PDA

View Full Version : Quick and easy beer bread

almostbarefoot
11-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Beer Bread
I'm sure y'all have heard of this. It's the quickest and easiest way to produce bread that I've ever seen.

3 cups all purpose flour (sifted)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
12 ounces of your favorite frosty brew (Shiner Bock for me)

Combine dry ingredients and stir in beer slowly to produce a thick batter. Spread batter into a greased 8" bread pan and place in pre-heated oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. That's it!

If you want more complexity try adding a couple of teaspoons of dill, rosemary or other herbs for flavor. A cup of grated parmesan or chedder also makes a nice addition. For a glaze you can melt a 1/4 cup of butter or beat an egg with two teaspoons of water, brush on before cooking.
Enjoy!

Rick
11-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Post 929:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10931&highlight=beer+bread&page=47

grrlscout
12-06-2010, 01:52 PM
I remember seeing Rick's wife's recipe, and it sounded so good. So I Googled around, and found several versions. I took the parts I liked about all of them, and put them together. This is what I came up with:

My Whole Wheat Beer Bread
Makes One Loaf

1 c Whole wheat flour
1 c Whole wheat pastry flour
1 c All-Purpose flour
Optional: sub in up to 1/4 c toasted wheat germ for up to 1/4 c of the whole wheat flour.
1 teaspoon salt
2 tsp. baking powder

1Tbsp honey
12 ounces beer

Optional: brush with melted butter, 2 min before it's done.

Heat oven to 375 degrees.

Combine flour, salt, baking powder, and toasted wheat germ, if using, in a large mixing bowl.

Slowly stir in beer and honey, and mix just until combined. Batter will be thick.

Spread in a greased 8-inch loaf pan and bake until golden brown, and a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.

Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool 10 more minutes.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5281/5238270024_914e007dc6_b.jpg

It as good, but could have been fluffier (might go with 1 TBSP of baking piowder next time), and it had a slightly bitter taste. I don't know if that was due to the type of baking powder (was out of the aluminum-free stuff) or the beer (New Belgium's 2 Below) I used.

I would certainly make it again, however!

grrlscout
12-06-2010, 03:39 PM
w h u t ?:huh: