PDA

View Full Version : New, old, Colman stove, Estate sale find.

hunter63
11-07-2010, 08:58 PM
So, I couldn't stand the bickering on a Colman stove, stand and oven, at our "Estate sale", so I bought it my self for $6 bucks.

It's a Model 413E with a set of Model 10 "High Stand" legs.
And an oven, (missing glass)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/DSCF0466.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/DSCF0465.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/DSCF0464.jpg

Doing a little research seems this one may have been converted to propane from white gas?
I guess I didn't know that worked? Y'all heard of this?

Anyway made between 1954 and 1963+?

Here's Colman's site: http://www.coleman.com/coleman/parts/ProductImage2.asp?product_id=413E

Looking at the diagram shows gas generator, not propane.

Don't know when it was used last, at least 22 years, but there was gas in the cylinder, and after taking the burners apart, cleaning, fired right up.

So down the slope we go, LOL!

scottmphoto
11-07-2010, 09:05 PM
I've got a Coleman stove just like that one that has the propane adapter. It works great. The stove is a very simple design. My parents had it before they had me...40 years ago. We've never had a problem out of it.

Rick
11-07-2010, 09:09 PM
They haggled on $6 bucks, huh? Their loss, your gain. You can't even find that style of stand anymore. That one is pretty solid. I unknowing acquired one a couple of months ago when I answered a Craig's List add for a stove.

I love the utensil rack on that model stove. I wish they all had one.

You did okay for $6. Will you take $7?

crashdive123
11-08-2010, 08:29 AM
Great score! Did you pick up the camp oven too or have you had it? I was wondering how they worked.

Rick
11-08-2010, 10:55 AM
They work swell. Mine has three rack settings on the inside and I learned you pretty much have to be on the top setting or you can scorch food. I've baked rolls and some deserts in mine. I think that's all I've done.

hunter63
11-08-2010, 12:09 PM
The oven was kinda ratty, so it was included in the sale, starting at $2 bucks, so,
Stove and stand $5 bucks (1/2 of $10 bucks marked) $1 dollar (1/2 of $2 bucks marked).

I'm thinking that there is supposed to be a "window" as there are tabs for it on the inside.
I was thinking that a piece of metal would work as well, just not being able to see it.

Stand doesn't seem to fit any slots or whatever on the stove, but is labeled as a "Universal High Stand' Model 10.

I was surprised that the tank still had propane in it, (Note, long term fuel storage, Propane).

Rick, thanks for your offer, but I think I'll pass at this point, gonna just play with it and maybe try to find some way to use the oven......

I notice the newer ones for sale all seem to have thermometer built it for "heat control"? Watch the gauge and adjust the burner, manually.

I generally don't collect stoves, (yet), but the idea of getting any old tool, appliance, furniture,even methods, etc, back in operation, is a big part of the fun.

I just consider them "old timey apps".

The other part was seeing people haggling over ANY price, no matter how low, just for the sake of haggling.

As a lot of stuff was priced to "get it out of the driveway", then Sat being 1/2price of marked........I went around and doubled prices on some stuff, that was waaaay to low, so I could take off 1/2, LOL

In this case, the guy was being a complete Putz....haggling technique, be enough of a PITA that people just give it to them, to get rid of them.

This time I won....I think...slippery slope and stuff.

Rick
11-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Coleman made a sink that sinks down in the stand. The stoves just sit on top. I don't think they are very sturdy on their own although they are made of sturdy material. I've taken mine a couple of times but use a small board on top to set the stove on. After a couple of times I just went back to the picnic table and leave the stand at home. It's just as easy.

The oven has to be a really old one. I've not seen one with that big of a hole in the door. If I were to guess I'd say it was tempered glass so you could see your food. The later ovens were solid doors with a temp guage in them. You have to peek through the slats to see what your food it doing. I'll bet that thing will clean up really well. If it's as old as I think it is then it's probably good metal or at least heavier aluminum than the later ones.

If it were mine I'd probably steel brush everything, paint the outside with high temp paint and leave the inside bare metal. If I couldn't find some tempered glass to fit that hole I'd probably use metal but I'll bet most glass shops can come up with tempered glass cut to size.

crashdive123
11-08-2010, 01:30 PM
In this case, the guy was being a complete Putz....haggling technique, be enough of a PITA that people just give it to them, to get rid of them.

This time I won....I think...slippery slope and stuff.

Hehehehe - A few years ago we had a carport sale (we don't have a garage). We were selling a glass coffee table (wrought iron with 1-1/4" thick top) and two matching chairs that we had just recovered. New, the table was $400 (it was a gift many years earlier for helping a friend with an estate sale). We just ran out of room for it. One PITA was a real butt about the $20 price we had on it. Finally I told him he couldn't have it, no matter what price he offered. He came back later in the afternoon and it was still there. He said - I want it, here's $20. Nope, I said - not for sale to you. He ended up offering $100. A elderly neighbor from down the street was looking at it - I asked her if she was interested. She said yes, but she didn't have $20. I told her not to worry, it was a gift - loaded it in my truck and set it and the two chairs up at her house.

Sometimes yard sales aren't always about the money.

hunter63
11-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Hehehehe - A few years ago we had a carport sale (we don't have a garage). We were selling a glass coffee table (wrought iron with 1-1/4" thick top) and two matching chairs that we had just recovered. New, the table was $400 (it was a gift many years earlier for helping a friend with an estate sale). We just ran out of room for it. One PITA was a real butt about the $20 price we had on it. Finally I told him he couldn't have it, no matter what price he offered. He came back later in the afternoon and it was still there. He said - I want it, here's $20. Nope, I said - not for sale to you. He ended up offering $100. A elderly neighbor from down the street was looking at it - I asked her if she was interested. She said yes, but she didn't have $20. I told her not to worry, it was a gift - loaded it in my truck and set it and the two chairs up at her house.

Sometimes yard sales aren't always about the money.

I hear ya, LOL, I totally agree.
At the end of the day, we had an older couple stop and bought the bed, Queen size pedestal w/6 drawers, head board...Very good condition.

I don't know what they paid, was a good low price.
Said it was for an apartment for their Granddaughter, returning from a tour in Iraq.
They were furnishing it for her....So the women loaded them up with all sorta of stuff, kitchen stuff beading cloths etc, free.

I don't think any of the women even thought that maybe they weren't really telling the truth, scam of sorts....They believed them, and got the warm fuzzies for doing it.

I kept my mouth shut, didn't want to carry the stuff back inside the house, didn't really care one way or another....Just wanted it gone!

Now the camp stove, that was another story...............LOL.

EdD270
11-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Yes, your stove was originally made to run on white gas. It's been converted to propane by adding a new generator and valve and removing the white gas fuel tank and gas generator.
To convert it back, remove propane stuff and put on the fuel tank and a gas generator. These should be available at the Coleman site, or check around online. Try: eBay obviously, also www.coleman.com, www.spiritburner.com, and www.oldtownyucca.com for starters. There are many sites for old stove parts for collector who rebuild old stoves in their collections. Don't ask how I know.

hunter63
11-08-2010, 06:45 PM
ED
Thanks for the sites, but I'm guessing as there wasn't a tank and other parts, this one will remain in the condition that it's in. (haven't gotten bit, that bad yet).

tipacanoe
11-08-2010, 07:32 PM
You use to be able to buy the propane adapter for the stoves at Wally world, for $15. I got a stove very close to yours w/o the utensil rack for $10, had both types of generators, and from the condition of the stove, I don't think anything was ever cooked on. The propane adapter works well on a three burner stove as well.