PDA

View Full Version : Old timey cooking -Whatsit ?

hunter63
10-30-2010, 08:27 PM
Still cleaning MIL house, found a recipe for "Rosin Kooked Potatoes"

I'm still looking for the "Rosin Kookin Kit", that this came with, printed by;
Atlanta Stove Works. (closed in 1987)

Any reference to cooking with rosin?

Anyway, here the recipe:
Rosin Kooked Potatoes

Place kettle over the fire or directly on the coals and allow the rosin to melt.
When rosin has completely melted, drop clean Irish potatoes into melted rosin and continue to cook until the potatoes rise to the surface.
Allow the potatoes to cook five or ten minutes longer before removing them.
Then wrap the potatoes in individual pieces of wax paper, foil, or kraft paper...twisting the ends securely.

To serve...simply split the wrapped potato and drop in a pad of butter.

Please note.......
* Melt rosin slowly, then avoid vigorous boiling of the rosin while cooking.
* Melted rosin, like cooking grease will burn. Avoid contact with any open flame.
* Wet or real cold potatoes might cause the melted rosin to splatter.
* The Rosin Kookin Kit may be used inside only under hood with exhaust fan.

Atlanta Stove Works, Inc
Atlanta Georgia

Anyway a search on the recipe turned up this:
http://bigspud.com/files/prosin.htm

Thought it was intresting....................

crashdive123
10-30-2010, 08:43 PM
So - the recipe is using pine resin as the cooking medium I guess?

crashdive123
10-30-2010, 08:45 PM
H63 - I found this. http://www.rosin-factory.com/Rosin_Baked_Potato.html

hunter63
10-30-2010, 08:46 PM
So - the recipe is using pine resin as the cooking medium I guess?

I guess? thats why I'm asking..........?
So maybe use rosin instead of cooking oil?, Maybe in the bush?

hunter63
10-30-2010, 08:54 PM
I guess you found the site as i was typing, I gotta tell you this is a new one on me..
Now to find the "Kookin Kit"

crashdive123
10-30-2010, 08:55 PM
Last time I was out, I harvested about a half pound for some projects I want to try. The recipe calls for 25 pounds of it!

hunter63
10-30-2010, 08:57 PM
Last time I was out, I harvested about a half pound for some projects I want to try. The recipe calls for 25 pounds of it!

So you just need 24-1/2 more pound of it.....And it can be used repeatedly!

kyratshooter
10-30-2010, 10:18 PM
There used to be a restarant in our area that served rosin cooked potatoes. They were not all that good as far as my taste buds were concerned. I would just as soon have them wrapped in foil and buried in the coals.

gryffynklm
10-30-2010, 10:54 PM
cracker Barrel used to serve potatoes cooked in pine pitch. I just looked at their menu and couldn't find it. I had one way back when. It was good. Its hard to say that you could taste the pine, very faint if at all. Seems like a lot of bother to cook a potato.

hunter63
10-30-2010, 11:17 PM
cracker Barrel used to serve potatoes cooked in pine pitch. I just looked at their menu and couldn't find it. I had one way back when. It was good. Its hard to say that you could taste the pine, very faint if at all. Seems like a lot of bother to cook a potato.

I agree, and KS, I like taters just thrown into the coals, no foil (mountain-men didn't have foil),..... of course anything tastes good, at midnight, when it's getting cold and damp, and a jug or two has been passed around.............maybe all the charred skins sorta soak up the alcohol...don't know for sure.

I was just wondering....and still looking for the "Kit"

Winnie
10-31-2010, 04:35 PM
Wow, this is something I've not heard of.

Anyway, Had a look on youtube and....... I FOUND IT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpfHhK5sWrg

kyratshooter
10-31-2010, 04:39 PM
I agree, and KS, I like taters just thrown into the coals, no foil (mountain-men didn't have foil),..... of course anything tastes good, at midnight, when it's getting cold and damp, and a jug or two has been passed around.............maybe all the charred skins sorta soak up the alcohol...don't know for sure.

I was just wondering....and still looking for the "Kit"

Chances are, mountain men did not have taters either! They were lucky if they had some salt to sprinkle on their roasted beaver tail a week after they left 'rondy.