PDA

View Full Version : Canadian mty wrote bear control book

y2k
11-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Said he'd had to shoot about 40 in his carreer. Mostly young ones that got into people's homes and wouldn't leave. He used a single shot 22 rifle, shot them in the eye or the ear. So much for "needing" a 30-06, eh? :-) People didn't want blood splattered all over their homes, or big holes blown in the walls, etc. It most assuredly IS about placement. When I was a kid, I was amazed when I first saw a 1500 lb bull collapse to one shot from a 22 rifle to the head. Today, people seem to have no idea what's what. They have no problem believing that it's feasible to get within 10 ft of game with a slingshot, but it's "not feasible" to get within 50 ft, and brain the critter with a 22 rifle. :-) Well, you can't have it both ways, boys. Bears are not hard to bait in, and you can safely and easily brain them with a .22. you just have to be smart enough to use a tree stand, like they used to do for tiger hunting, in the dark.

Alaskan Survivalist
11-12-2010, 03:54 PM
I'm so glad you came along. It's changed my life! I'd love it if you ever come to Alaska to give me some personal instruction on dealing with bears. I know right where to go for you to demonstrate your prowess with a 22.

tsitenha
11-12-2010, 04:32 PM
BS, I supose the mty = mountie = RCMP, a .22lr is not issue. As is so right it would be a good show post pictures

Justin Case
11-12-2010, 04:40 PM
I seen a butcher kills cows with a 22,, just sayin,, he shot then in the head,,

finallyME
11-12-2010, 05:03 PM
you just have to be smart enough to use a tree stand, like they used to do for tiger hunting, in the dark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jojNzvtP6LY&feature=related

crashdive123
11-12-2010, 05:05 PM
I guess he needs a taller elephant/tree stand.:innocent:

BigDaddy
11-12-2010, 05:08 PM
i don't know...
if the bear is "young" enough to go down with a .22, my guess is that there's a mommy bear not far behind...a very pissed off mommy bear.

a RCMP with a .22? a single shot .22? that's a little hard to swallow. that's like a Texas Ranger carrying a .22
any of you in the Lone Star State seen any rangers with a pea shooter? or are they still carrying those bog bore widow makers like i've seen in the past?

aflineman
11-12-2010, 05:13 PM

I have done it with cows and pigs. I have killed cows and pigs that way. Sheep though, I just use a sharp knife. That being said, a .22 would not be my first choice for a wild boar. Nor a hunting knife for a wild ram.

Rick
11-12-2010, 05:13 PM
There is no way I would touch that line. No sir, I ain't gonna go there.

BigDaddy
11-12-2010, 05:16 PM

don't do it! don't do it!
no...no...no...:angermanagement:

Justin Case
11-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Congratulations ! LOL

aflineman
11-12-2010, 05:47 PM

Well, it didn't look quite like that when I wrote it. Maybe ya'll just have dirty minds. :oops:

Justin Case
11-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Guilty !,,,,,,

crashdive123
11-12-2010, 06:46 PM
I have done it with cows and pigs.

Looks a little different when you view it like this - huh AF?

aflineman
11-12-2010, 06:56 PM
Looks a little different when you view it like this - huh AF?

Yes. It would take all of the humor out of it if I deleted it in it's entirety though. :idea: :p

crashdive123
11-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Yeah, but you know how that Rick is. He would have restored it.:innocent:

aflineman
11-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Yeah, but you know how that Rick is. He would have restored it.:innocent:

Yup, and I don't blame him. It is pretty funny. :)

Rick
11-12-2010, 07:35 PM
I told you. I ain't touchin' it.

Sarge47
11-12-2010, 09:18 PM
Well, I live in Illinois & the only Bears we have come from Chicago....you can stop them with the Miami Dolphins! :whistling: :thumbup:

canid
11-12-2010, 09:39 PM

but have you ever seen a headshot cow come tearing up a treestand on it's way out?

Justin Case
11-12-2010, 10:15 PM
but have you ever seen a headshot cow come tearing up a treestand on it's way out?

LOL,, Nope,, They pretty much all just fell down,,,

Batch
11-14-2010, 11:18 AM
You would think you would be able to find some info on a Mountie that had killed 40 bears.

Here they can only kill the animal if lives are in danger. Otherwise they have to live capture or tranquilize the animal.

I googled and read of a few mounties who had to shoot a charging bear with their 9mm. Also did read about one who shot a bear dead in a house. But, the family was trapped in the house and they tried to pepper spray the animal first. You wanna make the eye or ear shot on a pi$$ed off bear inside a house?

To think you could make that eye or ear shot on a bear coming at you in a hurry is just fooling yourself.

I mean what are our armed responders and soldiers doing. Why all the disparity in arms. Everyone just gets a .22 and makes head shots through an eye or an ear. Have a designated marksman with a .22 magnum.

What's that you say? People have been killed with BB guns?

Hey, y'all! We got a new defensive round...:m107:

Justin Case
11-14-2010, 11:32 AM
Yes, I noticed that also,, and of course , the OP was conveniently without supporting links,,,, BS alert ! LOl

LowKey
11-14-2010, 11:49 AM
You don't want to be shooting an old buck goat in the head with a .22 either. Friend of my dad's tried that and the bullet hit the horn plate and ricocheted 90° into the shed door. Didn't do anything for the goat's temper either.

Justin Case
11-14-2010, 12:06 PM
You don't want to be shooting an old buck goat in the head with a .22 either. Friend of my dad's tried that and the bullet hit the horn plate and ricocheted 90° into the shed door. Didn't do anything for the goat's temper either.

LOL,, yeah, those Nasty things are tough !

NightShade
11-14-2010, 12:31 PM
When I was a kid we were slaughtering a pig for christmas dinner, me and my dad... AT POINT BLANK RANGE, the pig turned it's head just a tiny bit as the trigger was pulled...
The bullet ricocheted off the skull, the pig squealed like nothing you ever heard, and got pretty pissed... I had to tackle the pig, and my Dad slit it's throat with the buck knife that he still wear's on his hip everyday..

A bear????... please folks... don't take any advice from y2k.

canid
11-14-2010, 12:46 PM
don't take any advice from y2k.

come on now: poisoning a well that's already run dry is a bit like beating a dead horse...

wait... is that a mixed metaphore?

kyratshooter
11-14-2010, 03:18 PM
When I was a kid we were slaughtering a pig for christmas dinner, me and my dad... AT POINT BLANK RANGE, the pig turned it's head just a tiny bit as the trigger was pulled...
The bullet ricocheted off the skull, the pig squealed like nothing you ever heard, and got pretty pissed... I had to tackle the pig, and my Dad slit it's throat with the buck knife that he still wear's on his hip everyday..

A bear????... please folks... don't take any advice from y2k.

During the famous family pig killing of 1970 (we still talk about that one when everyone is home for holiday) we had a similar experience.

We had our operation set up so that the pigs were in the pickup bed with a tall cattle rack. We woud climb up the rack, lean over and shoot the hog closest to the tailgate. Two people would drop the tailgater and drag the hog out by the feet, a third stuck the hog and we dumped them on the ground to bleed out.

After a minute four guys would come over and grab a foot each and dump the hog into the scalding trouth. A quick roll and slosh and the hog was on the table getting scraped.

One hog got shot, got stuck and then got thrown in the scalding vat. Apparently we had not waited long enough between sticking and vatting for the critter to be thoroughly dead. He was only part dead and woke up when he hit that 160 degree bath.

Porky came out of that water, squelled and took off across the barnlot like ...you got it...a scalded hog! He made a couple of laps before he fully expired, and it got everyone's attention. Hogs have a thick skull and a lot of will power.

I never actually saw evidence that a .22 round had entered the brain of a hog on any shot we made over the course of decades. The .22 just knocked them out long enough for us to cut their throats.

crashdive123
11-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Every time I look at this thread it looks like it says Canadian MTV........

ClayPick
11-20-2010, 10:15 AM
It really is a crock about the mountie shooting bear in someone’s home. The only way that’s going to happen is if it’s dangerous to somebody or itself. Common practice for the RCMP would be to call the DNR and let them handle it which means they tranquilize the bear and relocate it. As far as the RCMP go .......... let’s just say I’d rather have to deal with the bear.:D