PDA

View Full Version : passed my trappers exam

wareagle69
12-04-2010, 02:45 PM
well, i passed today, had a writtem exam and feild test, my feild sets were one aquatic set, which i drew marten, and land set which i drew fisher.
the marten i used a 330 connibear in a channel set and the fisher i used a 220 connibear in a pole set, so now i am legal
now starts the real training i am to be a trap line helper for at least this year and maybe next year, my buddy has a couple trap lines and needs help making quota. Shoule be allot of fun getting out in the bush and perfecting my traps, but more importantly ensuring my survival ability and skills
stay tuned
WE

crashdive123
12-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Congratulations. Now - go get a faster Internet connection so you can upload pictures dag-nab-it!

Rick
12-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Congrats, WE. How many questions on the written exam and what kind of questions do they ask? Do you have to serve as an apprentice or could you go out now and trap on your own if you wanted to? Just curious.

Sourdough
12-04-2010, 03:18 PM
I have never trapped. But as a method of survival ie food in your belly and hides to use or sell, in my opinion it (trapping) is a far more useful skill than foraging for wild edibles, or hunting. If I was younger, trapping is a skill I would add to my lifestyle. Congratulations Wareagle.

klickitat
12-04-2010, 04:00 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I am truly happy for you.

wareagle69
12-04-2010, 04:23 PM
SD- i agree that trapping for survival is more effective than hunting-in my case, and as much as it pains me to agree, more effective than wild edibles, but all 3 skills put together, well it offers me a much better chance, and my future students as well.
rick- i scored 90% on the written test out of 50 questions and 100 % on both my trap sets, funny i thought it would have been the other way around, but i'll take perfect in the field any day.
Questions based on legal traps such as what trap to use on a martin-mutiple guess on all
what type of foot hold is legal on a wolf- loop size and height of a wolf snare or coyote or fox, whcih animals are sold fur in(gives choice of four)muskrat,mink otter, fisher, which are sold fur out, which are open skinned(bear and beaver) which fur bearing animals can have mange, then some survival questions like thickness of ice and difference between blue ice and white ice, and so on
really designed to pass no trick questions, i guess you could say i am to serve an apprenticeship as it is sometimes diffuvult to get your own trapline, not up here tho, just cost me about 5,000 bucks for a trapline, but that includes all traps and trappers hut, i will help a freind out for this yr maybe next.

1stimestar
12-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Congratulations!

Rick
12-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Wow! I had no idea a trapping license was that extensive. Here in Indiana you pay $17 annually (in state) and you're a trapper. I don't know if that's good or bad but that's how it works.

rebel
12-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Congrats on passing your test.

Sourdough
12-04-2010, 05:35 PM
SD- i agree that trapping for survival is more effective than hunting-in my case, and as much as it pains me to agree, more effective than wild edibles, but all 3 skills put together, well it offers me a much better chance, and my future students as well.

I guess my point of view is 4 or maybe 4 1/2 months a year one could find wild edibles around here. But with 6' to 12' of snow for 6 to 6 1/2 months, the traps would ensure that one did not starve. I am going to buy some snares.......just for if TSHTF before I hit the grave.

Rick
12-04-2010, 06:45 PM
That's what I love about the paranoia. There's always one more thing we need. Oooh! Swedish snowshoes. I'll be back.

kyratshooter
12-04-2010, 06:46 PM
rick- i scored 90% on the written test out of 50 questions and 100 % on both my trap sets, funny i thought it would have been the other way around, but i'll take perfect in the field any day.
Questions based on legal traps such as what trap to use on a martin-mutiple guess on all
what type of foot hold is legal on a wolf- loop size and height of a wolf snare or coyote or fox, whcih animals are sold fur in(gives choice of four)muskrat,mink otter, fisher, which are sold fur out, which are open skinned(bear and beaver) which fur bearing animals can have mange, then some survival questions like thickness of ice and difference between blue ice and white ice, and so on
really designed to pass no trick questions, i guess you could say i am to serve an apprenticeship as it is sometimes diffuvult to get your own trapline, not up here tho, just cost me about 5,000 bucks for a trapline, but that includes all traps and trappers hut, i will help a freind out for this yr maybe next.

What happens when a wolf steps in your martin trap or a fisher decides to step in a wolf loop? Do the animals know the rules?

Is trapping up there like commercial fishing down here, where you purchasde rights to fish an area and no one else can come into that area?

gryffynklm
12-04-2010, 07:16 PM
WE, Congratulations.

hunter63
12-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Congrats, that's a useful skill.
Couple buddies used to do alot of trapping when tha price of hides was up.

LOL, I could use a little help on a couple of beavers that seem to becoming fond of my willow thicket

RunsWithDeer
12-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Wow! I had no idea a trapping license was that extensive. Here in Indiana you pay $17 annually (in state) and you're a trapper. I don't know if that's good or bad but that's how it works.

Same here in Michigan, all you have to do is buy a license, no exams.

klkak
12-04-2010, 11:04 PM
well, i passed today, had a writtem exam and feild test, my feild sets were one aquatic set, which i drew marten, and land set which i drew fisher.
the marten i used a 330 connibear in a channel set and the fisher i used a 220 connibear in a pole set, so now i am legal
now starts the real training i am to be a trap line helper for at least this year and maybe next year, my buddy has a couple trap lines and needs help making quota. Shoule be allot of fun getting out in the bush and perfecting my traps, but more importantly ensuring my survival ability and skills
stay tuned
WE

We use 330's for for Wolverine and Beaver, 220's and 280's for otter and 120's for martin and mink.

I'm glad I don't have to pay $5000 for a trap line.:clap:

I've been skinning and fleshing otter all day. I still have 10 to skin and 12 to flesh. We've caught 28 otter, 4 martin, 4 mink, 1 ermin, 1 wolverine and 20 beaver so far this season.

wareagle69
12-05-2010, 07:41 AM
in ontario everything is regulated with certifications, a money grab in one sence, but agree in others
with "owning" a trap line it ensures that no one else is in your area and reduces over harvesting.
Wolverine are on the protected species list up here
hey kevin do you guys have a quota on beaver? we do the trap line i am working the minimum quota is 45 must get 75% of quota.
They almost force you to trap in ontario, you must make quota evry year or lose your licence and trap line
kyrat- kev maybe be able to answer better but -if i set a snare for wolf it will have about an 16 -18 in loop about 14 in off the ground, not sure if an accidental catch of fisher could happen, as for catching a wolf in a fisher set, don't see that happening, a box set 5ft off the ground would be a bit diffucult for a wolf to get into, not saying it can't or doesn't happen just not sure the frequency, but then again i am still way new at this.
heading out this morining with my partner to set traps in the bush all day, should be fun and great learning time
thanks for all the responses freinds
WE

your_comforting_company
12-05-2010, 10:01 AM
Congrats WE. Can't wait to learn more about this area.

Ted
12-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Way to go bro!!!

Man I love trapping! Just reading this post got the old anticipation adrenaline going. You know that high you have as your appoching the next set all bigeyed wandering if you got something...LOL! Man I love that feeling!

Never done the snare thingy. Illegal here cept for beaver, and thats only been for the last 5 years or so. Cant beat those "coni's" in my opinion. You can't use anything bigger than a 220 "coni" on land.

Don't need to have to take a trapping class to get a trapping license if you were born before 1980. So I'm all good. But, going to have to take the boys in.

I happy for you WE! Have lots of fun, and be carefull out there!

rwc1969
12-05-2010, 03:53 PM
Wow, I'm surprised to hear there's an exam and that you buy trap lines, but I guess in an area whre it's done frequently it makes sense for the reasons you stated. And going that far I can see them making you get quota so you're not just sitting on a trap line.

Interesting! It would be nice to see some pics of your area and the things you do.

DOGMAN
12-05-2010, 04:26 PM
congrats! I ran a small trap line (martens) for about 5 seasons, it was alot of fun, and semi-rewarding. Its a good excuse to spend alot of time in the backcountry in the winter, I learned alot of my winter suvival skills while tending my traps....it sounds like your getting a little more intense into it though- good luck.

klkak
12-06-2010, 04:03 PM
kevin do you guys have a quota on beaver?No we don't have quota's on any thing when trapping during the regular season.

If i set a snare for wolf it will have about an 16 -18 in loop about 14 in off the ground, not sure if an accidental catch of fisher could happen?Not likely. I'd be more concerned about catching deer or moose. I rarely catch smaller animals in a wolf set.

A box set 5ft off the ground will catch ermine, mink, martin, fisher, squirrels, birds and wolverine. With the wolverine unless the trap is very well secured you will lose the trap.

Our trap line has incressed to about 200 miles long. So far we have caught 28 otter, 4 martin, 4 mink, 1 ermine and 1 wolverine (all of which are for sale!). Our season started in November.
Kevin...,

panch0
12-07-2010, 01:36 AM
Congrats WE!

Erratus Animus
12-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Great job WE! Plz just no pics of you in fur lined drawers :no: