PDA

View Full Version : 18 year old coffee

welderguy
11-27-2010, 07:53 PM
Awhile back I bought two decorative tins that had Maxwell house coffe packs in them there the one pound flavor seal packs I payed a whopping 1.00 for both , cause there from 1992 the 100 year anniversary of Maxwell house . Anyways I was wondering if the coffee still tasted good so I opened one up and made a pot .... And holy cow it tastes great.

BENESSE
11-27-2010, 07:58 PM
That's the best news ever, welderguy!
Being able to store coffee for 15+ yrs. and forgetting about it is comforting. Like having those #10 cans.

Rick
11-27-2010, 08:00 PM
I'm assuming they were vacuum packed. If so they should last indefinitely, I'd think. As long as the seal is good. Still good info!!

crashdive123
11-27-2010, 09:37 PM
Well, the do advertise - Good to the last drop.

Sourdough
11-27-2010, 10:17 PM
I'm assuming they were vacuum packed. If so they should last indefinitely, I'd think. As long as the seal is good. Still good info!!

Yes, and two other points, the price of coffee is going too double, and you have to look carefully as some of what looks like cans is really paper. I just opened a can of Maxwell House, and it looks like a can on the outside, but you can see that it is paper on the inside. Just not as strong, rodent-proof, and water-proof as a can.

hunter63
12-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Good to know, thanks..........

BENESSE
12-01-2010, 10:58 PM
Do you guys think instant coffee in jars would keep as well?

kyratshooter
12-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Instant turns into a big brown brick after about a year. I have a jar in the cabinet right now that needs work with an ice-pick to free it up.

How long it will last unopened I would not guess. I had packets in my C-rats in the army that were left over from Waterloo or Gettysburg I am certain.

Did you know instant coffee was popular in the rations of the Civil War. It has been around that long. They called it desicated coffee.

It should be a criminal offense to pack coffee in an "artificial can". I lived on the Appalation Trail for two months with only a coffee can and a spoon as cooking and eating utensil. Right after my knife and firesteel I want a coffee can as primary survival tools.

rebel
12-02-2010, 07:19 AM
That is good info. I kept looking at two vacuum packed coffees on our shelf and wondered if they were any good. I had forgotten about them and didn't want to throw them out without trying them. I guess they can sit for another ten years. LOL.

kyratshooter
12-02-2010, 11:52 PM
I can not find any vaccum packed coffe in my area any more.

Ever notice all the "light" and "Mild" blends they have on the shelf now? What on earth is the purpose of "light" coffee?

How do you get the spoon to stand up straight in a cup of watered down "light" coffee?

Rick
12-03-2010, 05:58 PM
Oh, man. Too funny. I just got this mental picture of you at the grocery store.

Psssht. "No. That one's not vacuum packed."
Psssht. "No. That one's not."
Psssht. "Nope."
"Hey you! What are you doing opening all those cans of coffee?!"
"It was a little kid. I was just puttin' 'em back."
Psssht. "Nope."

hunter63
12-03-2010, 07:03 PM
I can not find any vaccum packed coffe in my area any more.

Ever notice all the "light" and "Mild" blends they have on the shelf now? What on earth is the purpose of "light" coffee?

How do you get the spoon to stand up straight in a cup of watered down "light" coffee?

LOL, I hear ya, dump in a bunch of high test, fill with water, boil till it boils over, take off fire, throw in horse shoe, if it sinks, do it again.........

Then let stand, for a minute or two.....pour in tin cup, burn finger holding the little handle........strain thru teeth.....
That's a cup of Joe!