PDA

View Full Version : Any DANGER to cooking "White Beans" for long, long time.....?

Sourdough
10-31-2010, 07:25 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but I have been cooking beans 24/7 for three weeks. I am trying to make a serious dent in my survival food cache. So for the last three weeks I have been living on sardines & a Bean Glop. When I finally froze the last two quarts of bean glop, I found a white power on the bottom of the pan. And I am thinking suspicious white power, white beans....? What bean do they use to make that deadly poison......? Please tell me it is not white beans, please......please.

nell67
10-31-2010, 07:35 PM
Nahhh,you are safe SD,as long as you weren't cooking castor beans,also known as mole beans,since they seem to repel the lil' buggers.

kyratshooter
10-31-2010, 07:37 PM
You're gonna die SD!!!:triage:

Are you talking about botulism?

That is an anerobic poison that forms in canned food in the absence of O2. Cooking at above 160 degrees distroys it. But you have not got it anyway, due to the conditions not being right.

I think what you have is scorched bean drippings.:chef:

I do not cook white beans. One of the foods I love but have been forced to move away from as age set in. They give me heartburn that mimics my heart attack and scares me crapless. Oddly, other beans do not do that to me.

Pal334
10-31-2010, 07:38 PM
Nope, that is normal when you overcook them. Even over cooked they make a good "glop" :)

Rick
10-31-2010, 07:39 PM
It's sounds to me like there is much more danger to the open door outhouse than to you. The good news is you won't blow the door off of it.

welderguy
10-31-2010, 07:46 PM
I read thru a couple books and also did a quick web search and everything I read only warns of raw or undercooked beans. The white residue seems to be a harmless byproduct that beans leave behind if overcooked

Rick
10-31-2010, 07:48 PM
Harmless?! Wouldn't that depend on whether you are the sniffer or the sniffee?

Sourdough
10-31-2010, 07:48 PM
Anthrax was my scare......??? But not that the lovely Nell said castor, now i remember. Log ago I had a crazy neighbor, who I turned into the FBI.

Sourdough
10-31-2010, 07:59 PM
Thanks friends, I really was a but un-nerved. But I just started another batch of "Glop".

How to make Glop: brown 1 1/2 cups of chopped garlic, add four (One Pound) cans of "Bush's" Baked beans, add one 19 oz. can of "Nalley's original Chili, add two cups of "La' Costena" pickeled Jalapeno's, and one cup of the juice from the jalapeno jar, cook at simmer (250 to 300 degrees) on wood stove, eat when hungry, add water befor going to bed, add more contents as there becomes room. Yummy in the tummy for berakfast lunch and dinner, and inbetween.

kyratshooter
11-01-2010, 05:05 PM
I am not allowed to eat that in KY. I am pretty sure it is a criminal offense to be caught with that on your stove.

Our population density is 88 people per square mile and you must be down to .5 people per square mile to even get a permit to cook that concoction!

BENESSE
11-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Actually SD, that sounds pretty good now that you list the ingredients.
The name "Glop" is short changing the recipe--sounded like baby food. But if you've got garlic, beans and pickled jalapenos in there you can't go wrong. I'd probably throw in kidney beans and black eyed peas too, just for texture.
And of course, green olives.

oldtrap59
11-02-2010, 12:33 AM
Rick and Ky. You guys have broke me into a teary eyed laugh.:>)))))))))))

SD. That sounds pretty good but might want a few more jalapenos. Never to many jalapenos.

Oldtrap

Sourdough
11-02-2010, 03:28 AM
Rick and Ky. You guys have broke me into a teary eyed laugh.:>)))))))))))

SD. That sounds pretty good but might want a few more jalapenos. Never to many jalapenos.

Oldtrap

Yes, The pot was getting down when I just got up to put wood in the stove, so I added anothe cup of jalapenos, a can of chili, another can of baked beans. and two cups of water.

kyratshooter
11-02-2010, 10:48 AM
I don't care if you are in alaska, the EPA has rules against that kind of toxic waste being produced without porper controls and safty measures in place.

A spill could change the caribou migration routes or create deformities in the salmon population.

And it is inevitable that you will blow up your shack! We will be able to see the blue flame all the way to KY and the toxic cloud will sweep east over Canada causing an internationl incident of great impact! :oops:

All it will take is firing up a Coleman lantern and then passing gas and Homeland Security is going to be all over you!

"Why is there no Christmas this year granpa?"
"Well Honey a guy named sourdough was making bean clop in Alaska and he blew up Santa Claus.....:santa:

And to think that my friends think I am crazy for buying generic Spam!!!

Swamprat1958
11-02-2010, 03:47 PM
It's sounds to me like there is much more danger to the open door outhouse than to you. The good news is you won't blow the door off of it.

I wouldn't bet on that. Do you smoke Sourdough?

Sourdough
11-02-2010, 03:57 PM
I wouldn't bet on that. Do you smoke Sourdough?

No, don't smoke, but the wood stove burns 24/7/300 days a year.

Wise Old Owl
11-02-2010, 09:13 PM
No, don't smoke, but the wood stove burns 24/7/300 days a year.

and for 65 days it rests? Guess you ran out of dough for bread. Sorry I was looking at the math..... :dodge:

Sourdough
11-02-2010, 09:37 PM
and for 65 days it rests? Guess you ran out of dough for bread. Sorry I was looking at the math..... :dodge:

Two months of summer: May 20'th till July 25'th Don't need heat unless it rains alot for days.