PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible?

hippyman
11-11-2010, 01:51 PM
I know more than anything, it depends on location, but is it possible to survive in an area, without hunting, or fishing? I havent figured out why, but I have never really been into hunting, just living off of natures gifts(fruits, etc.) It probably has something to do with my past history, I'm not sure, but I was just wondering.

BENESSE
11-11-2010, 02:07 PM
I sincerely hope so...being a vegetarian and all.

Winnie
11-11-2010, 02:34 PM
I think the only way you could manage would be to live a nomadic lifestyle, moving from place to place as different things come into season. That's if you know where to look in the first place!

ClovisMan
11-11-2010, 02:40 PM
As long as you can find a significant source of protein, I do not see why not. Just don't expect to able to find soy burgers in the wild.

BENESSE
11-11-2010, 02:40 PM
...or if you could live somewhere and plant stuff which you could preserve for the winter.
There are vegetarian cultures though that seem to make it somehow.

grrlscout
11-11-2010, 03:32 PM
I'm thinking dried legumes would be essential.

SARKY
11-11-2010, 03:34 PM
The chances of doing so by just living off the land are pretty low. Animal protien and fat (especially in colder climes) are necessary. Also trying to balance your diet will be tough enough even with meat on the menu.

Sourdough
11-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Not going to happen here, in Alaska eight months of the year. Most likely could be done May 25'th through Sept. 25'th.

BENESSE
11-11-2010, 03:49 PM
I'm thinking dried legumes would be essential.

Absolutely.
Just had black bean soup--1/2cup=7g of protein

BENESSE
11-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Large numbers of people in Pakistan and Bangladesh are vegetarian. Being a healthy vegetarian in Asia has been possible for thousands of years owing to its vast diversity of vegetables, fruits, seeds, spices and natural sweeteners. Needless to say obesity is not an issue.

Rick
11-11-2010, 04:08 PM
As others have pointed out, not just location but season. If you live in the southern U.S. then your changes would be pretty good.

Why not forage over to our Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself?

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7813

SARKY
11-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Miss B,
How the heck are you? Most of the people you speak of are farming, and not surviving by foraging. There is a big difference.

Sourdough
11-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Large numbers of people in Pakistan and Bangladesh are vegetarian. Being a healthy vegetarian in Asia has been possible for thousands of years owing to its vast diversity of vegetables, fruits, seeds, spices and natural sweeteners. Needless to say obesity is not an issue.

They pick their food from street vender, they don't pick it off a bush. Most also eat fish.

BENESSE
11-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Miss B,
How the heck are you? Most of the people you speak of are farming, and not surviving by foraging. There is a big difference.

I'm just peachy, Sarky. Thanks for axing. :kiss:
btw...see post #5. I agree w/you. There IS a big difference.

BENESSE
11-11-2010, 05:48 PM
Also, not being vegan allows for more of a variety.
I happen to eat most sea food.

oldtrap59
11-11-2010, 05:52 PM
Being a meat eater here I probably am not the person to comment on this subject but I have to say that I agree with a couple of the posts here. I don't think it was would be easy to make it without meat anywhere if you didn't grow a large portion of your veggies in a controled situation.(garden) As I have collected alot of fruits, nuts, mushrooms and other eatables over the years I know you can come up with a portion of your menu from the wild but without meat I think it would be a tough go, no matter where you are.

Oldtrap

hippyman
11-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Being a meat eater here I probably am not the person to comment on this subject but I have to say that I agree with a couple of the posts here. I don't think it was would be easy to make it without meat anywhere if you didn't grow a large portion of your veggies in a controled situation.(garden) As I have collected alot of fruits, nuts, mushrooms and other eatables over the years I know you can come up with a portion of your menu from the wild but without meat I think it would be a tough go, no matter where you are.

Oldtrap

OK, I think my post mighta confused ya'll a little. I am a big meat eater, I just dont have any experience hunting/trapping/fishing. Thats where my problem would be. If I was gonna be living for an extended time, I would plan to start trapping my food, I was just talking like in an emergency situation tho. Sorry for the confusion.

crashdive123
11-11-2010, 06:13 PM
OK, I think my post mighta confused ya'll a little. I am a big meat eater, I just dont have any experience hunting/trapping/fishing. Thats where my problem would be. If I was gonna be living for an extended time, I would plan to start trapping my food, I was just talking like in an emergency situation tho. Sorry for the confusion.

Your problem may be bigger than hunting/trapping/fishing. What experience do you have foraging?

BENESSE
11-11-2010, 06:32 PM
Your problem may be bigger than hunting/trapping/fishing. What experience do you have foraging?

Or introductions, for that matter.

Sourdough
11-11-2010, 06:41 PM
No worries, the government has it covered, you will be fine.

BornthatWay
11-11-2010, 11:18 PM
Hey do not takes these guys to heart they all are just having a little fun at you. The best way to learn to hunt and fish is find someone locally who enjoys huntung and or fishing and ask if they would teach you the basics. Be sure you hook up with someone who respects wildlife and does not hunt for just the thrill but uses the animal after killing it.

hippyman
11-12-2010, 12:08 AM
Hey do not takes these guys to heart they all are just having a little fun at you. The best way to learn to hunt and fish is find someone locally who enjoys huntung and or fishing and ask if they would teach you the basics. Be sure you hook up with someone who respects wildlife and does not hunt for just the thrill but uses the animal after killing it.

That is actually the main reason I always stayed away from the hunting crowd. I live in hicksville USA, lol, so I probably have alot of guys like that around me. Personally, I like the native style of hunting, using every part of the animal.

your_comforting_company
11-12-2010, 07:36 AM
Colby, I use as much of an animal as I can. I make clothes from tanned deer skins, tools from the bones, etc. Haven't put a lot of effort into using fish bones for anything, but I'm sure there are just as many uses for their spare parts.
Looking at it from the perspective of necessity, I concur with the others. Find a respectful guide who can take you and teach you the basics. Fishing will go a long way in filling a belly with minimal resources and calorie expenditure.
Foraging will take quite a long time to learn. The indigenous peoples of the lower Chattahoochee Valley, were in large part nomadic, though their trecks were not very far.
This is something I've been thinking about lately. There is a reason they were nomadic, and even though my BOL might seem perfect during the summer, will it provide the same resources in winter? The people moved around depending on the time of year AND available resources. They would bury caches of pottery, flint, grinding stones, tools...

Start with fish. Traps for fish are easy to build and will lay out a foundation for larger scale traps for animals. Pole and line are quite effective, and fish are rich in protein, Omega 3's, and amino acids.

It is possible to sustain oneself with veggies alone, but being a meat eater, I think I would get tired of not having some ham-hock in my greens. Foraging is a skill that will take MANY years. I've been learning for quite a while now, and I still doubt I could find enough food all year long and confidently identify them AND remember how to prepare them properly.

y2k
11-12-2010, 02:09 PM
It's 2010. All you have to remember, ID and prep wise, is to have your info on microfiche, and have your magnifying glass so you can read up on what's what. Then you can spend your time doing more useful things than remembering this or that (which aint likely to matter, anyway).