PDA

View Full Version : snare, horizontal, 7ft in the air

y2k
11-12-2010, 12:39 PM
catches deer real well. Know how?

DOGMAN
11-12-2010, 01:10 PM
have you ever done this yourself? post pictures to prove it!

y2k
11-12-2010, 01:12 PM
right, I should set myself up for a bust, right? :-) snaring deer is illegal. It's an emergency only sort of thing. What's your prob, bud? Just because you can't be bothered to post much useful info, you get mad at someone who can and does?

your_comforting_company
11-12-2010, 01:22 PM
It's only illegal if it's in the woods. I set snares in my yard all the time, and have posted many pictures for examples.
7ft in the air? no, I don't know how to do it. show me.

DOGMAN
11-12-2010, 01:34 PM
right, I should set myself up for a bust, right? :-) snaring deer is illegal. It's an emergency only sort of thing. What's your prob, bud? Just because you can't be bothered to post much useful info, you get mad at someone who can and does?

The problem I have with your posts is that you phrase things like your an expert, and it sounds like you've actually done these things and found them to work....However, there are lots of people on this forum who know alot about bears, elk, moose and trapping and hunting and realize how unlikely it is that you've ever done this stuff in the manner your talking about.

I find it misleading and perhaps even negligent on a Wilderness survival forum to say techniques work well- if you havent used them successfully yourself....

y2k
11-12-2010, 02:07 PM
I have no camera, nor any desire to spend time enlightening people who can't envision things for themselves. If you'd read other segments of this board, you'd read how it's done. 3 threads suspend the cable, a pc of angle iron serves to make the loop "one-way". An apple is suspended above the loop. The deer are accustomed to raising up on their hind legs to reach food. When they come down, the loop strangles them. It's a very tortorous death, since they are often able to hold themselves up for many minutes. It's a survival only sort of snare. However, it differs only in degree from any other snare. They dont deliver instant death, either, you know.

SARKY
11-12-2010, 02:42 PM
I have no camera, nor any desire to spend time enlightening people who can't envision things for themselves. If you'd read other segments of this board, you'd read how it's done. 3 threads suspend the cable, a pc of angle iron serves to make the loop "one-way". An apple is suspended above the loop. The deer are accustomed to raising up on their hind legs to reach food. When they come down, the loop strangles them. It's a very tortorous death, since they are often able to hold themselves up for many minutes. It's a survival only sort of snare. However, it differs only in degree from any other snare. They dont deliver instant death, either, you know.

And you know this works....HOW?????

y2k
11-12-2010, 02:45 PM
I've seen the deer so caught. Just because you never heard of something, it CAN'T BE, right? Like all the MD's who were SURE that ulcer's couldn't be the result of an infection?

Rick
11-12-2010, 02:46 PM
He's heard of it. He's challenging whether you have done it. Have you?

SARKY
11-12-2010, 03:20 PM
First off I have snared both deer and moose. We could do this leagally as it was on 15,000 acres of Navy owned SERE training facility land. And we were doing it for training purposes and to feed the 80 or so students we had in the class for the week. Since most of the students had only handled meat that came plastic wrapped on a foam plate, it was a learning experience for them. And yes the instructors got the back straps.

DOGMAN
11-12-2010, 03:31 PM
I have never snared a deer or moose Sarky...but, I do believe you have...it is an interesting topic, and I would like to hear more about it if you care to share

biddysere
11-12-2010, 04:27 PM
May work in the apple tree in the yard but not the woods. Have to get rid of all of the other apples except one for the snare, I guess

aflineman
11-12-2010, 04:51 PM
May work in the apple tree in the yard but not the woods. Have to get rid of all of the other apples except one for the snare, I guess

In my yard the deer don't eat the apples. The dogs do. They tend to get jealous of the deer eating their apples and chase the deer off. Funny as heck to watch a Golden Retriever jump to get apples from the tree. Even funnier when the Rat Terrier stands on the Retrievers head to reach some of the lower apples. I still need to get a photo of that. Seems I can never get the camera out fast enough to catch them.

oldtrap59
11-12-2010, 08:17 PM
I have never snared a deer intentionally but over 45 plus years 0f trapping I have had a few get tangled up in snares set for other critters.(coyotes mostly) Most of my snaring has been done in Iowa, where the state required all snares to be fit with a deer lock so that the snare wouldn't tighten down on the leg and the animal would be able to step out of it. Of coarse these snares were all set close to the ground. Having had these experiences over the years I have no doubt that deer and other large game can be snared but would use only regular ground sets minus the lock system and a very good staking system.

Oldtrap

huntermj
11-12-2010, 08:33 PM
ive never seen a 7 foot deer, please post pics

Rick
11-12-2010, 08:44 PM
I went out and built one of these contraptions. I had to hang outside until my wife got home. How is it you are supposed to catch deer if you are all trussed up and hanging in the air?

kyratshooter
11-13-2010, 12:50 PM
How many days did she leave you to cure before she brought you in Rick?

I can hear my dear departed wife right now;

"How did you get up there?" she would ask, "Long story huuh? How you plan on getting down?"

Times like these are the reason those cheap serated knives are so popular.

Wise Old Owl
11-13-2010, 01:05 PM
In future if you do not have a camera, try the PAINT program.

Start>ALL PROGRAMS>accessories>Paint.

play in the program so you feel confident in drawing.

then when you save do not use the default .bmp instead

FILE > SAVE AS . click on 24 bit and scroll to JPG. give it a name.

It saves automatically in documents.

then upload it to photobucket. And post here. if the pic is small enough (a little larger than avatars) then copy and paste right into the Advanced window.

ravenscar
11-13-2010, 01:11 PM
i get the theory, but not the placment. are you trying to snare its antlers?

Wise Old Owl
11-13-2010, 01:31 PM
i get the theory, but not the placment. are you trying to snare its antlers?

You are right I read the thread and I am having trouble visualizing it. So here is my guess...

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/snare1.jpg

I modified a spring trap picture, It might not need the trigger.

SARKY
11-14-2010, 12:13 AM
DOGMAN,
It's tough to snare either moose or deer. Mostly we would use Apache horse traps. Only ocassionaly would we use a wire snare. When we did we would wind 4 lengths of .040 stainless safety wire together and make our snare from that. The Apache horse trap is much different. First you need a frequented trail. Then you dig 9-12 inch diameter holes about 8 inches deep, at least a half dozen, more is better. The trap itself is 2 lengths of wood 14 inches long wired or tied together at the ends. The center is spread and a thin board about 6 inches in diameter is inserted to keep the the trap open. This is set over the hole and camoflaged. When the deer or moose steps on the board they either break it or push it thru. then the trap snaps around the deers hock. you want many of them so that with luck the deer will step into several. this will trip the deer when it tries to walk until it tires out the deer. Then you have to dispatch the deer. Using the safety wire snare can only be done in late winter after they've dropped their head gear in order for any relative sucess. We've also used baited steel leadered hooks for coyote. Still have my first coyote pelt.

Winter
11-14-2010, 02:07 AM
wow,,,,,,,,

hunter63
11-18-2010, 02:03 PM
Here my favorite "deer" trap.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/deermousetrap.jpg

Sorry couldn't resist.........................

Wise Old Owl
11-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Well better than my attempt....

Winter
11-21-2010, 06:34 PM
Hahahahahaah