PDA

View Full Version : Fighting load carrier vest (FLC)

rwc1969
10-29-2010, 11:59 PM
This might just be my new everyday pack, but it's a vest. LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJYuEnfSBjM

This is just a quickie review, not like my breakdown of the assault pack. This is also made by SDS and is MOLLE head to toe. It can be used in conjuction with the assault pack or main ruck as well.

Mine is the rifleman set which came with 9 pouches-

2 grenande pouches which are big enough to store a headlamp, small bag of munchies/ trail mix, plastic bags, etc. They measure roughly 2.5X3X3" or so. Snap closure.

3-2 mag pouches which are great for flashlight, knife, spoon, fork, firesteel, etc. They measure about 2X3X6". They expand/ stretch and have velcro closures.

2-3 mag pouches which are similar to the 2 mag pouches, but a bit narrower, less expandable, and more open at the top. Good for GPS, garden trowel, hand tools, rifle cleaning kit, 16 oz. bottle of water, etc. Snap closure.

2 canteen/ multi-purpose pouches which are the bees' knees. They carry 1 quart GI canteen or 1 litre pop bottle, gatorade, etc. and have 2 side pouches which are big enough for a standard wallet or king size pack of smokes and a lighter, keys, pocketknife, watch, etc. 1" buckle closure with drawstrings on canteen and velcro closures on side pouches.

It also comes with 2 plastic push button C clips, roughly 2", which can be used to attach stuff, I haven't found a use for them yet.

The optional waist pack can be attached to the webbing on the lower back of the vest for another 500 CI or so.

In the vid I just have the 2 canteen pouches, a 3 mag pouch and a grenade pouch. The large amounts of webbing also serve as a place to hold your glasses if needed.

At first I thought I'd look or feel goofy in this, but I don't feel goofy at all. LOL! Besides, it's extremely comfortable. I loaded it up with 12- 18 lbs. and it was like the weight wasn't even there. I think the waist pack on the back would help balance it out though and provide room for food, cookware, etc. I was able to slip thru the brush fairly well and even was able to get in and out of my tree stand with it.

As I said in the vid it's fully adjustable for height and width. I had someone adjust the rear straps just right while it was on, otherwise it's a matter of taking it off, sliding them back and forth until it's where you want it. Having someone else do it takes like 10 seconds though.

It cost me 44.00 + S & H new in plastic fully assembled. I immediately disassembled it upon reciept. :idea:

rwc1969
10-30-2010, 12:03 AM
oh yeah, it has a 1-1/2" belt with buckle and a 1" sternum strap which I can only figure would be used if you can't zip it up. It truly is a 1 size fits all and will fit over heavy winter clothing if desired.

crashdive123
10-30-2010, 08:16 AM
I've got the older version of the vest - very similar to that one.

You do know that you kept pointing your rifle at us don't you?:innocent:

Rick
10-30-2010, 11:48 AM
I noticed that too. I had to duck a couple of times. Where's the range officer?

Nice job!!

SARKY
10-30-2010, 03:01 PM
I went with the CamelBak hydration vest. It is PALs webbing all over so I can put pouches of whatever size where I want them. It too is adjustable and I like to snug it up so it doesn't shift around when it's loaded.

canid
10-30-2010, 04:24 PM
I have no take on this particular vest, but i've been considering one type or other of LBV for use as a minimal pack for a while.

I think it would be great for climbing, where gear attachment and zipping pockets you can reach without having to take it off are bigger concerns than carrying capacity.

hunter63
10-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Good job on the vid.......lefthanded?
Like the Molle idea, change gear depending on need.

rwc1969
10-30-2010, 10:35 PM
I've got the older version of the vest - very similar to that one.

You do know that you kept pointing your rifle at us don't you?:innocent:

Ya, it was the first thing I noticed on playback. I hate when people do that, won't go out with them ever again if they do. But, alas, it was just a camera.

Yes hunter I'm a lefty, but can shoot with both eyes. ;) :pirate

There's definitely a lot of other good options out there. I had a hard time deciding on what to get.

finallyME
11-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Good video review. I liked your other ones as well. Keep them coming. :rockon:

rwc1969
11-05-2010, 01:02 AM
Thanks! I'm waiting for the snow to fall now.

lucznik
11-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Good review. Looks like the vest does what you want it to do - which is what counts in the end. It also looks to be made with a high degree of quality - which is also a very good thing.

Although I really like vests, I don't think that this particular one would work for me. I identified the following problems from the video:

1. It's not really a vest. It's more of a tactical harness, which makes it unsuitable for wearing "in public."
2. I don't like military camo. (Actually, I don't really like camo of any kind.)
3. The materials used in its construction are too loud for my kind of hunting.
4. The pouches mounted up front like that would get in the way of my bowstring.

rwc1969
11-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Ya, it's not something I'd go into the bank with.

Winter
11-05-2010, 10:15 PM
RWC, Are you looking at using it for a wilderness pack or for martial needs?

rwc1969
11-06-2010, 11:31 PM
All my stuff is for wilderness use Winter. Hunting, fishing, camping, etc.

Sourdough
11-06-2010, 11:36 PM
RWC, Are you looking at using it for a wilderness pack or for martial needs?

Marital Needs.......?:eek2::eek2::eek2:

Winter
11-07-2010, 01:37 PM
All my stuff is for wilderness use Winter. Hunting, fishing, camping, etc.

Personally, I love being able to drop my pack when I rest. I can see the usefulness of the chest pouches, but isn't it kinda a PITA taking it on and off?

rwc1969
11-07-2010, 07:20 PM
You just unzip the front and take it off like any other vest or jacket. It's not strapped and buckled on or anything. It's a vest.