PDA

View Full Version : what I did with a couple broken kitchen knives

welderguy
11-13-2010, 10:44 PM
I had a couple stainless steel large kitchen ( butcher ) knives that had broke near the handle, so I was board the other day and wanted to play with my new dremal so I made these. the skinner style blade is a thiner steel its overall lendht is 5.5 inches, the other is 7.75 inches in lenght and is a thicker steel.

I am not going to do any handle on the small knife, and will most likely do some wood scales on the longer one ,

canid
11-13-2010, 11:04 PM
did you do your grinding slow enough to keep the heat treat intact?

those look like fun designs.

welderguy
11-13-2010, 11:07 PM
did you do your grinding slow enough to keep the heat treat intact?

those look like fun designs.

yes, plus I also kept the blade wet as I was cutting and sanding.

Ted
11-14-2010, 02:03 AM
Well..... as a matter of fact I started making a knife last week out of a old kitchen knife myself. Haven't finished it, so haven't posted it yet. (Great minds think alike you know!)

Those are pretty cool! I like the small one alot!

Carefull now....this stuff is very addictive!

panch0
11-14-2010, 03:57 AM
Looks like we have a couple more lost souls in the knife making world. Hehehe. I like the bottom one best. It just looks like it would be a handy knife to have.

crashdive123
11-14-2010, 06:58 AM
Well done. Be sure and let us see how the handles turn out.

Camp10
11-14-2010, 07:31 AM
I had a couple stainless steel large kitchen ( butcher ) knives that had broke near the handle.

Tell the truth, you broke them just so you could make them cooler! Nice start, I cant wait to see them all finished.

p moore
11-14-2010, 08:55 AM
I like em. I think they both would pretty handy to have. THe bottom one is also my favorite. Cord wrap, or slabs for the handles?

Paul

welderguy
11-14-2010, 10:54 AM
Tell the truth, you broke them just so you could make them cooler! Nice start, I cant wait to see them all finished.

LOL nope not these two, now I am however going to keep an eye out for some doners at the thrift store.

I am going to try and work on the handles today some .

welderguy
11-14-2010, 10:58 AM
I like em. I think they both would pretty handy to have. THe bottom one is also my favorite. Cord wrap, or slabs for the handles?

Paul

Im thinking some oak scales since I already have some scraps of that laying around I just dont have any pinning material, I may try my luck at some crashcarta , I have some cool burlap camo material, and also a piece of blaze orange material.

welderguy
11-14-2010, 11:07 AM
My original intentions on the top knife was a light sturdy blade that would fit in an altoids tin survival kit. but I got carried away and it is way too long . so now it has found a home in the pocket of my bushman sheath.

welderguy
11-14-2010, 11:38 AM
Looks like we have a couple more lost souls in the knife making world. Hehehe. I like the bottom one best. It just looks like it would be a handy knife to have.

Ive actually got a lot of carbon steel blades that ive cut and shaped but do not have the right equipment to finish the blades right ( belt sander) That and I am not too good at making handles , so one day I hope to flood ya all with my finished knives LOL .

2dumb2kwit
11-14-2010, 01:48 PM
What the heck are you guys doing at home, thats breaking your kitchen knives??? LOL

Sheez....talk about a rough crowd!:mellow: LOL

welderguy
11-14-2010, 01:57 PM
What the heck are you guys doing at home, thats breaking your kitchen knives??? LOL

Sheez....talk about a rough crowd!:mellow: LOL

well around my place there also screwdrivers, prybars, and the last ditch chisel.

welderguy
11-14-2010, 02:06 PM
Well while sitting on the porch I started eyeballing the antler thats been hanging there for 6 months, well part of it is now the start of my knife handle. Here is a couple of pics of the start of them.

Winter
11-14-2010, 02:11 PM
very functional looking.

p moore
11-14-2010, 03:15 PM
That works for me. Looks good.

Paul

Ted
11-14-2010, 05:45 PM
That looks great! Good job bro!

Oh come on! You don't need a belt sander. All mine have been done on a bench grinder for major removal, then a file then a coures stone. The handles have all been done with a dremal tool and then hand sanded.

I guess what I'm trying to tell you is, START THE FLOOD!!!!!

rebel
11-14-2010, 08:35 PM
Looks good!

Survival Guy 10
03-27-2011, 09:39 PM
Ive actually got a lot of carbon steel blades that ive cut and shaped but do not have the right equipment to finish the blades right ( belt sander) That and I am not too good at making handles , so one day I hope to flood ya all with my finished knives LOL .

mine is the same way many knife blanks just no handles lol

Skinner
03-30-2011, 11:21 AM
They Both Look Good . And You Sound Like I Did the 1st time I Was Just going to Re-Handle some Knives Now I'm Full tilt In to Mkaing Knives .Started Woth Scrap Red Oak And Now I Lean to Making Micarta . Started With My Dremal and Hand Sanding With Files Now ,Now Have a Small 1"/30" Sander and Looking to the Future on a Work Shop and Bigger tools .And the Best Part Nobody Bothers you When your Working On a Knife .

crashdive123
03-30-2011, 03:52 PM
Not sure how I missed the finished product. Great job.

Pocomoonskyeyes3
03-30-2011, 04:00 PM
Those look really cool! Now I have to agree with Ted....Start bringing the flood on!