PDA

View Full Version : Electric log splitter

hunter63
12-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Every time I go to a implement store or even Menards, I lust over the big 20+ ton splitters, then I go back to "The Place" dragt the little 4 ton electric splitter and split up what I have ready.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/DSCF0516.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/DSCF0519.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/DSCF0521.jpg

Still going strong, kinda waiting for it to die....so I can get a bigger one.

kyratshooter
12-01-2010, 10:57 PM
The only splitter I have ever had involved a maul and a blown rotator cup.

The"cheap heat" I got from years of burning wood I pay for every day in pain. I will probably pay a good bit more in dollars before the end of the deal.

I would have been better off buying the mechanical splitter.

gryffynklm
12-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks Hunter, I've been considering the same splitter in a stylish yellow. Been hesitant to purchase a splitter that wouldn't last or do the job.

hunter63
12-02-2010, 01:41 PM
Been about 5 years now, split everything at the city house, took it over to "The Place" and have been using it ever since.

Did have a small leak in one of the hydraulic line fittings, seems the line was bent too sharp.
Not much, just leaking enough to get irratating, and messy.

Got a replacement from Harbor Freight under warrenty, was a different design, bent in an "S" so as to hit the fitting at a better angle.

DR has one as well at about double the money $600 bucks, little bigger, 18" travel and 6 tons.
So far it as been a useful tool.

crashdive123
12-02-2010, 04:36 PM
I like the trailer you use for your splitter.

hunter63
12-02-2010, 06:25 PM
I like the trailer you use for your splitter.

LOL, yeah, I even had to replace the "wheels" as the kids had worn out the rubber tire down to two rubber rings.
Also helps to get it up to operating level, easier on that back, but not so high as to have a lot of problem lifting the rounds.

The wagon also served as a garden cart, with an old door on it to move flats of plants in and out of garage in the spring.

rebel
12-04-2010, 09:41 AM
I got the FIL an electric log splitter about 4-5 years ago. I think it's the same one. It's light and small enough for him to operate. A little hard on the seasoned stuff but, on freshly cut it does a decent job.

Pepper
01-13-2011, 02:20 AM
there is a 4 ton made by homelite one year warrenty (rebuilt) by the factory for 179.00 do you think it will split mesquite ? max logs 10x 20 inch logs

hunter63
01-13-2011, 12:35 PM
HF split length is 14" (pretty short) on the 4 ton units, which works on my stoves fine.
As far as mesquite goes, I have no idea how it splits.
The some elm, box elder, locust are "snarly", meaning they don't split clean, lots of connecting strands, so some time they kinda get "Butterfly-ied" open.
Of course it doesn't matter how many "tons" you have, it still acts the same.

Cold weather helps, as it does when using a maul or wedge....So if it splits well with these, it will split with a small electric splitter.
As far a diameter goes, I can split a any round I can lift, just need to take a bite off the edge and work in.

Several other models out there, DR being one, that are rated at 6 ton or 8 ton w/ 16 " throw (still pretty short).
They are double the money $500 bucks and up.
As far as the Homelite unit, look and see if the pump/ram is one casting (DR) or two, w/copper tubing connecting them (HF)

I'm thinking that there ain't many makers, just different names?

If I was going to up grade, it would be a gas powered model....and I would have a place to store it.

crashdive123
01-13-2011, 12:47 PM
When I lived in the Seattle area one of my wood cutting friends had a splitting screw he mounted to his rear wheel. On his, we took the rear wheel off and replaced it with a wheel with the screw welded onto it. It made for a little excitement when the truck came off the jack.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuHV0BlvjMc

nell67
01-13-2011, 12:49 PM
HF split length is 14" (pretty short) on the 4 ton units, which works on my stoves fine.
As far as mesquite goes, I have no idea how it splits.
The some elm, box elder, locust are "snarly", meaning they don't split clean, lots of connecting strands, so some time they kinda get "Butterfly-ied" open.
Of course it doesn't matter how many "tons" you have, it still acts the same.

Cold weather helps, as it does when using a maul or wedge....So if it splits well with these, it will split with a small electric splitter.
As far a diameter goes, I can split a any round I can lift, just need to take a bite off the edge and work in.

Several other models out there, DR being one, that are rated at 6 ton or 8 ton w/ 16 " throw (still pretty short).
They are double the money $500 bucks and up.
As far as the Homelite unit, look and see if the pump/ram is one casting (DR) or two, w/copper tubing connecting them (HF)

I'm thinking that there ain't many makers, just different names?

If I was going to up grade, it would be a gas powered model....and I would have a place to store it.
Yup,I have a 22 ton gas powered,and it too butterflies the knotty rounds,I do like that you can set it up verticle to do the big rounds,without having to lift those biggin's up.

Rick
01-13-2011, 12:50 PM
OMG!!!! That thing is like the chariot of death. Works pretty good, though.

nell67
01-13-2011, 12:54 PM
Crash,no dang way I would use that thing!!! I agree with Rick though.:scared:

crashdive123
01-13-2011, 04:42 PM
We didn't have the metal ramp to stop the wood from spinning, so we had to make sure we didn't jack the truck up too much and that the ground was firm enough to keep the log from becoming a mud slinging device.

2dumb2kwit
01-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Electric log splitter

Why would you want to split electric logs???

Next thing you know, you'll be wanting to split gas logs! LOL:2:

2dumb2kwit
01-13-2011, 06:09 PM
Yup,I have a 22 ton gas powered,and it too butterflies the knotty rounds,I do like that you can set it up verticle to do the big rounds,without having to lift those biggin's up.

Sooooo.....you have biggins???:blush:

crashdive123
01-13-2011, 06:37 PM
2D - you do realize that she can hurt you don't you?

hunter63
01-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Why would you want to split electric logs???

Next thing you know, you'll be wanting to split gas logs! LOL:2:

LOL, took ya a while, I was expecting that right off........................

nell67
01-13-2011, 11:06 PM
Sooooo.....you have biggins???:blush: You just don't kwit,do you.....:flare::hang::censored::6::eyepoke::whip:

crashdive123
01-13-2011, 11:14 PM
I guess he's 2Dumb.