PDA

View Full Version : first time out with the rifle

oldtrap59
11-07-2010, 09:22 PM
Spent a couple hours out this evening looking to see a legal buck. Saw a group of does and was hoping that a buck might come in too but here came the hogs up the logging road and pretty much all bets were off for this trip. The hogs ran the does off and it ended up I didn't get a shot at anything. Oh well. Maybe in the morning.

Oldtrap

crashdive123
11-08-2010, 08:22 AM
Good luck.

hunter63
11-08-2010, 12:28 PM
I take my rifles, shotguns, bows, etc for walks pretty regular,............they like it.

As a matter of fact, I rarely leave the house at O-dark thirty, with out some implement of destruction in my hand.

Good luck....

East Texas, huh, how far from the La border?
Heading down that way around Christmas............

EdD270
11-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Since the hogs already spoiled your hunt, go ahead and hammer some of them if your lease will allow it. The small ones are good eating and most ranchers want to get rid of all they can. My nephew's two deer leases in Texas allow them to kill all the hogs they see, no extra charge.

kyratshooter
11-08-2010, 06:03 PM
My area of KY has deer at nuscense levels and the laws show it.

You can take 5 deer on the regular tag but only one can be a buck.

You can have unlimited extra tags but only for does.

As a result, we are raising some fine antlered deer.

Where I came from in TN it was almost impossible to find more than a forked buck.

oldtrap59
11-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Went out again this morning. Saw a couple of does again and a small 4 point buck. Not enough antler to be legal. So I passed. Took an old gray haired doe during bow season so not in a big hurry right now.

As far as hogs go I shoot hogs anytime I want to on this land. It isn't a lease so no problems with any special rules. Land is owned by my Sil. Would have shot some pork lastnight but they got into some brush before I decided the deer were going the other way. I have taken several hogs this year off this land. Enough to keep a small freezer full and give alot to some local families.

Also have part of a lease close to the river cabin on the Sabin but was kind of crowded this weekend so hunted the small place which I many times have all to myself.

Hunter. I'm only about 50 miles SW of Shreveport. Just a short drive to the La. border from here. Btw I'll be going north to Iowa over Christmas. Might meet ya on the road.

Oldtrap

hunter63
11-08-2010, 06:51 PM
.......Hunter. I'm only about 50 miles SW of Shreveport. Just a short drive to the La. border from here. Btw I'll be going north to Iowa over Christmas. Might meet ya on the road.

Oldtrap

Yeah I hear ya, we'll be hunting down east of Mansfield, but not sure when we are comming back north.
2 years ago we went down right after Christmas, didn't come back north till middle of March........

Drive safe!