PDA

View Full Version : Who's cooking their Thanksgiving turkey outdoors?

pgvoutdoors
11-23-2010, 12:36 AM
I just moved to a cottage where the kitchen has only one oven; so the Thanksgiving bird goes outside to be cooked. This frees up the oven for other cooking. I prefer to cook the bird outdoors, smoking or slow roasting it. In northeast Ohio the weather can be warm to a snow storm though, just another twist for the outdoor chef.

Is there anyone else planning to do a little outdoor cooking for Thanksgiving?

crashdive123
11-23-2010, 06:30 AM
We're not doing a turkey this year, so firing up the grill may be in the cards.....of course, we grill often anyway.

Rick
11-23-2010, 08:14 AM
And Crash may be faced with a heat wave. Just another twist for the outdoor chef.

roar-k
11-23-2010, 09:21 AM
Well, I am smoking a turkey this year. I had to go and tell the family that I am a smoking fiend and they said, "Well good, you can make the turkey this year. We haven't had smoked turkey in quite some time...."

Now I am trying to decide what spices to put in the brine...

SARKY
11-23-2010, 11:48 AM
ditto on the smoking a turkey.....dam it's hard keeping it lit

crashdive123
11-23-2010, 12:40 PM
http://www.tobaccoparty.us/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/turkey.jpg

panch0
11-23-2010, 01:52 PM
I will be making one outdoors but it will be fried. Hopefully it wount catch fire like last year. Hehehe.... Hope yall have a great one!

LFM
11-23-2010, 07:06 PM
As long as I can remember My wife and I have cooked a turkey outside.

Every Thanksgiving brings back memory's, of the first Thanksgiving I smoked a turkey. My wife bought a 28lb turkey I had made a brand smoker, just finish Thanksgiving morning. I decide I needed to burn the smoker in before cooking anything in it. Well one thing lead to another before I realized time got a way from me. It was close to noon before the turkey hit the smoker. Well slow and low is the way to smoke anything. Friends started showing up around 4:00 pm for the big dinner (dinner was planned for 6:30 pm). Around 7pm the friends started leaving with out getting to eating any of the half raw bird. 10 pm or so and the wife went to bed leaving me at the smoker finishing what I started. About 1am me and my 3 dogs ate one of the best turkeys I've ever had. Maybe it was just the good company I had my dinner with.

This year we got small 14 lb turkey. I think thats just about the right size for they fryer. Fast food is good.

pgvoutdoors
12-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Decided to brine the turkey overnight and cook it in the Masterbuilt smoker. Turned out great, the hickory smoke really penetrate the meat and gave it a sweet smoky flavor. The turkey was even better when I took the leftovers and made turkey salad sandwiches out of it. It was a good Thanksgiving.

beetlejuicex3
12-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Decided to brine the turkey overnight and cook it in the Masterbuilt smoker. Turned out great, the hickory smoke really penetrate the meat and gave it a sweet smoky flavor. The turkey was even better when I took the leftovers and made turkey salad sandwiches out of it. It was a good Thanksgiving.

+1 for brine and smoke. My father did this with our family turkey this year - applewood. Amazing.