PDA

View Full Version : nonstick vs stainless steel

crimescene450
11-22-2010, 06:02 AM
Hi guys.

just wondering.... between nonstick pots and pans and stainless steel ones,
is one kind better than the other as far as cooking over the campfire, and the ease of cleaning afterwards at the campsite?

your_comforting_company
11-22-2010, 07:05 AM
IMO the nonstick is easier to clean but requires more attention in storage, while stainless will never rust or mar, but is a little harder to clean. I like to use the blue (ceramic coated?) pots and pans, myself.

Rick
11-22-2010, 07:48 AM
Stainless is pretty rugged. The type of wood you use and the type of fire you cook on has an impact on the amount of soot/creosote that collects on the bottom of your pans. I use a commercial propane stove just to avoid the clean up and storage mess but if you rub some soap on the bottom of the pan before cooking then it will make clean up easier.

crimescene450
11-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Stainless is pretty rugged. The type of wood you use and the type of fire you cook on has an impact on the amount of soot/creosote that collects on the bottom of your pans. I use a commercial propane stove just to avoid the clean up and storage mess but if you rub some soap on the bottom of the pan before cooking then it will make clean up easier.

yeah usually i go camping with my dad (who lives in ohio) and we just use this electric skillet he has. its pretty neat.

other times we use a little coleman stove.

but im going campign with my friends (in CA,) and i dont have the stove or skillet with me, so were gonna be cooking over the fire

rub soap on the bottom?
i assume youre talking about bar soap?

and doesnt it just melt off?

BENESSE
11-22-2010, 06:50 PM
Stay away from non stick (teflon)!
Dangerous when scratched and you will scratch it especially out in the field. Also dangerous when heated at high temps.

Rick
11-22-2010, 07:55 PM
Liquid soap works well but I assume you could rub bar soap on it. All you are doing is applying a film for the soot to cling to instead of adhering to the pot. It's isn't fool proof (I know cause I've used it) but it does a pretty good job.

LowKey
11-22-2010, 08:11 PM
I've always used stainless. But I'm from the sterno-stove era when it comes to camping...

SARKY
11-22-2010, 10:46 PM
For field cooking I have prefered stainless to aluminium nonstick or otherwise. I have since gone to titanium, same benefits as stainless but lighter.