PDA

View Full Version : good knife

bobcat123
11-26-2010, 05:58 PM
i have a few knives but kinda lookin for a good quality brand do you knowof any that are duarable and rust resistant i know about gerber ( yes knife not baby food) but kinda exspensive like also must be affordable = 25$ or less please:thumbs_up:

crashdive123
11-26-2010, 06:11 PM
i have a few knives but kinda lookin for a good quality brand do you knowof any that are duarable and rust resistant i know about gerber ( yes knife not baby food) but kinda exspensive like also must be affordable = 25$ or less please:thumbs_up:

I am uncomfortable giving advice on sharp things or things that go bang unless I know a little about whom I am giving that advice to. You could fix that by stoppin on by the Introduction section and telling us a little about yourself. Thanks.

Note: Others may not have the same level of discomfort that I have so you may get some good suggestions without an intro.

Sarge47
11-27-2010, 12:36 AM
Like Crash says! :cool2:

kyratshooter
11-28-2010, 03:14 PM
Did BC ever come back?

He must have gone to another forum, asked this question and is still trying to catch up to the 10 pages of replies.

For the life of me I can not understand how a grown man can have no concept of the knife he needs or a brand preference. I had a knife opinion in 1955, three days before I started 1st grade!

I was right and I havn't changed my mind much since then.

I can't see how so many folks consider themselves qualified to advise when all they have to go on is "My name is George and I need a knife."

bobcat123
11-29-2010, 06:31 PM
i have an opinion and i didnt leave i just want to know if you guys knew a good lineof knives

bobcat123
11-29-2010, 06:38 PM
i wnat info not to get talked down to now if you just want to down me krya i might as well find a better nicer site then

kyratshooter
11-29-2010, 07:08 PM
this is one of the most friendly and informative sites you will find. As I said, you can go down the street and 1000 people will give you their useless opinion based on their 13 years experience and two trips to Boy Scout Camp.

If you do not want to get "talked down too" do not talk down to us with impossible questions. It is impossible to give good advice with no specific requirements stated.

And we still have ZERO use parimeters.

We do not know if you need a skinning knife, a combat knife, a survival blade for artic/jungle/mountain or desert or perhaps something to put on your keychain?

Will this be the only knife you carry?

Will you need to open cans, open oil drums, open deer, open moose or open car doors?

Do you prefer a 4" blade or a 15" blade and are you in a salty damp environment or 2% humidity.

Is your definition of "fine work" hacking down pine trees or digging splinters out of your kids finger?

Imagine what would happen if you went into a Ford dealership and told them you needed a car, perhaps a blue car? No use implied, no family size given, no price range specified?

Go to the doctors office and hide behind the chair yelling "I feel bad!". That would be a good move.

Rick
11-29-2010, 07:12 PM
Bobcat - No less than three people have asked you for additional information. We still do not know what age range you are in. If you would have be kind enough to provide any of the information the previous posters had asked you would probably have you answer already.

Sarge47
11-30-2010, 01:04 PM
Rick, Ky, & Crash + 1! :thumbup1:

BC, we need more info, no intro, no info, that's my policy. You are NOT being talked down to; you were given info based on our knowledge of you & your needs. :huh: If you wish to join a different forum, be my guest. :3:

ClovisMan
11-30-2010, 01:43 PM
You can't go wrong with this knife. I mean it was featured on a Discovery Channel Show and all so it has to be the best out there, right?
http://www.topsknives.com/product_info.php?products_id=307

This one is dubbed, "The Ultimate Knife" and is endorsed by Bear Grylls himself. Can't wrong there!!!
http://bear.gerbergear.com/Knives/ultimate-knife/

And we all know who made this one famous...
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Ultimate-Survival-Knife-Compass/dp/B000AP4Y16

Old GI
11-30-2010, 01:53 PM
I only want knives that are sold with the claim to be used by Special Forces, Rangers, Force Recon or SEALs.;)

Rick
11-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Aw, come on guys. It's not that tough. What's the best survival knife? :innocent:

bobcat123
11-30-2010, 05:55 PM
thanks clovis see guys thats what i want just good simple advice if i knewall of those specs why would i needyou people's advice because i would already know which one i need khyra :banana:

Rick
11-30-2010, 06:02 PM
You're probably right. One of those will work just fine.

Sarge47
11-30-2010, 06:09 PM
Yeah, Rick's right! Good job Clovis! :death:

Sarge47
11-30-2010, 06:15 PM
Here's something else, the best survival rifle is a semi-automatic single shot .22, it'll take down a bear, you can buy them from the Mounties. However I don't expect you can do much bear hunting down near Wichita, Kansas. :fishface:

Sarge47
11-30-2010, 06:37 PM
Yeah, Rick's right! Good job Clovis! :death:
Actually only the bottom one meets the "price range criteria" you've listed. However the top one is probably the best. I've recently bought two of the middle ones off of Amazon at $60 each. :death:

beetlejuicex3
11-30-2010, 09:17 PM
My favorite knife is the Cold Steel Recon 1 50/50 clip point. It's a rugged folder with a good size blade. ~$60 depending on where you buy it.

Gerber's LMF II is a popular fixed blade knife. It's sheath has a built in sharpener which is pretty cool.

Ka-Bar USMC short fixed blade knives come with a 50/50 blade option and leather or kydex sheath. $50+ I think.

Fixed blade knives around $20-$30... a bit tricky. Cold Steel Bushman or GI Tanto? Neither come with partial serration though.

Ka-bar makes some fixed blade skinners too if that's what you're after.

Sorry for the rough reception, it can be a tough crowd around here and they get a "what's your favorite knife" post here about once a week. I think I asked it when I first showed up! Knowing what you need the knife for will help everyone give you the best advice as there are many different knives for different needs. Many folks here make their own artisan knives as well so they know ALOT about knives.

ClovisMan
11-30-2010, 11:00 PM
Actually only the bottom one meets the "price range criteria" you've listed. However the top one is probably the best. I've recently bought two of the middle ones off of Amazon at $60 each. :death:Wow, my post was really aimed at being sarcastic. I guess I need to try harder!! I don't own any of those knives and if you ask Mykel Hawke about that Hellion knife, he will tell you it's real peice of mule poop. LOL.

So, to answer the OP's question seriously, I would put the $20 in a box and add $20 every month until I could afford a good 5 inch or so fixed blade knife from Ka-Bar, Esee, or Ontario. The Becker Companion or the Esee Jungla 5 would be at the top of my "all-purpose" list. Although if I had a choice, I would like that fine peice of steal that Panch0 posted earlier today.

bobcat123
11-30-2010, 11:23 PM
thanks clovis

bobcat123
11-30-2010, 11:27 PM
thanks beatle

kyratshooter
12-01-2010, 12:13 AM
We are mere ametuers here, and unfriendly at that.

To get a proper version of expert opinion one should really go over the the survivalist boards and look at their "One Knife for Survival" thread.

A one sentence question with absolutely no other information gets you 34 pages and 669 expert opinions and every one of them is sure he is right.

Which is almost as good as their Delete This Post thread which now has about 5,000 expert opinions on a typo error.

bobcat123
12-02-2010, 04:03 PM
what???? are you talking about

Rick
12-02-2010, 07:07 PM
Pay no attention to him. The medicine cart will come by in about half an hour so he should start settling down after that.

klkak
12-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Man you guys are like a "Pack of Wolves". I was going to become a member of this forum..................... :oops: I'm already a member in good standing of this forum. :thumbup: I'm just gonna go find a topic I know nothing about and give my expert advice on some unknown aspect of it. :sleeping:

kyratshooter
12-03-2010, 12:25 AM
Man you guys are like a "Pack of Wolves". I was going to become a member of this forum..................... :oops: I'm already a member in good standing of this forum. :thumbup: I'm just gonna go find a topic I know nothing about and give my expert advice on some unknown aspect of it. :sleeping:

We arn't viscious, we were just teasing ole SpongeBob a little bit.

You don't count Klkak, you have 2,000 posts and probably been carrying the same knife for 30 years!

If you go up to the general prepardness section there's a thread on EMP you could jump on. Nobody outside of NASA knows crap about EMP so you can be an expert on it wheather you know anything or not. If you say flux capacitor, nuron adjustor and amplitude wave length over and over you'll sound as good as the best. Just don't start talking Klingon or make any reference to Will Crutcher or you'll give away your "Confidential sources".

Rick
12-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Actually, his knife is at the bottom of the ocean. Along with his firearm. Bad canoe accident or something along those lines. Sadly, he has no weapons left.

hunter63
12-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Sooooo, I guess I still unclear, what have all of us "experts" ( ex=has been, pert=drip under pressure) declared as the Perfect Knife, for Everything, for $20 bucks?

(Sorry guys, I just couldn't help myself)

I say it's the one "You Got at the time", and why is it nessessary to have just one? he who has the most knives (or toys in general) when he dies, WINS!

crashdive123
12-03-2010, 06:15 PM
I'm sure that there are many answers to the OP's question. Unless and until he answers a few basic questions that were asked, it is doubtful that meaningful answers will be provided.