PDA

View Full Version : field stove

bobcat123
11-27-2010, 05:34 PM
i was experimenting with a fire and had this idea

you will need:

a turtle shell

a fire

make a fire and then take some very hot coals and put near enough to heat up turtle shell take some unburned material and light with coals let mini fire heat up alot then place more matierial on mini fire and place turtle shell on top of mini fire blow under turtle shell and put some sticks on edges of the shell to lift it up of the ground then MAKE SURE THE SHELL IS HOT ENOUGH and you can warm up or even cook certain food s onthe turtle shell :dead:make sure THAT THE FOOD GETS DONE :dead:

just because i put it doesentmean that it is safeor not its just an idea ok:stuart::oops:

Rick
11-27-2010, 05:40 PM
You do know the outer layer is keratin, which is the same stuff hair and nails are made of? I'll bet that stinks when it burns. I've never tried it and I don't think I want to.

Alaskan Survivalist
11-27-2010, 05:42 PM
I love experiments! Better when I can watch the other guy do it. Take pictures.

bobcat123
11-29-2010, 06:34 PM
you dont burn the shell just heat it up

Rick
11-29-2010, 07:29 PM
Well, I need pictures then. Seems to me if you are applying hot coals then you wind up burning it. Maybe I'm not thinking right.

wareagle69
11-30-2010, 09:15 AM
interesting concept, but bears more research.here are my concerns, turltles are notorious beerers of salmonela i have 4 of them in my aquarium. the only turtle in ontario that i am allowd to hunt is the snapping turltle which is a very thick shell, unlike say the soft shell turtle or the blandings or map turtle.
Now as a child i remember the big turtle shell at camp and stories of it being used as a soup bowl, but maybe it was finnished in some manner or not cooked in.
You do raise allot of questions with this topic, questions that merit answers, you now have a task freind to do all possible research on this and keep us informed
WE

your_comforting_company
11-30-2010, 09:21 AM
I would think droppin hot rocks in would be a more effective method than putting the shell directly in the fire.

Justin Case
11-30-2010, 09:24 AM
Didn't Bear throw a swamp turtle on the fire once shell and all to cook it ?

Batch
11-30-2010, 11:03 PM
Turtle is traditionally cooked in the shell by our native Indians.

http://www.seminoletribe.com/culture/SeminoleFood.aspx

bobcat123
11-30-2010, 11:45 PM
i didnt say putit in the fire just turn it like the turtle wasin it sitting there and put coals under it

crashdive123
12-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Have you tried it? If so, what kind of turtle? How did it work? Pictures?

hunter63
12-01-2010, 08:23 PM
I do understand that you just proposed an idea.

I sure that it might work, providing you have a suitable turtle shell, but I have to ask, What is the source of that shell?
Like the hot rocks as opposed to the putting on fire

I have found a few, mostly from dead turtles, and pretty nasty, with dead stuff still in it and all, although there was a small one that the ants had cleaned out, top and bottom still intact.
Have 2 big ones that hang from my lodge medicine pole, under the buffalo skull, that were also cleaned in an ant hill.

So are you proposing you need to kill one to get the shell?

I guess this is gonna be pretty far down on my list of things to experiment with, as I don't kill turtles unless they are attacking me.

Rick
12-01-2010, 09:39 PM
I don't kill turtles unless they are attacking me.

You have that problem in Wisconsin, too? The little devils will hide behind stuff and jump out at you. The only up side is they jump pretty darn slow and you can usually be home by the time they actually land. I once walked into a jumping turtle. I assume he had planned to ambush someone else and I just happened along and BOOM! there he was. Fortunate for me they go for the jugular just as slow as they jump.

hunter63
12-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Had a big snapper dragging a decoy cord and decoy once, look weird as heck, gave up after I hollered, "Hey what are you doing there?"

Guess I'm gonna be needing a turtle gun...........Oh, Honey, guy here says they got attacking turtles, gonna be needing a new upper for the AR.........

Rick
12-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Oh, snappers. Snap! Those things aren't that slow. We have the alligator snapper. I fear those things like I fear gators. Nasty, vicious, malcontents.