PDA

View Full Version : Field expedient dish soap

rwc1969
11-15-2010, 11:18 PM
Someone here asked a while back how you clean your pots and such in the field. I've been experimenting around a bit and found this works real good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6TfgEnvz_U

Simply add a small amount of white wood ash to some hot water and use a non-irritating plant to scrub them clean, then rinse well and wipe or air dry.

The wood ash works great for removing the black soot and resin from your pots if you want to.

your_comforting_company
11-16-2010, 08:01 AM
They small amount of lye in the ashes will act as a detergent, and if you add in a "soapy" plant for your scrubber, the saponins will help break up the surface tension.
This will work great for those "blue pots", but I would only recommend it on cast iron if there were some fat readily available to recoat the pot.
A word of caution, tho, wood ash and water makes lye, which can burn the skin. A little goes a long way, so use a little, and if you need more add a little more.. don't pour a pound of ashes in there with a few drops of water and go sticking your hand in!
Good post RWC!

rwc1969
11-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Thanks YCC. I'm surprised just how little ash gets them clean. I probably used a teaspoon or tablespoon to a half pint of water.

crashdive123
11-16-2010, 05:59 PM
Another good vid - thanks.

rwc1969
11-17-2010, 02:10 AM
You're welcome Crash. :blushing:

FYI to WIMC, I was thinking about what YCC said and another word of caution is to make sure the stuff is rinsed well and dry or it might eat up your pack or even the finish off your skillet or such over time.