just don't seam to hold up very well. I would love it if they were gore-tex.

Batch
12-05-2010, 09:32 PM
I don't own any goretex. But, I would like to try the rain ponch or jacket.

NightShade
12-05-2010, 09:39 PM
I have a lot of gore Tex gear already.. Luv it!.... But... I don't have gore Tex underwear, not sure if they make it.. Or if it would do any good....
But,... Magic wand?... Yup I'd turn my underwear goretex!

Gilmore
12-05-2010, 10:01 PM
i would make my waders gore-tex... if it were warm and waterproof! my waders are Neoprine and aren't holding up very well

canid
12-06-2010, 05:38 AM
For my purposes i'd say riding/hiking shell jacket, but for those in the real cold i'd probably lean towards the boots.

my feet get swampy easily.

1stimestar
12-06-2010, 07:21 AM
My nose...

hunter63
12-06-2010, 12:26 PM
LOL, you don't need a magic wand, just a lot of cash, and I guess I didn't know that Gore-tex as all that water proof, nore all that warm, but here ya go:

http://frontrangeanglers.com/products/Simms%20Waders?gclid=CODog9iE2KUCFdk65QodMmeTyQ

beetlejuicex3
12-06-2010, 02:38 PM
...but here ya go:

http://frontrangeanglers.com/products/Simms%20Waders?gclid=CODog9iE2KUCFdk65QodMmeTyQ

Looks like there's 5 layer gore-tex in the waders, I wonder what 5 layer gore-tex is...

By itself I don't think gore-tex is known to be an insulator, just a good wind and water barrier that is breathable. I wonder if the waders are lined with something.

I saw on another board someone wanted to sew goretex patches on knees and rear of their pants.

hunter63
12-06-2010, 02:55 PM
GB, That would probably work, I have done that with nylon just to be able to keep my butte and legs dry.
I have a Gore-tex rain suit for hunting, but is noisy in the brush and not warm, but then again, no insulation.

It's not an end all, material, but another tool in the box................

finallyME
12-06-2010, 04:29 PM
First, I would switch to eVent. Then I would make socks, gaiters, pants, jacket, and mitts. I wouldn't want a poncho that is gortex or other WPB. I also don't like boots that have a WPB liner in them, well most of the time.

Asger
12-06-2010, 04:32 PM
A pair of goretex pants!

NCO
12-06-2010, 05:49 PM
I'd say boots. I have both leather and rubber boots, so it might be a nice change.

Mischief
12-06-2010, 05:59 PM
All my Buckskinning stuff from shelter to jock strap:devil2:

Rick
12-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Ah, another thong man in the midst.

Ole WV Coot
12-06-2010, 07:46 PM
I have a lot of gore Tex gear already.. Luv it!.... But... I don't have gore Tex underwear, not sure if they make it.. Or if it would do any good....
But,... Magic wand?... Yup I'd turn my underwear goretex!

Truly a person with common sense. Ain't nothing spoils your day like wet drawers, either from the outside in or inside out:oops:

canid
12-06-2010, 08:44 PM
it's not all that warm, but it's just a barrier layer. serves the same purpose as a water proof layer but allows transpiration.

a material which lets air and water vapor through, but not liquid water must be appreciated by all but the most stubborn.

not all goretex is created equal, but it's very water-proof. you wouldn't want to build a boat out of it, but you can pour water on it all day long without it coming through.

it's too bad the seams aren't often done so well on garments made with it.

Gilmore
12-06-2010, 09:28 PM
yup i'd say those waders are very nice

crimescene450
12-07-2010, 11:49 PM
is goretex worth the money?

i was looking at jackets a week ago, and came up to some and thought, "wow! how nice..."

then i looked at the price...

canid
12-08-2010, 02:30 AM
it depends on how much you are happy to spend, and how demanding your requirements are.

i would own a bunch of goretex gear if i had a fair amount more disposable income, and wouldn't mind spending it. since i don't; i don't mind using rubberized materials and nylon, leather, etc.

as i said above i don't require the driest possible conditions as one in extreme cold might.

crimescene450
12-08-2010, 04:18 AM
as i said above i don't require the driest possible conditions as one in extreme cold might.

yeah seeing that i live in CA most of the year i dont think i need it. but you never know. it sometimes gets as cold as the mid-50's here! brrr.

canid
12-08-2010, 06:03 AM
even in this climate, while goretex is far from nessecary, it is really nice in cool/cold wet weather.

also; we had lows in the mid/low 20s here several days ago. that's almost cold, right..?

beetlejuicex3
12-08-2010, 08:24 AM
First, I would switch to eVent. Then I would make socks, gaiters, pants, jacket, and mitts. I wouldn't want a poncho that is gortex or other WPB. I also don't like boots that have a WPB liner in them, well most of the time.

Yeah I dont' think anyone woud buy a poncho that was made unneccesarily expensive by the addition of a WPB fabric, since ponchos breath on 3 sides as is.

eVent looks sweet! There are some nice comparison charts on it's breathability, I think at REI. It's allegedly 200% more breathable than gore-tex. I've never seen any of it in person and from the cost of it probably won't.

There's a bivy maker who will make the top shell of your bivy out of eVent as a custom option. It raises the bivy price by $79. Since it should only take about 2 yards for that purpose I would guess eVent costs around $30/yard? XCR goretex is about $20.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
12-08-2010, 10:01 AM
I like goretex..I used to do quite a bit of duckhunting. I have a jacket that is whisper quiet and rainproof....love it. I have chippewah waterproof snakeboots love'em but they do have a seep now. I think siliconing the welt might fix them as well as beeswaxing the leather, I let the leather dry out a bit much after spending many years standing in the swamp. made of buffalo hide. I have some danners boots also goretex..haven't put them to the test yet.

hunter63
12-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Yeah I dont' think anyone woud buy a poncho that was made unneccesarily expensive by the addition of a WPB fabric, since ponchos breath on 3 sides as is.

Ever got a "good deal" on a used military poncho?
You know, 3 poncho's for $10 bucks, or some such........Then you unfold it, and smells of dirty soaks, barf, and God know what else.......
There is a reason that the store them in a shopping cart...outside the surplus store, LOL.

Gortex breaths from the inside out, supposed to keep you from sweating as bad, in any kind of weather, while keeping water out, or at least that's what your paying for.

Has it's place in your gear............