PDA

View Full Version : trapping in ontario

wareagle69
11-23-2010, 02:52 PM
so i am creating this thread to cover ontario-this will be regualtions and techniques and tricks of the trade, some will cover all areas but as always consult local laws.
So i started my trapping apprenticeship this month, i live in a great area for outdoors knowlegde from being able to train with al beauchamp to all the trappers in this area, so as i immersed my self passionaltly in wild edibles for 3 years so i will study this method full tilt also
i do not claim to know much right now as i am just beginning my journey ,but i can asure you that anything posted here will be tried and true.as with anything anyone ever posts i reccomend you research what has been posted.
This is probably going to be more of a qucik reference journel for myself than anything else and posting will be sporadic as it is prime season right now, but the journey this month so far has been fun and changed the way i look at outdoor survival, i will talk more about that in other areas, as my pack has changed and now the areas i am trapping in has trappers cabin stuck way out in the middle of nowhere that all trappers leave open and for people to use respectfully.

wareagle69
11-23-2010, 03:01 PM
badger,american
beaver
bobcat
coyote
fisher
fox,artic
fox,grey
fox,red(all colour phases)
lynx
marten
mink
muskrat
oposum
otter
racoon
skunk,stripped
squirrel,red
weasel,least
weasel,long-tailed
weasel,short-tailed
wolf

rebel
11-23-2010, 04:25 PM
Wabbit ... ?

BENESSE
11-23-2010, 04:46 PM
...sneasel?

wareagle69
11-23-2010, 04:52 PM
Wabbit ... ?

wabbit is a game mammal not a fur bearing mammal
bear,black
caribou,woodland
cottontail
deer,white-tailed
elk,american,(wapiti)
hare,european
hare,varying(snoeshoe)
moose
squirrel,grey(black)
squirrel,fox

wareagle69
11-23-2010, 04:53 PM
turtle,snapping

wareagle69
11-23-2010, 04:55 PM
bullfrog...

wareagle69
11-23-2010, 05:00 PM
bobwhite,northern
grouse,ruffed
grouse,sharptailed
grouce,spruce
partridge,gray(hungarian)
pheasant,ring necked
ptarmigan,rock
ptarmigan,willow
turkey,wild

wareagle69
11-23-2010, 05:04 PM
this was the reason i got into the trappers course, i wanted to learn how to snare rabbit, now i find out it is a game mammal and not a fur bearing mammal so the course does not cover snaring rabbit
this section will cover what to snare and how and what is legal and not legal in the province of ontario, what i will do is copy the regulation here and then a translation of said regulation as told to me by the MNR officer in my district.
I find that by typing all about trapping here it is ingrained into my head better, so stay tuned

wareagle69
11-29-2010, 04:27 PM
funny thing is, for anyone who has been here for a spell, knows my backgroun with raising orphaned moose and bear cubs and my wifes work at the wildlife centre, and now i start trapping, sounds like a conflict right?.

Well suffice it to say the wife is not thrilled but understands my desire to learn the bush and honestly trapping gives me more intimate knowlegde of animals than i ever had before which can be an asset to her work
I have not purposefully killed anything since oct 93, have not held a weapon since then.......no need going into that.
Watching les strou
d do his temagami episode and skinning a rabbit he said what i alwasy have thought, cute furry bunny until skinned then he sees dinner.with the animals i have been skinning i think the same thing.
The only problem i have with trapping is them throwing out the carcasses after for bait or what have you but not eating what they have killed, moral issue for me.
Eat what ya kill to me which is why i am learning to trap, not for profit but to learn to handle the furs and how to get dinner if need be and clothing if i had to rely on the wilds for sustanance.
I have learned it is not just as simple as putting out traps, you have to know when where and how, lots of work ahead of me.
WE

randyt
11-29-2010, 06:21 PM
Trapping can be an awesome endeavor. the best times of my life has been trapping. I love it.

Rick
11-29-2010, 07:42 PM
I've refrained from commenting here because I don't want to mess up your thread. However, I see no conflict with what you have been doing with animals and your desire to learn trapping. I think everyone on here understands your end goal. I also concur with utilizing the whole animal and I'm pleased to see you state that. This is an excellent thread. Cudos, my friend and a little rep for you.

rwc1969
11-29-2010, 10:22 PM
Cool! I'm just subscribing.