PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite Backpack? and why.

beetlejuicex3
10-26-2010, 07:29 PM
Also, what is your favorite feature of your favorite backpack?

(don't say price! I want to know about the backpack's design!)

Rick
10-26-2010, 07:42 PM
I guess the large Alice pack for me. I've used it a long time. Big open pack with internal pocket for frequently used items. Lots of outside pockets and loops. External frame keeps the back cool and there are tons of mods available.

paracordist
10-26-2010, 07:45 PM
love my duluth pack rambler. bullet proof; traditional looking and roomy. cool.

SARKY
10-27-2010, 12:12 AM
My Kifaru Navigator. First it is rated as "if you can carry it, the pack will hold it" and I have put it to that test. Had the wife fill it with rock until my legs buckled. The pack never groaned once. The other thing I like about it is that it is a panel load pack so I don't have to dig everything out to get to what is in the bottom of the pack. Next, it is loaded with pals webbing so attaching anything to it is a breeze. next, is their dock and lock system that allows you to clip their E&E pack to their larger packs. Lastly, if you order what is left of their gen 1 packs, they are 50% off while they last. Just got the wifes in last week and am setting it up. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

beetlejuicex3
11-05-2010, 09:30 AM
I've rambled through Kifaru's website in the past. It's an awkward, hard to navigate site and there are lots of 404s when I poke around. I was wondering if they were still in business! The packs look incredible but they're pricey, no?

What do you guys think about Voodoo Tactical as a lower cost pack. We've been tinkering with them. They seem to fall somewhere between Fox/Rothco and Condor as far as quality?

Btw, for the frame, function and money I agree with you Rick, the alice pack is unbeatable! Provided you get LC-2 or better straps.

beetlejuicex3
11-05-2010, 09:35 AM
My Kifaru Navigator... the other thing I like about it is that it is a panel load pack so I don't have to dig everything out to get to what is in the bottom of the pack.

Camera backpacks have compartmentalized loading system where the entire back zips down if you want it too and compartments are fully accessable. Never handled one but it looks nice. I've wondered why more camping/hunting packs don't adopt something like this.

ravenscar
11-05-2010, 09:48 AM
my first hiking one, it was for kids but it was perfectly porportioned for gathering in the woods all day. where ever it went im still looking for it, it has all my old trinkets and stuff, plus my first knifes sheath.

your_comforting_company
11-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Until recently, I've always recycled my kids old backpacks. This year I got a molle-type pack, I thnk the 3-day assault pack.
The best feature is the attachment straps. Makes it 100% expandable (probably more), and keeps everything VERY organized, leaving plenty of room inside the pack.

Rick
11-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Christmas came early!!!! My 3 Day Assault Pack arrived today. WooHoo!!!!!

Alaskan Survivalist
11-05-2010, 12:25 PM
My favorite is the next evolution in back packing "Franken Gear". Assembled from the finest parts and fittings I could steal from dead packs and bring back to life. Universal system that adapts to carry anything, anywhere.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_1531.jpg

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_1532.jpg

BornthatWay
11-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Hey AS I like your style and thinking outside the box.

RCKCRWLER
11-10-2010, 05:46 PM
I like my old Jansport external frame pack. I carried it for countless miles while in Boy Scouts and still have it. It's comfortable to carry and big enough to take whatever I need. I like how it has metal in the waiststrap and when I cinch it down it stays where I put it and lets my hips do the carrying. It is taking transformation for being my new grab -n-go bag. I have a new Kelty redwing 3500 series which is nice, but I would still rather carry my Jansport on hikes. Just don't need a huge pack for day hikes.

beetlejuicex3
11-19-2010, 08:50 PM
I like my old Jansport external frame pack. I carried it for countless miles while in Boy Scouts and still have it. It's comfortable to carry and big enough to take whatever I need. I like how it has metal in the waiststrap and when I cinch it down it stays where I put it and lets my hips do the carrying. It is taking transformation for being my new grab -n-go bag. I have a new Kelty redwing 3500 series which is nice, but I would still rather carry my Jansport on hikes. Just don't need a huge pack for day hikes.

The older I get the more external frame packs do for me. Never owned a Kelty. Long live the ALICE.

Hey, Rick. Who made your 3-day assault pack and why did you choose them?

Rick
11-19-2010, 09:18 PM
Southeastern Kentucky Rehabilitative Services (SEKRI) is the maker. They are a genuine military pack maker and supply the Army today. I have the LRP Molle pack that I'm using for a BOB and the small pack I was using for a couple of days was really too small so I needed something in between. I chose the 3 Day Assault pack because it was the right size, attaches to the larger pack if necessary and has tons of mods available for it.

I generally buy from SEKRI if I can because I know it helps those a little less fortunate make a living. Here's SEKRI's home page but they don't sell the packs there. They only sell them on eBay.

http://www.sekri.org/

aflineman
11-19-2010, 10:33 PM
I really like my Northface Spire 40. Simple but tough. This pack has traveled many, many places with me and has held together well. I like the large interior space. You have to unpack the entire bag to get at what is on the bottom though. Very comfortable, and I really like the way it carries on a long hike.

ibosserman
11-20-2010, 12:13 AM
I bought a ruck sack from the local army surplus. and so far it has done very well for me. It is always loaded with survival tools and gear. I guess it serves as a bob too. I'm thinking of adding some pouches to it. It only has three pockets and is wide open on the inside. what would you guys suggest.

BUSH
11-20-2010, 01:54 AM
I use a Tactical Assault Gears Sentinel Pack. Mollie covered, with internal
pouchs for three hydro bladders, it's alot of water, but since I live in AZ., it's good. Pack has two large compartments, one with mollie straps on the inside. Very comfortable to use.

doug1980
11-20-2010, 02:30 AM
Can't choose between my internal frame Military Issue Combat pack or my new Cabela's Elite Scout Pack. Guess my favorite for extended trips would be the Combat Pack and for day hikes or overnighters would be my Scout Pack.

Rick
11-20-2010, 09:45 AM
IBMan - It sounds like you have a medium Alice pack. Does it have an external frame? The medium can be used with or without frame. If it's an Alice then you have tons of options. There are a lot of mods and pouches available. If you have a frame you can convert the shoulder straps and kidney pad to the better MOLLE straps. It will be more confortable. I set up a medium for my family trauma kit/BOB. It's loaded to the hilt for just about any emergency.

beetlejuicex3
11-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Southeastern Kentucky Rehabilitative Services (SEKRI) is the maker. They are a genuine military pack maker and supply the Army today. I have the LRP Molle pack that I'm using for a BOB and the small pack I was using for a couple of days was really too small so I needed something in between. I chose the 3 Day Assault pack because it was the right size, attaches to the larger pack if necessary and has tons of mods available for it.

I generally buy from SEKRI if I can because I know it helps those a little less fortunate make a living. Here's SEKRI's home page but they don't sell the packs there. They only sell them on eBay.

http://www.sekri.org/

Wow, thanks Rick. We've been looking for new, US made military packs. Bearsa is the only one we've found in USA and they don't return emails. Chinese manufacturers are a complete pain to deal with and Voodoo, Fox and Rothco are chronically out of stock.

I didn't see any packs on the SEKRI website or ebay. Did you get yours on ebay? Can I ask how much it cost?

Thanks

Rick
11-20-2010, 12:13 PM
I did get it from eBay. They seem to post them when they have a surplus. I just looked and they don't seem to have anything on there. They generally have quite a lot of military long underwear but even that's gone.

Total with shipping was $62.08

I don't recall seeing the Rifleman pack but I know they make the sustainment pouches. I bought a couple of those from them a few months back.

Alaskan Survivalist
11-20-2010, 12:19 PM
Back packs are all about fit. They have to fit your stuff and they have to fit you. You have to try a lot of them or get one that is universal and adjustable. I suggest just finding a pack board that fits. You can carry every thing, even small loads. Stuff sacks come in many sizes and even water proof for gear that needs extra protection. Not carrying what you don't need saves weight. Big packs seem to always get loaded to full capacity.