PDA

View Full Version : Staying Warm In Freezing Water?

cwc1885
11-28-2010, 02:00 AM
I was hunting and we got a couple of ducks that landed on a frozen river.
The ice was about and inch thick although there was a hole in the ice about 3 meters by 4 meters. My dog went to the open stop and got stuck.
so my Son and I argued on who would get her. I got to go.

I left my clothes on. Broke through the ice. got the dog. Hoofed it back to the car. About 2 miles.

My question? Should I have left my clothes on to stay warm or taken them off? Knowing I was probably going to break the ice.

It was 15 degrees. I had 2 mile to walk back to the car. I had on Under-armor, tops and bottoms. Pants and a sweatshirt. On my way back to the car the only thing that really got cold was my hands.

LOOKING BACK. I thing I should have stripped to 1 layer, taken off my boots. got the dog, strip off my wet clothes, and pout on dry.

Rick
11-28-2010, 08:26 AM
"Looking back" would have been the better option in my book. But then, I carry dry gear with me. Just curious what would you have done if you had started to experience the effects of hypothermia at mile 1?

Chemical warmers, dry bags, spare clothes, all talk to me in this thread. Two years ago my son and his better half were crossing frozen water when she broke through. A fire and a change of clothes turned a really bad situation into one of inconvenience.

Glad everything worked out for you.

While your at it, why not stop by the Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself?

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7813

cwc1885
11-28-2010, 10:11 AM
"Looking back" would have been the better option in my book. But then, I carry dry gear with me. Just curious what would you have done if you had started to experience the effects of hypothermia at mile 1?

Chemical warmers, dry bags, spare clothes, all talk to me in this thread. Two years ago my son and his better half were crossing frozen water when she broke through. A fire and a change of clothes turned a really bad situation into one of inconvenience.

Glad everything worked out for you.

While your at it, why not stop by the Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself?

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14213

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7813

thank you so much for the response. would you have removed a layer? or kept you clothes on?

randyt
11-28-2010, 10:41 AM
I probably would have started a fire, stripped a layer and retrieved the dog. came back and dried out then hoofed it out.

Alaskan Survivalist
11-28-2010, 10:44 AM
I would have had a Cheasapeake.

Rick
11-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Same as RandyT.

Artzi
11-28-2010, 11:36 AM
thank you so much for the response. would you have removed a layer? or kept you clothes on?

No need to be shy mate! 'Full monty' gets my vote! :D

Well I would have left still socks on cause ice and hard snow is very sharp and can cause some nasty scratches (when doing weird stuff in snow & ice & cold water naked ... tested). So in my gameplan:

Me in dry clothes > Me naked > Me in wet clothes.

Winter swimming is actually very refreshing experience and quite popular in Scandinavia, Baltic countries and Russia.

:yes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XscsuZlLGyQ&feature=related

Rick
11-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Winter swimming, huh? No offense, Artzi, but that might be why folks migrate FROM there and not TO there. Just sayin'.

FVR
11-28-2010, 01:44 PM
Get Naked! Get In! Get Out! Get Dry! Get Warm!

Brianster
11-29-2010, 04:09 AM
Your dog should have been clammering in the breach to get above the water, you could have intially thrown down your coat just into it, on it's edge holding the edge of it and not letting it get drenched in the water, then let the pooch climb onto it since it would provide a tighter grip to it's paws trying to get out, and you would have walked home dry and warm, along with your son.....and carrying the wet companion of yours home with you..... You decided to bicker with your son while it struggled for it's dear life, asking him to do the same because you didn't know what to do... Think about it man.

That two mile walk back to the car was a walk of shame when it comes down to it, but you didn't learn from that, be grateful you didn't freeze off an extremity.

cwc1885
11-30-2010, 08:19 AM
Your dog should have been clammering in the breach to get above the water, you could have intially thrown down your coat just into it, on it's edge holding the edge of it and not letting it get drenched in the water, then let the pooch climb onto it since it would provide a tighter grip to it's paws trying to get out, and you would have walked home dry and warm, along with your son.....and carrying the wet companion of yours home with you..... You decided to bicker with your son while it struggled for it's dear life, asking him to do the same because you didn't know what to do... Think about it man.

That two mile walk back to the car was a walk of shame when it comes down to it, but you didn't learn from that, be grateful you didn't freeze off an extremity.

thanks for all the responses. as my son told me. we learned a lesson!

lucznik
11-30-2010, 01:04 PM
In the situation you had; you probably should have stripped down, at least to your underwear, so that you would have something dry to put on afterward. In the meantime, your son should have been building a fire.

However, I have some additional thoughts/questions about your scenario:

1. In the future you should maybe think about wearing a set of waders. When duck hunting I enter into the water of partially-frozen-over rivers quite frequently, sometimes with ambient temperatures exceeding -20* and windchill factors making things feel significantly lower. A nice pair of neoprene waders ensures I remain dry, warm, and safe. Even a set of non-neoprene/canvas fishing waders (which would be easier to pack with you in a daypack) would have kept you significantly safer.

Now, for the rest, you didn't mention your age nor the age of your son so; apply whichever is correct for your situation:

2. (Assuming you are the adult and your son is a minor child) Why would you argue over who goes after the dog; especially into a dangerous (frozen) river? As the adult, that's all you buddy. Put on the grown-up daddy pants and man up!

3. (Assuming your son is of age making both of you "adults" with you being say, less than 50 years old.) Why would you argue over who goes after the dog? Whoever actually owns the dog is responsible for the dog. Whoever that is, put on the grown-up responsible-animal-owner pants and man up!

4. Assuming again that your son is an adult and that you are at or above 50 yrs old.) Why would you argue over who goes after the dog; especially into a dangerous (frozen) river? Your "adult" son should have greater respect for his elders. Yeah, you may be capable but, he is younger, fitter, and more able to recover from such things. I would never even think about second-guessing my dad when he asked me to do a similar kind of chore. Get that boy off the video games and MTV and learn him to put on his grown-up pants and man up!

lucznik
11-30-2010, 01:12 PM
Winter swimming is actually very refreshing experience and quite popular in Scandinavia, Baltic countries and Russia.

:yes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XscsuZlLGyQ&feature=related

Brrr!! Can you say "shrinkage?!?" :crying:

klkak
11-30-2010, 01:25 PM
Keep your clothes on! You have to have something to protect you from the water!

Sourdough
11-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Keep your clothes on! You have to have something to protect you from the water!

Welcome Back........

klkak
11-30-2010, 01:51 PM
Thanks Dave.

Rick
11-30-2010, 02:01 PM
Dang! It's about time you wandered in. How's life?

Sarge47
11-30-2010, 06:25 PM
Get out, get naked, do push-ups in the snow, have somebody film it, send footage to the Discovery channel, get your own Survival series! :shifty:

Oh, And welcome back Kev. Now if we can get Ken & Gray Wolf back on here we can have a freakin' party! :banana:

BENESSE
11-30-2010, 07:40 PM
So what's the final verdict, y'all?
If there's no change of clothes...do you keep your clothes on, or off before going in?

Rick
11-30-2010, 07:56 PM
I think Lucznik offered up the best solution. Use your coat so the dog can get a grip and pull itself out. I think if you're hunting waterfowl then this situation should be planned for.

lucznik
11-30-2010, 08:13 PM
I think Lucznik offered up the best solution. Use your coat so the dog can get a grip and pull itself out.
This part was actually Brianster's suggestion.

I think if you're hunting waterfowl then this situation should be planned for. This is, to me, the crux of the solution. You hunt WATER-foul around WATER. You should, therefore, be prepared to deal with situations involving that WATER.

Oh, and nice to "see" you back Klkak.

hunter63
11-30-2010, 08:31 PM
Scenario, killed a deer on the other side of a small stream, still wide enough to get wet wading, 40's, wet mushy snow.
With young son, maybe 10.

Stripped down lower half, except one pair socks, kept coat on upper half.
Went to get deer, son laughed like crazy, got deer, got back, dried off and re-dressed.
Was very cold.

Following year, same area w/son, saw deer across river again.........young son, says, "We're not gonna shoot that one, this time, right?

Dog/Son in trouble?, I going in after him, no doubt.........I do carry a dry bag/fire stuff.

Welcome back Kevin