PDA

View Full Version : Chess Pie??

Winnie
11-09-2010, 08:28 AM
Kyr has me intrigued so I googled Chess pie. There are so many variations on the recipe, can I have your favourites?

your_comforting_company
11-09-2010, 01:23 PM
I googled it too and I still aint sure what it is. The Mrs. says it looks like flavored custard pie. If that's the case, we just add whatever sweet stuff we fancy and eat it up! maple sugar, pecans.. just about anything!

Rick
11-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Chess Pie

2 c. sugar
2 tbsp. flour, heaping
1 tbsp. cornmeal, heaping
1/2 c. melted butter
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 c. buttermilk
2 tsp. vanilla
1 (9-10 inch) unbaked pie shell

Mix sugar, flour and cornmeal. Stir in butter, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla; mix well. Pour into pie shell. Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 degrees and bake 30 minutes longer. Cover pie with foil if necessary to prevent from burning.

This is not my step mom's recipe. Well it is but I have to use the pie shell. She makes melt in your mouth pie crust and I can make a good pie crust too. BUT, things get really ugly when I try to make an odd shaped pie crust fit a round pan.

oldtrap59
11-10-2010, 08:47 PM
Very similiar to what we know in this house as buttermilk pie.

Oldtrap

oldsoldier
11-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Chess Pie

2 c. sugar
2 tbsp. flour, heaping
1 tbsp. cornmeal, heaping
1/2 c. melted butter
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 c. buttermilk
2 tsp. vanilla
1 (9-10 inch) unbaked pie shell

Mix sugar, flour and cornmeal. Stir in butter, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla; mix well. Pour into pie shell. Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 degrees and bake 30 minutes longer. Cover pie with foil if necessary to prevent from burning.

This is not my step mom's recipe. Well it is but I have to use the pie shell. She makes melt in your mouth pie crust and I can make a good pie crust too. BUT, things get really ugly when I try to make an odd shaped pie crust fit a round pan.

You can also add sutff like chocolate as well for a little different flavor. Change the crust and use a graham cracker crust recepie or use crushed chocolate chip cookies instead of graham crackers for a richer taste as well

LowKey
11-21-2010, 10:43 PM
We make something similar this time of year but it's called Indian Pudding.
The recipe is out of a really old Treadway Inn cookbook

1qt milk
5 tablespoons yellow corn meal
2tbs butter
1/2 cup brown sugar (or white sugar)
1/2 cup dark molasses
1tsp salt
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp mace (who has mace in their SPICE cabinet these days?)
2 eggs well beaten
1 cup Light cream

Put milk in double boiler top and bring to slow boil on direct heat.
Slowly add cornmeal, stirring well.
Put pot over boiling water and cook 20 minutes.
Add Butter, sugar, and molasses.
Remove from heat and add salt and spices.
Blend in the 2 beaten eggs.
Pour into a buttered baking dish and bake uncovered @ 300° for 2-3 hours.
Stir occasionally during the first hour. After an hour, carefully pour the cream over the top and finish baking without stirring. (be careful of your baking dish if the cream is very cold. You may want to pull it from the fridge a bit before adding it to the hot dish.)

Serve hot with ice cream.

Note, the longer you cook this, the darker and chewier it will get. The bigger the mess it will make of your baking dish too.

kyratshooter
11-22-2010, 01:39 AM
4 eggs
1/4 pound butter
1cp white sugar
1cup brown sugar
1tbs vinillia
1/2 teaspoon vinegar
1/4cup buttermilk or evaporated milk
1 tblspn cornmeal

melt the sugar, butter, vinigar, vinillia, cornmeal and milk in a sauce pan. Let cool slightly and add the eggs and blend thoroughly. Pour into pieshell.

Preheat oven at 450. Put pies in oven and reduce heat immidiately to 350. Cook for 45 minutes. The pies will not be firm when removed from the oven. they will firm up as they cool. Let pies cool before cutting.

The chess pie will have a dark crust formed from the cornmeal floating to the surface and browning. The crust may crack when cool, that is normal.

Nothing really different from Ricks except for the vinegar. That gives it a slight tweak.

My mom used to tell me about making these pies during WW2 with molasses instead of the sugar. Sugar was rationed, molasses was not. This pie was a favorite in the south because they always had plenty of molasses, butter and eggs on the farm if not much else.

Machinegunmomma
12-11-2010, 04:32 PM
ButterMilk Pie

ButterMilk Pie : for each pie Blend
2 Eggs
2 Tablespoons of Butter (Softened)
2 Tablespoons Self-Rise Flour
1/2 Cup Butter-Milk
1 Cup Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1/4 teaspoon of salt

Blend well and pour into unbaked pie crust.
Bake at 325 to 350 for 35 to 40 minutes

Note: all ovens are different if you bake at 350 keep an Eye on your pie! if it starts too brown too early turn the Temp down a bit.

This is an old Scott/Simpson Family Tradition, but we don't mind sharing it! John L Scott 2010

Rick
12-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Hey! You're back. Where ya been?

Machinegunmomma
12-12-2010, 03:56 AM
Yep I'm back! Thanks for noticing