PDA

View Full Version : Kilts

Smok
01-07-2008, 01:33 AM
www.Utilikilts.com/index.php?page_id=31 (http://www.Utilikilts.com/index.php?page_id=31) and you will love their Mock_U_Mercials :rolleyes: :D

Ole WV Coot
01-07-2008, 11:05 AM
:D:D I don't guess anyone remembers the old movie "DELIVERANCE" ?? Wear one of those things in the woods and you will get more than kidded. The sound of banjos best make you run far & fast.:eek::eek:

Beo
01-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Get a real kilt if your gonna wear one, traditional is always best IMHO, except nothing but the best and stay original. From time to time I wear my kilt on treks and it is great, just about everyone knows they are a heritage thing and respect those wearing them, alot of early settlers in the south (Virginia and Tennessee) were scots and irish, some of the most famous explorers were scots and the white man who led the trail of tears was a scot John Ross and he was the chief of a Cherokee Native American Tribe, he wore a kilt also. So yes kilts are known and okay in the wilderness.

granite
01-07-2008, 11:15 AM
I've hiked with guys in skirts, some like them a great deal. But to take this thread seriously, and as someone that has worn more than a few skirts herself here is what I have to offer on the subject. Items in pants pockets seem to fit better than items in skirt pockets. If you have large thighs (which I don't) and wear a kilt/skirt you might want to be aware that your thighs may rub together when you walk, skin on skin can be very painful and might cause a rash.

Many outfitters are now carrying hiking kilts for men if you are interested. I'd go with a light-weight quick-dry fiber.

Beo
01-07-2008, 11:39 AM
A kilt is not a skirt, lets get that point settled first, my ancestors wore one a long time ago and it is not a skirt as evidenced by the fact a woman buys a kilt skirt, and traditional kilts don't have pockets, you keep items in a pouch called a sporran, and you'd probably have a pack, backpack, or haversack with you. I have been wearing my kilt for more than 10 years and never experienced any thigh rubbing and I'm 6'4" tall and weigh 235 lbs.

granite
01-07-2008, 11:56 AM
As far as I am concerned, a kilt is a man skirt.

Beo
01-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Well thanks for summing up years of my heritage in one misinformed sentence, thanks. In your frame of thought women wearing pants are wearing mens clothing, hmmm... whatever.

Ole WV Coot
01-07-2008, 03:39 PM
I am Scotch-Irish myself on one side and Swedish on the other and pure Appalachian-American or Redneck, whatever you prefer to call me when all the others are added. I am PROUD of my heritage also but running thru the brairs & bushes in a kneehigh skirt just ain't very clever without hip boots. Just my opinion and I am sticking to it !!

Rick
01-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Sorry, Beo but I don't think you're going to make any headway here. I respect the tradition but skirt, dress or kilt, I ain't puttin' one on. The first time I sat on a splinter I'd probably burn the darn thing.

Coot - I'll bet the rednecks, and bluenecks for that matter, would be eyein' you something fierce if you walked into the saloon wearing one. You'd have to drag out your old pike pole to keep at 'em at bay.

Beo
01-07-2008, 04:01 PM
When trekking and wearing my kilt I have on leggings either wool or deer skin, and have been in many pubs, bars, and taverns, in the north and south and have never had a problem with anyone, and I played my bagpipes for the 101st Airborne in my kilt for the funeral of a friend on post, and most women like them on a man. Its not about skirts, its about pride in heritage. As for what is worn underneath... ladies only to find out.
And Rick... I thought you of all people around here would back me on this, where is my boy Trax when I need him :(

trax
01-07-2008, 04:34 PM
Och, Beo, laddie! Ignore 'em!, me sainted Grannie woulda said "they're wee men laddie, ya dinna wanna hae no ken of 'em" if they're naay Scootish they're crrrrraaapp!! As they say back in the Highlands...England forever! Scotland just a wee bit longer!

Beo
01-07-2008, 04:37 PM
Yeah, thanks bro :D

nell67
01-07-2008, 04:38 PM
gift wrapped,eh???:p

trax
01-07-2008, 04:45 PM
gift wrapped,eh???:p

Yes ma'am. :D

corndog-44
01-07-2008, 04:50 PM
The higher you climb the flag pole, the more butt you show...dally around that :eek::D.

trax
01-07-2008, 04:52 PM
Well now.....if for whatever reason I'm climbing a flagpole:confused: anyone wants to stare up at my butt is welcome to. He## they can take pictures if they want.

nell67
01-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Wait..gotta get my camera:p

Rick
01-07-2008, 05:08 PM
You don't even have to climb a flagpole!!!!! Oh, my!!!!!!!! :eek: Had to grab my shades it was hurtin' my eyes. :cool:

corndog-44
01-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Dang Rick! Did you have to up and visualize this thread :eek:.

Rick
01-07-2008, 05:23 PM
There you go corndog. Just for you, buddy.....

corndog-44
01-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Rick you didn't have to remove the photo on my account. I think you just had second thoughts about it :D.

Ole WV Coot
01-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Does one bend over or squat to tie their shoes???:D:eek: To keep informed ,curious people would like to know.;)

FVR
01-07-2008, 07:45 PM
A kilt, LOL. I just barely get out of my house wearing a breech clout and a possibles bag. "Dear, nice diaper and purse, where ya going."

Can't imagine walking out in a kilt, prob. very comfy, warm if it's wool.

Naaa.

canid
01-07-2008, 08:30 PM
word. i am not personaly inclined to wear a kilt into the brush but a good wool kilt is warm and comfortable.

as a McCulloch, i will walk wherever i please in one and i'm not too worried about those who misread it.

carcajou garou
01-07-2008, 09:03 PM
A good highland kilt made of wool, is a good item if your inclined, Scots used them for generations upon generation with great success.

FVR
01-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Well, taking into consideration how much wool is used on a "real" kilt, and the proper way to wear it. Just take it off and build a tent.

If I was to adorn myself in a tartan, it would be of the Campbell Clan. When my GGGrandad McDermitt married a McKimm woman, well, pissed both sides of the family off.

canid
01-07-2008, 10:06 PM
yeah, a great-kilt is a substantial amount of wool :D

there are at least anecdotal reports of these being used to enshroud and dismount mounted calvary.

Smok
01-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Did any of you go and look it that site ??

Smok
01-07-2008, 10:53 PM
The Kilt is getting real popular around here on the West coast this is not a joke . Real working men's cloths but if you would like some fun go to the site and look up the Mock_U_Mercials now that is funny

canid
01-07-2008, 11:00 PM
it certainly looks nifty, but i take it as a novelty myself, rather than what i would call working gear.

if you or anybody else here happensto buy one, let me know how it holds up.

Smok
01-07-2008, 11:08 PM
They hold up great it made out of 15 0z. canvas duck or leather or go read some of it

Beo
01-08-2008, 12:11 PM
A traditional wool kilt like the one I have had for ten years or more is a full 8 yards of 16oz. twill woven worsted wool and yes it is very warm in the winter and cool in the summer. The plaid is the piece that goes over the shoulder and is not worn today except by drum majors in major pipe bands, the smaller one is called a fly plaid and it pins to the shoulder of the piper or drummer. The kilt has changed since the times of Braveheart (since thats how most of you seem to know it) in that the plaid was seperated from the waist. Actually an englishman named Thomas Rawlinson had his kilt and plaid seperated as he noticed that during rain and winter seasons it got heavy, taking it to a tailor he had the plaid removed and the traditional kilt moved on to what you see now. Rawlinson was doing iron smelting in Glengary at this point in his life (the 1800s).
I have worn my kilt in the woods numerous times on treks and it works as good as any pair of pants, leggings, breechclouts, etc. But if you don't worry what people think and live your life for you then who really cares. It is a part of my heritage so I wear mine and always will, to irish/scottish weekend events, on historical treks, family treks, hunting and so on. If it ain't for you then wear what you want. And for the record the kilt was never used to enshroud a rider or enemy (english) soldier, I have a complete history on the works of the kilt including the military regiments, friends that are noted scholors on scottish history and have talked at several scotch/irish dinners and festivals on the history of the The Breacan an Fhéilidh or Féileadh Mòr what you call the Great Kilt. The history of the kilt stretches back to at least the end of the 16th century. Although the kilt is an item of traditional Scottish highland dress, the nationalism of that tradition is relatively recent. It was only with the Romantic Revival of the 19th century that the kilt became irreversibly associated with Highlanders, and was subsequently adopted by Lowlanders and the Scottish Diaspora. Other modern celts such as the Irish, Cornish, Welsh and Manx, have also adopted tartan kilts in recent times, although to a lesser degree. Similar clothing had long been abandoned by related cultures such as Gauls, and Scandinavians.
The word kilt comes from the Scots word kilt meaning to tuck up the clothes around the body. The Scots word derives from the Old Norse kilting, from Norse settlers who wore a similar, non-tartan pleated garment. Nuff said.
Know what your talking about before you speak.
Beo,

Tony uk
01-08-2008, 12:16 PM
I have a kilt but only wear it for special occasions like weddings, i have to wear it in August for my cousins wedding, However the wedding is in ENGLAND!!!!!! Land of the chavs !!!

I will get looked at funny :(

Beo
01-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Hey Tony, Screw'em they're jealous bro,

canid
01-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Nuff said.
Know what your talking about before you speak.

dude, wtf are you talking about?

Tony uk
01-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Hey Tony, Screw'em they're jealous bro,

Yep, they little scruny chav creatures, And in the backround a large scotsman with a full attractive musculer fisique :D

Smok
01-08-2008, 11:22 PM
Beowulf65.. What are you talking about ?? I am and was talking about the new Utilikilts and what they are made out of (not the old kilt) . Did you even go and look at what I put up here ?? And in no way was I making fun of kilts , Hay I ware a Utilikilt and the Utilikilt is for working men..

Smok
01-08-2008, 11:46 PM
Yep, they little scruny chav creatures, And in the backround a large scotsman with a full attractive musculer fisique :D
I would like to thank you for your complement I would have thought you would call me fat at my 245 lb. and only 5'10" I fill better about the pack :D:cool: I am Welsh and Native or as some would call me an apple ,you know white on the inside red on the out :D

Alpine_Sapper
01-28-2008, 12:02 AM
Just to chime in on this, got a friend at work that wears one of these all the time. He showed me the site some time ago. Best man skirt I ever had.

And Beo, lighten up dude. If you read the site, they straight tell you it's not a traditional kilt. Go read the faq on there, so you can know what you're talking about. And as for wearing one in the bush, a lot of people wear them on trail hikes and backpacking excursions to avoid chaffing.

yeah, it's a man skirt. And if you buy one, and some idiot yells out "nice skirt", take it as a compliment. At $150 bucks for the cheapest one, it better be a nice skirt. :cool:

Tony uk
01-28-2008, 07:22 PM
Remember everyone who is thinking of getting one (Yes everyone) if you wear underwear its a skirt, its only a kilt if you go Regimental

Rick
01-28-2008, 07:26 PM
that is just plain wrong. plane wrong and palain wrong. don't be knockin' on my door wearin' a skirt and no underwear I don't care what sex you are. If you are a dude it will get you killed. If you are a girl it will get me killed.

Smok
01-29-2008, 01:11 AM
It's Saturday night and a fine Scotsman friend of mine got all dressed up... Kilt and all .. He went out to party , all night and on he's way home he went to sleep in a ditch. Well , now it's Sunday mourning and a young lass is on her way to Church . She see the Scotsman laying in the ditch and thinks , I have never seen what is under a man's kilt before , so she pulls up the kilt and there he is in all he's ..MANLY GLORY ,.. OOO MY ...:eek:...SOOO.. she pulls a blue ribbon from her hair and tie it around him ...and off to Church she goes .... A little latter the ..Scotsman gets up and ..filling the call of nature like any man would , he pulls back he's kilt and looks drown , and says ..I don't know were you've been , I don't know what you've been doing ..... But I am glad you came in first place. :eek: :D..... Please do not be upset Tony ,as this is the only clean joke I know

Tony uk
01-29-2008, 06:23 PM
It's Saturday night and a fine Scotsman friend of mine got all dressed up... Kilt and all .. He went out to party , all night and on he's way home he went to sleep in a ditch. Well , now it's Sunday mourning and a young lass is on her way to Church . She see the Scotsman laying in the ditch and thinks , I have never seen what is under a man's kilt before , so she pulls up the kilt and there he is in all he's ..MANLY GLORY ,.. OOO MY ...:eek:...SOOO.. she pulls a blue ribbon from her hair and tie it around him ...and off to Church she goes .... A little latter the ..Scotsman gets up and ..filling the call of nature like any man would , he pulls back he's kilt and looks drown , and says ..I don't know were you've been , I don't know what you've been doing ..... But I am glad you came in first place. :eek: :D..... Please do not be upset Tony ,as this is the only clean joke I know

So thats where that ribbon came from, Interesting.........

Catfish
01-30-2008, 10:49 PM
<Raises hand> Fellow kilt wearer here - I'm with you Beo, thon utilikilt things are an abomination, so they are.

Mine however, tecknically belongs to the Pipe Band for whom I drum, and I suspect the Pipe Major would have a hairy fit if he found out I'd been out in the woods in it. I got into enough trouble when I spilled Guinness on it last St. Patrick's Day. :D

(And yes, I'm a Scot and no, I don't wear grundies under me kilt)

Catfish
01-30-2008, 10:53 PM

'fraid I don't know who wrote it but...

Well a Scotsman clad in kilt left a bar on evening fair
And one could tell by how we walked that he drunk more than his share
He fumbled round until he could no longer keep his feet
Then he stumbled off into the grass to sleep beside the street
Ring ding diddle diddle I de oh ring di diddly I oh
He stumbled off into the grass to sleep beside the street

About that time two young and lovely girls just happend by
And one says to the other with a twinkle in her eye
See yon sleeping Scotsman so strong and handsome built
I wonder if it's true what they don't wear beneath the kilt
I wonder if it's true what they don't wear beneath the kilt

They crept up on that sleeping Scotsman quiet as could be
Lifted up his kilt about an inch so they could see
And there behold, for them to see, beneath his Scottish skirt
Was nothing more than God had graced him with upon his birth
Was nothing more than God had graced him with upon his birth

They marveled for a moment, then one said we must be gone
Let's leave a present for our friend, before we move along
As a gift they left a blue silk ribbon, tied into a bow
Around the bonnie star, the Scots kilt did lift and show
Around the bonnie star, the Scots kilt did lift and show

Now the Scotsman woke to nature's call and stumbled towards a tree
Behind a bush, he lift his kilt and gawks at what he sees
And in a startled voice he says to what's before his eyes.
O lad I don't know where you been but I see you won first prize
O lad I don't know where you been but I see you won first prize

tracks
01-30-2008, 11:20 PM
whhhhheeeeewwwwww.

Smok
01-31-2008, 12:16 AM
Catfish ...mush better then me Ring ding :D

Kemperor
01-31-2008, 02:09 AM
There's nothing wrong with kilt wearing. Shoot, most traditional kilts I've seen are way too expensive for my budget. I'd still like one, even though I don't believe I have any Scottish in me, for its utilitarian purposes. If it keeps you warm in the winter while you're not wearing underwear, then hey, I'm game. Nothing wrong with hanging free and staying warm at the same time.

furthermore, I don't blame Beo for getting defensive, if it were something related to German, Dutch, or Native American tradition, I'd get a little defensive too.

Beo
01-31-2008, 09:47 AM
Canid I was talking about this statement: there are at least anecdotal reports of these being used to enshroud and dismount mounted calvary. I need a reference for this as I have well over sixty books on the Scottish Regiments and the Highland people and there is not one reference to that ever happening. And I meant no offense to what you said it came out all wrong sorry bro.

Catfish I'm with ya bro, the utility kilt is a frig'n joke and a mockery of the Scottish & Irish Kilt. I am a piper for the Hamilton County Sheriff's Office Pipes & Drums (play bass and snare when needed) and have a Hmilton kilt, also have my family kilt (Irish) and were it sometimes when trekking. You gotta remember I do Historical Trekking though.

Smok I know you meant no offense to the traditional kilt and didn't take it ike that. Sorry if I made you feel that way.

And thanks Kemperor.

Long live the KILT!

dilligaf2u2
01-31-2008, 07:28 PM
I wonder if they make them in shocking pink?

I see where a kilt would make a man feel very manly. I mean you either have to be a real man to wear one or carry a matching purse.

I considered wearing one once. The idea of falling down and showing changed my mind. I do not think the pointing and laughing from strangers would be a good thing!

Don

canid
01-31-2008, 08:19 PM
i can't find a reference to it's use in print myself, but have heard it before at SCA/ren-faire events which is why i said anecdotal. i'm still going to look for a reference, since if i had a 4-5 yard length of fabric in a battle against calvary, i'd use it that way :D

Smok
02-01-2008, 12:37 AM
:cool: Boe ...All is good :o

narcolepticpug
02-07-2008, 04:35 PM
When trekking and wearing my kilt I have on leggings either wool or deer skin, and have been in many pubs, bars, and taverns, in the north and south and have never had a problem with anyone, and I played my bagpipes for the 101st Airborne in my kilt for the funeral of a friend on post, and most women like them on a man. Its not about skirts, its about pride in heritage. As for what is worn underneath... ladies only to find out.
And Rick... I thought you of all people around here would back me on this, where is my boy Trax when I need him :(

Rock the kilt man... who cares what these people say.... i dont have one... but ill tell you this, if i did, hell i would were it all the time and i would go commando...
isnt the 101st "air assault" now, not airborne?

i have tried the bagpipes once, holy crap. boy is it hard..... i couldnt keep it going for more than 30 seconds. and after 5 minutes of trying to get the feel for it i was so dizzy and light headed... props to you.

PS. Scottish pride

Rick
02-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Listen, Narco - You aren't supposed to be gluing wood back on the tree while we're chopping. Okay? We're trying to shame him for cryin' out loud.

Beo
02-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Thanks Narco, and I agree. Tough luck Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiick :D