PDA

View Full Version : A novel idea in garlic braiding

canid
11-04-2010, 10:01 PM
As some of you know; I grow onions and garlic whenever I have the chance and I much enjoy making garlic braids. During the long wait till my next harvest of garlic I had an idea. With only a quick googling I haven't seen it done yet. I would like to make a woven garlic stalk basket. The basket might store my cured onions ready for kitchen use.

I haven't done this yet, so I have nothing to show, but I'm sure you can picture it in one configuration or another. While it wouldn't be the most practical arrangement in the world, I think it would look nice and happy in the kitchen.

I wonder if any of you have done something similar, or might like to try it in the future as well.

klickitat
11-04-2010, 10:05 PM
I want to see something like that. We have a huge garlic festival here every year and I have never seen anything like that. Great idea.

canid
11-04-2010, 10:10 PM
well if somebody wants to try it, please post some pictures, comments, etc. in here. I'll be posting my results when the chance arrives.

your_comforting_company
11-05-2010, 09:54 AM
I would love to try it. The wild alliums here are out of season now, and since they are plentiful (at least in my yard) we don't grow them in the garden. I'm sure someone will beat me to it, but I'd love to give it a go next season.
I found the fibers to be a bit delicate in the wild versions of them so I didn't make cordage from them successfully, but rhetting could be the answer to that..
I like the idea!

canid
11-05-2010, 08:19 PM
with some soft stalked garlics i've found that braiding them without snapping is difficult unless you let them wilt for a couple days. you might try that.

depending on the weave, there might actually be less bending required than with braiding, so that might minimize the trouble also.

your_comforting_company
11-05-2010, 10:46 PM
nice round robust baskets...

Winnie
11-06-2010, 06:17 AM
I'll certainly give this a go too. I'm sure one of you will have garlic before my next crop in august. So I await results!