PDA

View Full Version : Still working on getting my trail pack right.

10mm_Bob
11-27-2010, 11:11 PM
I think I'm finally getting my field pack "dialed in". I may make a few more changes as I'm trying to go as light as possible without sacrificing needed function. It's really been trial and error all summer.

Keep in mind I'm in SW Florida, where the coldest nightime temps rarely get into the 40's. We do, however, have bug problems to deal with all year long. That, and the usual challenges of swamp climates. Always plenty of food and water available in the field, though.

Here's the "preparedness" portion of my field pack. Keep in mind that I have to leave room for quite a bit of camera gear:

Pack - Maxpedition Condor II

Shelter - Go-Lite Poncho/tarp, and 2 large trash bags. Adventure Medical Bivy sack.

Insect protection - Serenity NetTent (for sleep protection), NoSeeUm head net and thin gloves for moving. I also carry some Deet in a small spray bottle, but seldom need it.

paracord - 30'

Fire - Matches (in waterproof container), windproof lighter, and FireSteel. I also carry a small tea candle, and an old film container stuffed with dryer lint.

knife - Falkniven F1 in Kydex sheath. Leatherman Skeletor CX multitool with an assortment of screwdriver bits needed for camera gear repair.

Signaling - Small (2x3) Starfish mirror, JetScream whistle, Mobile phone (coverage in FL is pretty good).

Flashlight - I carry a Streamlight Stylus Pro LED (aaa batteries) + plus 4 extra batteries in waterproof film container.

Navigation - Hand held GPS, Silva Trekker 420 compass.

Water - Nalgene GI style canteen in Maxpedition pouch with steel GI metal cup for cooking/boiling (I'd love to find a GI cup in titanium!). Katadyn Mini Ultralight filter, Aquamira Frontier Emergency Water Filter, Polarpur tablets.

First Aid - I built a small, lightweight kit myself after seeing the rediculous prices for pre-assembled ones! Basically I have a few Ibuprophen and Banadryl tablets, small tube of first aid cream, a few alcohol wipes, a few betadyn wipes, a few gauze packets, and some assorted band-aids. All in a small waterproof pouch. I also carry a leatherman micra in the first aid kit (scalpal, scissors, tweezers). I have a large first aid kit in the vehicle with all the trimmings, so this is just what I carry on the hikes.

Hunting - Ruger 22/45 stainless pistol (stowed in pack). 30 rds of CCI Stinger ammo in a waterproof container.

Protection - Smith and Wesson 327PD (8 rd .357 mag revolver). I only carry the 8 rds in the cylinder. I carry this in cross-draw attached to the MOLLE webbing on the pack.

Food - I usually just have a couple survival cookies in the pack. I've never had to eat one. I've always been able to shoot something anytime I've needed to. The survival cookies are really just there in case I'm hurt and can't hunt.

Miscellaneous - Small roll (12') duct tape, small sewing kit (thread, 2 needles, 3 buttons of various size), some monofilament line, 3 sinkers, 3 fish hooks. Small notepad and pencil. Some toilet paper.

The nice thing about all this is that is still leaves plenty of room in the pack for camera gear. Without the camera gear, this is a VERY light pack. The guns add a bit of weight too, but are well worth their weight to carry. The Maxpedition pack itself is actually pretty heavy. I may go to an ultralight pack sometime soon. The camera gear, of course, screws up everything. On an average day I'm humping around 40 pounds....but 25 of it is camera gear! You can see why I keep trying to shave weight!

Any suggestions/input welcome.

SARKY
11-28-2010, 12:49 AM
I would add a fishing kit, snare wire and 2-3 extra loads for the 327. Maybe one in 32 HR mag and one in 32 S&W

Rick
11-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Two things I'd want to add. Some form of hemostatic agent such as Quikclot or Celox. I'd also talk to your doctor about a pain killer like Vicodin. It will take the edge off the pain but leave you capable of working through whatever problem you're dealing with. You break an arm or leg at dusk and it might be the next morning before they are even able to dispatch SAR to find you. Or if your cell phone conks out (gets wet?) things could get ugly pretty quick. No need to deal with a bad situation and extreme pain.

Both of those will add negligible weight but be danged handy if bad stuff happens.

Rick
11-28-2010, 11:03 AM
Dump the first aid kit?!.........That's like dumping your fire starter, your way to make fresh water!!!! Oh, the humanity!!!!!!!!!!

Rick
11-28-2010, 11:13 AM
Not if that cell phone lands in the drink and is no longer working as I outlined in my rather excellent scenario above. There he is with the perfect shot lined up in the view finder when WHAM!! Out of the brush he's ambushed by a rabid otter. Hey, it's happened. ( see http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14212 ) He goes backwards, the cell phone lands in the water and the otter punctures the jugular (they like to go for the throat, you know). What's this? No first aid kit? Dead meat. Gator bacon.

Or.......He grabs his first aid kit, slaps on some Quikclot, downs a Vicodin and manages to stumble his way to an emergency room.

Your choice.

First gator: "Oh, look. A$$"
Second gator: "Huh?"
First gator: "Alaskan Survivalist Stiff."
Second gator: "snicker, snort, chortle"

rwc1969
11-28-2010, 11:27 AM
I would say lose one gun.

10mm_Bob
11-28-2010, 11:49 AM
The first aid kit gets used all the time. minor cuts and splinters are a normal occurrence here. Lots of thorns, stickers, etc......not to mention my personal favorite...Fire Ants!

You definitely don't want to leave even minor cuts go untreated here. Best to clean and dress them right away, else you'll be regretting it later. No need to stop the day of shooting though just for a scratch.

If something major happens (like a broken bone), I'd use the duct tape and a couple branches to try and splint it and hobble out. My monopod makes an excellent walking cane when needed (yes, I've had bad sprains before where I had to get out on my own). My vehicle is very well equipped (well supplied first aid kit), so if I can just make it back to the truck I'd probably be fine.

Throwing in a clotting agent seems like a reasonable idea. I'd probably pass on the pain killers. I have high tolerence, and actually like the pain to remind me that I'm hurt. Ibuprophen is usually enough to take the edge off and make me functional.

The two guns are kind of a necessity. One is food, and the other protection. Neither can to the other's job very well. When you consider than an MRE weighs about what the .22 does, then it makes carrying the pair seem quite reasonable. The .22 probably won't remove a gator that has clamped onto your arm, so the .357 is a better protection choice for the more likely situation. Heck, I had a 7 footer pop up a few feet from me yesterday (pics up on my facebook site at www.facebook.com/robert.blanchard.photography). It's just a reality of living here.

Batch
11-28-2010, 01:20 PM
He has a cell phone and good reception, he can call an ambulance.

Well, in parts of South Florida it can take a minimum of a 1/2 hour for first responders to get to you on a major highway. In the wilderness around that same area you need special vehicles to travel and it can take hours to get those into the area and into play.

http://www.winknews.com/Local-Florida/2010-11-23/Could-Alligator-Alley-get-its-own-fire-and-EMS-station

Alligator Alley is now a major highway. It's part of I-75 now.

This guy had a cell phone, was warned not to leave camp and lost all of his gear. He went less than 100 yards from the road before he realized he was lost and spent the next 4 days wandering around in his underwear. LOL

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2009/11/missing-hunter-found-alive-big-cypress-national-preserve4972

I think a triangular bandage and some quickclot are worth their weight. Also, a waterproof cellphone bag.

Rapid rabid otters attacking folks is a whole other problem... and bobcats...and foxes... :sneaky2:

10mm_Bob
11-30-2010, 12:12 PM
In the interest of eliminating one gun, I'm considering keeping the .357 mag and using snake shot to hunt small game. Anyone ever try this? Will a snake shot round hold together well enough for shots out to say 10 yards? the .357 has a 4 inch barrel.

If it would work, I could simply load up 6 defensive rounds, and two snakeshot rounds in that 8 shot .357. If I happen upon lunch, I could just flip open the cylinder, and rotate to the two snakeshot rounds for the hunt.

Old GI
11-30-2010, 12:34 PM
"... a triangular bandage... ."

One each, OG in color? Also called a "Do-Rag" (Drive On Rag) in my misspent youth?:offtopic:

Sourdough
11-30-2010, 12:50 PM
In the interest of eliminating one gun, I'm considering keeping the .357 mag and using snake shot to hunt small game. Anyone ever try this? Will a snake shot round hold together well enough for shots out to say 10 yards? the .357 has a 4 inch barrel.

If it would work, I could simply load up 6 defensive rounds, and two snakeshot rounds in that 8 shot .357. If I happen upon lunch, I could just flip open the cylinder, and rotate to the two snakeshot rounds for the hunt.

About half that distance........."BUT".....Most importantly do not have the shot loads in the revolver, store them elsewhere and only but one at a time into the revolver. I would just buy a ten pack of CCI loaded shotshells.

The rifling makes the pattern enlarge quickly. Also the shot capsules will jump the crimp (They are not really crimped) and jam the cylinder. So to be clear, do not fire a .357 Mag. bullet if there is a shot capsule in one cylinder.

10mm_Bob
11-30-2010, 02:29 PM
About half that distance........."BUT".....Most importantly do not have the shot loads in the revolver, store them elsewhere and only but one at a time into the revolver. I would just buy a ten pack of CCI loaded shotshells.

The rifling makes the pattern enlarge quickly. Also the shot capsules will jump the crimp (They are not really crimped) and jam the cylinder. So to be clear, do not fire a .357 Mag. bullet if there is a shot capsule in one cylinder.

Thanks for that! Will definitely buy a box and go out to the range and see what they do. Should give me an idea of distances. It's interested to hear about them unseating like that! This phenomenon would probably be even more prone to occur in the lighter Scandium framed guns (snappier recoil). Still might be a compromising alternative to the two guns though. Long as I work within the limitations, it might be fine.

BK-72
11-30-2010, 06:00 PM
How do you like the Condor pack?

10mm_Bob
11-30-2010, 07:02 PM
How do you like the Condor pack?

It's very durable, and holds everything I need it to. The biggest drawback is that the load is still primarily on your shoulders. I think it's a great pack for up to 15 pounds, but any more than that (which I always have more than that with camera gear) and you definitely feel it.

Sourdough
11-30-2010, 07:29 PM
It's very durable, and holds everything I need it to. The biggest drawback is that the load is still primarily on your shoulders. I think it's a great pack for up to 15 pounds, but any more than that (which I always have more than that with camera gear) and you definitely feel it.

Buy a small'ish external frame (But only the frame and Hip-belt & Shoulder-straps, then just attach the day pack to the frame using the existing straps & belt on the day pack.

10mm_Bob
12-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Buy a small'ish external frame (But only the frame and Hip-belt & Shoulder-straps, then just attach the day pack to the frame using the existing straps & belt on the day pack.

Funny you mention that. I'm actually looking at a GI issue MOLLE II rig right now. I just wish I could find someplace where I could try one on for fit, and load 30 pounds of weight on it and walk around the store for an hour.

Rick
12-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Don't do the 3 day assault pack. You won't be happy with the shoulder straps and they are sewn in so you can't upgrade them.

The long range pack is excellent, however, as is the Alice pack if you upgrade to Molle shoulder straps and kidney belt.

I don't think you'll find them any cheaper than this place.

http://shop.cjlenterprize.com/BACK-PACKS_c7.htm

The only drawback is they are slow. I mean slooooow. If they had better customer service they'd be a killer site. I ordered the Molle 2/$100 deal.

10mm_Bob
12-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Thanks for that link! I need to find one around here somewhere that I can try on before I wind up with another pack that I'll throw in the "Garage of unused gear". I'll never buy another pack without testing it under load first. I guess I'm just getting too old and soft to deal with uncomfortable packs :dissolve:

crashdive123
12-01-2010, 07:42 PM
Funny you mention that. I'm actually looking at a GI issue MOLLE II rig right now. I just wish I could find someplace where I could try one on for fit, and load 30 pounds of weight on it and walk around the store for an hour.

See if you have a local Army/Navy that carries them. A couple of our flea markets have em (regular booths) or gun shows. I'm sure they'll let you try it on for fit.

Rick
12-01-2010, 10:01 PM
You bet. I saw you post earlier that you wanted to try one on. You can check prices on the link and compare when you actually test drive one. Then buy where it's the cheapest.

10mm_Bob
12-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Thanks again guys. The surplus stores around here typically don't have much in the way of newer GI issue. They're also laden with inferior "knock-offs". I at least know what I'm looking for, so I should be able to spot the real deal from the cheap crap. I had a heckuva time finding "real" boonies a while back. When I finally found the real ones, I bought 6 of them (that was all they had in my size)! Nothing beats the real boonies in hot weather like Florida....especially under bug nets!

crashdive123
12-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Well, if you're going to be in the north end of the state anytime soon let me know. I've got a medium Alice, Large Alice and Molle you can test drive.

10mm_Bob
12-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Thanks crashdive. I don't usually wander too far North of Tampa, but I expect I could find something there.

crashdive123
12-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Thanks crashdive. I don't usually wander too far North of Tampa, but I expect I could find something there.

I'll be in Newport Richey area during for Christmas.

10mm_Bob
12-01-2010, 11:13 PM
I shoot out on Fort Desoto regularly. Not far from there at all. I'll be in Orlando on Christmas eve and Christmas day, but might make some trips up there over the break. PM me when you're in and maybe we can meet up somewhere for a few.

mccaw69
01-17-2011, 02:48 PM
The first aid kit should definatley stay,maybe you can remove some of the less like to be used components,but don't loose it all together.Also as stated before,think about loosing one of the guns,that'll light'n up your load quite a bit.I used to use the med. alice type pack for years,loved it,rugged and dependable,but I found that for me it was too much pack,I had too much empty space left over,which meant I wanted to fill it,thus leading to more weight,so I chucked it for a heavy duty day pack.It holds everything I need,first aid,fishing,fire kits,plus my camping hammock,and theres still room to spare,it weighs in a a little less than 10 lbs.

cetane
03-25-2011, 12:49 AM
I said it before and I will say it again look for the USMC ILBE. It is going to be the most comfortable, versatile pack to carry weight. I love mine and mine is over loaded at 60. no complaints. You can build it to do exactly what you want with pouches. Its big but pull the compression straps and it shrinks.

Rick
03-25-2011, 08:21 AM
The only way I'll carry a 60 pound pack is in the truck.

SSG HAWK
06-24-2011, 11:04 PM
Rick,
I must have a different configeration/variation 3 day (Woodland) Molle assault pack than you. Mine had the square metal attachment points on the top end of the straps just like on the medium Alice (only it has two sets which apparently are to give some adjustment for use with and without body armor). The bottom attachment is via Fastex buckle.
For like $15 my shoe cobler sewed the necessary Fastex buckle on an extra set of newer Woodland upgraded Alice straps and a sternum strap I assembled out of left over buckles and strap pieces and yippee I now have a 3 day with excellent straps. Really comfortable now.

Thanks for an outstanding site!