PDA

View Full Version : Fresh bacon deer Burgers are in the freezer.

Swamprat1958
11-03-2010, 08:29 PM
I killed a doe Sunday afternoon, then skinned and de-boned all the meat. I put it in a big garbage bag on ice until Monday evening when I trimmed all the fat, gristle membrane and sinew from it. Tuesday evening I ground all the deer meat (except the backstraps and tenderloins) along with 10 pounds of bacon. After blending all the ground meat together we made patties for burgers and placed them in the freezer. Tonight we vacuum packed all the burger patties and put them in the freezer. The patties averaged 1/2 pound each and it worked to 48 burger patties. My kids can't wait until I get back in town Friday so we can grill the burgers. There is not much better than a bacon deer burger!

Pal334
11-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Now that could make a man drool. Tough way to teach the kids patience though, making them wait until you get back home :)

Rick
11-03-2010, 10:13 PM
I don't understand. I ran down to the freezer after reading this and there's no deer meat in it. I came back and reread it thinking I'd missed something then went down and looked again. There's nothing there. Are you sure you put it in the right freezer?

crashdive123
11-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Remember....

The Quality Control Department is your friend.

Winnie
11-04-2010, 10:31 AM
I don't understand. I ran down to the freezer after reading this and there's no deer meat in it. I came back and reread it thinking I'd missed something then went down and looked again. There's nothing there. Are you sure you put it in the right freezer?

I think we have to go to Swamprats house, Rick. He has invited his family, and we're all family. right?

hunter63
11-04-2010, 10:46 AM
SW, that sounds good!
We use pork fat, sometimes beef tallow, mixed in, but I thinking there would be more flavor from the bacon.
Gonna try it.
Do y'all soak the meat in water or milk.......SIL's method, (Shreveport area)?

kyratshooter
11-04-2010, 11:00 AM
We do not need to go to SwampRat's yet.

We need to get him to save some of that burger until around Feburary and go see him. By that time we will all be frozen in and dying of hypothermia. LA would be around 40 degrees for a low and the humidity would be low enough for us to survive.

grrlscout
11-04-2010, 11:32 AM
mmmm bacon is good for me!

Old GI
11-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Oh thanks; now I have to drool until lunch.

My Grandfather used to make Pike Burgers much the same way. Grinding in pike, some beef and bacon fat. I have to stop now.:sad:

Swamprat1958
11-04-2010, 07:37 PM

Yep, it is in the "right" freezer, come on down to Louisiana Saturday night and enjoy it with us!

Swamprat1958
11-04-2010, 07:38 PM
SW, that sounds good!
We use pork fat, sometimes beef tallow, mixed in, but I thinking there would be more flavor from the bacon.
Gonna try it.
Do y'all soak the meat in water or milk.......SIL's method, (Shreveport area)?

Nope, in my opinion that ruins the taste of good venison.

hunter63
11-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Nope, in my opinion that ruins the taste of good venison.

Well, I didn't agree with it either, but then again, SIL isn't much of a Cajun unless the have it at Mickey D's.

Actually be heading down your way around Christmas......for a while...?