PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Warm Leather Hiking BOOTS.

Sourdough
10-27-2010, 03:09 PM
I just realized I Don't own any good warm leather hiking boots. I generally wear Bunny Boots for 6 months per year, and I am OK with hiking 3 or 4 miles in Bunny Boots, but I don't want to hike 13 or 14 miles in bunny boots. Bunny boots have very little traction, and most of mine are warn smooth on the bottom.

Chippewa made a leather -50* with Vibram soles. So what is available in a good 10" tall, waterproof, leather boot, for under $200.00

Old GI
10-27-2010, 04:16 PM
Chippewas were the boots of choice for generation in the Europe-oriented 10th Special Forces Group. You couldn't separate a 10th Group guy from his Chippewas.

In my misspent youth I used Herman Survivors in cold weather, but they were so warm I could only use them around camp, but they were toastie.

Sourdough
10-27-2010, 06:31 PM
Yes, it was triggered by the plan of overnighting at Gull Rock. The trail is rocky and muddy which could both contribute to traction issues. I could wear my Burley knee high boots. But if my feet swelled up I could be walking home bare foot. I guess the good news is that at my age one pair of specialized boots will last the rest of my hiking days.

Rick
10-27-2010, 06:41 PM
SD - You might be interested in Belleville Boots. Some of the military guys might be able to give you a run down on them.

http://www.bellevilleshoe.com/stylesall.php?categ=2

Pal334
10-27-2010, 08:13 PM
Rick is right on, I have used Bellevilles and they are tough and comfortable. They are almost impossible to destroy and seem to only get better as you wear them. A big bang for your buck. I will qualify my recommendation with this, I have never used them in cold climates, only in rocky , sandy and a few wet climate situations

Rick
10-27-2010, 08:38 PM
This guy has the Goretex bootie and 200g of Thinsulate insulation.

http://www.bellevilleshoe.com/product.php?current_product=10

finallyME
10-28-2010, 10:23 AM
My bellevilles aren't great at really low temps. For hiking, I wouldn't rate them below 0F. For standing around doing nothing, I would put them around 15F. Maybe -5F hiking if you are really moving. Luckily my winter temps are usually in that range. For a lower temperature, I would recommend a mukluk from Steger, or the boot that Empire Canvas makes. Of course, those don't do well in wet. So, if you are slushing through lake or sea water, they are probably a bad choice.

Anyways, just telling my boots in the field experience with the Bellevilles. I don't know exactly which kind I got as they were issued to me.

Alaskan Survivalist
10-28-2010, 12:00 PM
The Goretex boots with thinsulate are great for hiking but I doubt you will be happy with the durability. I work in this crap and boots get daily use. I only got one season out of my Goretex boots before they began to leak and the failure seemed to be the material. I liked them so much for hiking I bought another pair that I use just for hiking but for work it's another story. Columbia makes a good boot I get about 3 years of service out of. There are cheaper imitations that the rubber bottoms fail in the first year but if you spent the 100 dollars for the Columbia's I don't think you will be disappointed.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_0014.jpg

Another note, avoid boots with aggresive tread. they pack with mud and become just as slick the difference is you are packing around a couple pounds of mud on each foot.

Sourdough
10-29-2010, 06:55 AM
Well I ordered the Danner Pronghorn with 800 thinslite from Cabela's.....$169.00 free shipping. This was interesting, when I got to check-out there was a option I have never seen before: "Get order shipped and deal with paying for it later". I thought this will be interesting, so I did that. Is America great or what........???????

Rick
10-29-2010, 07:05 AM
It's actually the latest fad in retail. Typically, they will show up at your door demanding 2000 cans of sardines or 50lbs. of nails. Yeah, you gotta love a country that deals in fish and steel.

Wise Old Owl
11-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Ok I am stumped - A micro fleese sock with a breathable smart thick sock wicks the moisture and traps valuable heat, if the boot gets soaked the hiker/walker won't suffer because the moisture nearest the skin is wicked away,,,Also avoiding blisters. So what is up with the decision on the boot? they would all work admirably even old school leather. I have seen Gortex boots that won't dry out because they were not taken care of.

Help me out here. and just so you know when I hike I don't jump from rock to rock, I plow thru the stream and keep going.

Wise Old Owl
11-13-2010, 03:34 PM
anyone? anyone? - Rick?

Sourdough
11-13-2010, 03:52 PM
OK I am stumped - A micro fleese sock with a breathable smart thick sock wicks the moisture and traps valuable heat, if the boot gets soaked the hiker/walker won't suffer because the moisture nearest the skin is wicked away,,,Also avoiding blisters. So what is up with the decision on the boot? they would all work admirably even old school leather. I have seen Gortex boots that won't dry out because they were not taken care of.

Help me out here. and just so you know when I hike I don't jump from rock to rock, I plow thru the stream and keep going.

Here it can be -22* to -55* below and the only boot I will trust is the bunny boots. The boots void that I quested to full was for a very narrow window when the snow had not yet arrived, but it was +12 to +30 Above. Also I have frost bitten fingers and toes, which are sensitive to cold.

Artzi
11-13-2010, 07:31 PM
Here is one option to think about. FDF has been using decades 'rubber boots' with removable felt lining for winter warfare. I am using same model called 'Rokka' myself and it works great atleast to me for winter time camping and skiing! Click link below to see some pictures from Google! :thumbup1:

http://www.google.fi/images?hl=fi&gbv=2&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=rokka+saapas&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Rick
12-15-2010, 03:50 PM
Hey AS - In another thread you talked about having a pair of Air Force Mukluks. Those are the green boots with the cotton canvas uppers.

http://image.become.com/imageserver/s8/675752788-150-150-5-32/thumbnail.jpg

Are you happy with them?

I can pick up a new pair for $129 and the wool liner is new for $34.95. I'm concerned about the cotton canvas uppers. I've asked the manufacturer if they recommend a water repellent and I'm waiting on their reply.

hoosierarcher
01-03-2011, 12:20 AM
I guy I know in Michigan makes his own felt, wool felt. From this he makes clothing and boot liners and foot beds. He is a barefoot most of the year guy. He takes a boot liner and makes a moccasin like skin over it with Sno Seal sealed deer skin. If he needs tread he puts what he calls a Seal Team sandal over that. I don't know if he hikes in them. Put he says his feet never get cold in the middle of Michigan late deer season. He lives in the Upper Peninsula and it gets mighty cold up there.
Me I get waterproof but non-insulated boots and wear a liner silk sock, a 200 gram Wool Power (Ulfrotte) merino wool sock, and an 800 gram merino wool sock. I get the boots one size bigger in length AND width so the socks aren't cramped and thus lose insulating ability. The layering of the socks cuts way back on blisters and the level of warmth and comfort is amazing.
Wear the Danner boots in your home for a day or two and try them out for feel and such. I know a few guys that bought the pronghorns and tried them on, they fit, but after walking in them for a few hours hiking in after elk they had problems. Each reported something different. I think it was just a case of boots not broken in before use but maybe not. Give a good dress rehearsal before you depend on them.

your_comforting_company
01-03-2011, 12:46 AM
Warm leather sitting boots...

My feet don't get cold when walking. It's not till I sit still in a stand that my feet get cold.

I have two pair. One pair is snake-proof knee-high waders, and the other is standard ankle-deep boots.
I said to myself, "My feet got cold, I'll wear another pair of socks."
My feet got so cold they HURT. I thought they'd be warmer barefoot (kind of sarcastically to self). When I couldn't take the discomfort anymore, I untied the laces and INSTANTLY my feet got warm.

I'm not so sure anymore that it is the boots that keep your feet warm as much as it is having good blood flow.

Just thought I'd toss that in there.. of course, I'm not hiking in -30F. Make sure your boots fit with your extra layers!