PDA

View Full Version : My new bug out bag

rwc1969
10-25-2010, 09:40 PM
I'm not much on product reviews, but got this pack and I really like it. So, I thought I'd share it.

Part One http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5Jl4xkh3KU

Part Two http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpzlO83BcS4

Part Three http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1wE5RnqaBU

There's a lot to this small pack and I added some extra pouches to all the MOLLE webbing for immediate use items like water, fire, knives, camera, etc.

With the extra pouches it is just under 5 lbs. empty and at 30 lbs loaded up it's fairly comfortable and still has room for stuff I might find along the way like mushrooms, plants, wood, etc.

The contoured shoulder pads are wide, but thin. They have quick releases and are easily adjusted on the fly. It's comfortable enough for me. I loaded it up in the vid with real use stuff to get an idea of access and such. I normally wouldn't carry all that gear, but wanted to put it to the test.

The pack itself has 5 or 6 compartments depending on how you count, MOLLE webbing on the sides, bottom and front, and on the shouder pads, dual YKK zippers on main pouch and secondary pouch, velcro loop on the rest. It has velcro closures on both sides at the top for a water bladder tube or the like and an interior back pouch to hold the bladder, whether or not that's what it was designed for I don't know. But, it will work for that. It's listed at 2000 cubic inches, but I think it's more. It has dual compression straps on both sides, and on the front. It has buckle straps on the top and bottom for strapping in additional stuff or attaching to the main ruck that it accompanies. Also, it has a stowable 1-1/2" unpadded waist belt and a 1" no flex sternum strap. All straps are 1" and 1-1/2".

The back compartment contains a 1/4" black foam pad and a stiff thin white plastic sheet for support and they can both be removed and used for other things like a cutting board, kneel pad, etc. There are also two 1-1/2" white straps attached inside the compartment which I understand are for Airborne operations. I'm not gonna be jumpin outta any planes, but will leave them there for emergency use or the like. I can't think of a good use for them offhand.

The thing I like the most about it is it's durability and compactness. I haven't had it long enough to really test it, but you can tell just by the feel, stitching and such that it's built to last. I have not got caught up on anything with it yet and I am generally cutting through some thickets or the like to get to my spots.

For under 50 bucks new I couldn't find a better deal, and, as far as I can tell, it's made in the good old US of A.

I can't really think of anything else off hand, but if you want to know more check out the vids. I packed a boatload of stuff in there and hiked it around up and down hills, thru briars, swamp and back for about 4 or 5 miles and still felt good. My shoulders were a little worse for wear, but I'm not used to lugging that much around. Not to mention I was squirrel hunting and had my 10/22 with me, tripod and camera.

MOLLE II large assault pack, 1 part of the 3 or 4 part Rifleman system made by Specialty Defense Systems. 4 part if you count the buttpack.

your_comforting_company
10-26-2010, 08:46 AM
Great review. That is very similar to the bag I bought recently. With all the pouches that attach to the outside, there is TONS of room inside. I've loaded mine with about 30 lbs. (essential gear and books) and hiked for about 6 hours and the only complaint I have is the chest strap isn't stretchy for extra breathing room. Works great for me, and judging by the video comments it works really well for you also. Stalk hunting in hog country this past weekend, I really liked having access to ice water and my .40 hand-cannon. As dark began to set in on the 3 of us, the other two were getting worried, and I said "hold on a sec" grabbed my light and compass out of the bag, and marched right back to the boat. If we HAD had to stay, I was prepared with food, water, shelter, fire, a saw, and pretty much everything else we'd need to stay the night except a pillow. That load topped out around 10lbs, very comfortably (wasn't carrying books and some extras). Everything was right where it should be for easy organized access.
I was impressed at how little it impeded my movement. Those woods are like 'Nam jungle, with vines, down trees, swamp bottoms.. crawling almost on your belly at times, and other times climbing over trees, walking across logs to cross water. I like these bags. Thanks for doing the videos.

rwc1969
10-26-2010, 12:30 PM
They are nice. Another thing I noticed was the ease of shouldering my rifle with it. Thicker shoulder pads would be more comfortable, but would make shouldering the rifle more difficult.

I have the MOLLE II main ruck as well with the external frame. With the same weight load it was more uncomfortable than the assault pack, was hard to bend over to pick stuff up, and I did get hung up on a branch or two with the main ruck. Although, for heavy loads and long open trail hikes I think the main ruck would be the way to go. It's much more comfortable than my old external frame and rides much better.

Nice thing about the entire rifleman system is I can attach the assault pack to the main ruck, hike out with all the heavy gear, tent, blankets, pots, pans, etc. set up camp, detatch the assault pack and hike out from there. Or for really light trips I can just use the buttpack/ waistpack, the FLC, or any other combination in between.

Also, both the shoulder straps and waist belt on the assault pack can all be stowed away in the back panel so you end up with a bag and no loose straps flopping around. it has a nice heavy duty carry handle as well.

The benefit of the main ruck is the ability to re-configure it anyway you want. Main ruck + sleep system + sustainment pouches + assault pack + waistpack or anything in between. And as AS showed you can use the external frame stand alone and just strap stuff to it.

If you type this -->TM10-8465-236-10<-- into Google search and click on the first link it should take you to a pdf file that is the operator's manual for the complete Rifleman system. Or just click this link http://loadbearingequipment.info/MOLLE2/ETM086006.pdf If you have this pack the manual is worth a look. It has lots of pics which list all of the components that can be used, configurations, assembly, care, specifications, tips, etc. I like the medic pouches and SAW pouches and may eventually end up getting some. There's so many different pouches it ain't funny.

This is from the manual-

"EQUIPMENT DATA

Component Materials Water Repellant military specified fabrics and composites
MOLLE II Size One size

Weight - Large rucksack with frame and straps 8 lbs - empty
Weight - FLC with rifleman pouches 4 lbs
Large Ruck Volume 4000 cubic inches
Large Ruck Sustainment Pouch Volume 500 cubic inches
Assault Pack Volume 2000 cubic inches"

As you can see the system as a whole is 7000 cubic inches and that does not include the volume of the pouches on the FLC, waistpack, or sleep system carrier which is typically attached below the main ruck. That's probably another 4000 cubic inches or so. In essence you have the ability to customize your setup to anywhere from 0-11,000 or so cubic inches. 11,000 LOL!

I think Rick posted a pic of one of these loaded to the gills on the side of a mule or donkey. Fully loaded it's a massive monstrosity of a pack which was most likely desigend to induce suffering. But, it's versatility more than makes up for that. Here's a video on YouTube that shows how to adorn a fully loaded pack. Yea Right! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afu-aJiD4Cw&feature=related The pack is not MOLLE II though, but close enough for demo purposes.

finallyME
10-26-2010, 03:55 PM
Great review RWC. I might look into getting one.

rwc1969
10-26-2010, 10:33 PM
check em out! I got the whole system, but had to return the sustainment pouches, sleep system carrier and buttpack because the MOLLE attachment points and snaps were all worn out.

So, I'm in the market for a "very good" or new set of sustainment pouches, the 1" straps that go with it, and a buttpack. I can do without the sleep system carrier, just use the straps to secure my tent and/ or blankets.

I should thank Rick too as he mentioned the radio pouch going on the inside of the main ruck. You can do the same thing with the assault pack too. That's where I put my 3 mag pouch though. Thanks Rick!

Alaskan Survivalist
10-27-2010, 04:45 PM
I picked up a medical pack and some pouchs by the same manufacturer in a recent trade. This is my base camp first aid kit that can be grabbed and run to the injured person (I can't think of anything more frightening than me coming to your aid with a medical kit).

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_1506.jpg

It is great the way it unfolds to have access to everything and separated so no digging. Pouch/flaps remove with two snaps and have a carry handle on them also.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_1507.jpg

I also got 6 pouchs in the trade with it that are part of the system I am using for other things. 4 of them are about 6 or 7 inches x 2 1/2 inches that is a very good size for many items. Perfect for 4 full size ammo boxes or Army poncho and large enough for Jumbo Sierra cup.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_1508.jpg

The other 2 pouchs will fit a 500 block of 22 ammo and a 50 round box of 22 magnum in side pouch. The other pouch have not figured a use for yet and may get cut off on the trail.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_1509.jpg

My review would be that they have done well with sizing pockets to common items and well organized. Thats the positive. It is made up of lighter material than most miltary gear and heavier than most civilian gear. I see this as niether a plus or negative but instead that it would best be suited to light or medium weight gear. On the down side it is not the pack I would consider to carry any great distance for comfort and did not care for the quick release strap fittings.

Rick
10-27-2010, 07:27 PM
@RWC - I was thinking the velcro tabs on top of the pack might be for the radio antenna. Mine doesn't have them and I wasn't certain if we had the same pack or not. That was my first thought when you flipped them up in the video. But your assessment that you could use it for you bladder tube should work as well.

You might look for your pouches at these guys. They are Southeast Kentucky Rehabilitative Services (SEKRI). They manufacture military gear using disabled individuals and they sell the surplus on ebay. I've bought some items from them. First rate stuff.

http://shop.ebay.com/souteast_kentucky_rehab-sekri/m.html

rwc1969
10-28-2010, 12:24 AM
AS, those are nice! I'd like to get one of those medical pacs for small items and the 500 block one sounds like it'd be the perfect size for my camera and spare batteries.

I don't have much experience with other packs, but agree that the assault pack is probably on the mid end of the spectrum as far as comfort goes due to the thinner padded shoulder straps. Although, the material on mine seems quite thick as compared to the voodoo and such type imports.

Rick, thanks for the link. I'll check that place out, but I've done exceeded my budget for goodies by a long shot.

I believe you are right. The velcro closures are technically for the radio antenna or possibly to fit the Airborne straps thru as well?? The slots are 1-1/2" long, same as the airborne straps. The paintballers and airsofters I know just use them as bladder tube slots though and the webbing on the shoulders can be used to manage it.

BTW, I tried the FLC vest out today and am really impressed with it. I may go ahead and buy the waist pack to fit on the back of it.

Rick
10-28-2010, 09:46 PM
Well, it's all your fault, RWC. I ordered one of those rascals today along with a bladder and waist pack. I really like my day pack but it's just a bit on the small side for all the junk I need to carry and I think this guy will be about the right size.

I did find a pic that labeled all the parts and the velcro flap is for the radio antenna or bladder hose as we figured. I also read on the SKRI site that the plastic insert that forms a quasi internal frame can also double as a splint.

The fact that it attaches to the larger main ruck that I have as a BOB is a plus, too. Thanks for the low down on it.

http://west.loadup.com/images/large/13264b.jpg

your_comforting_company
10-28-2010, 11:06 PM
Mine also has the flaps on each side, and while I don't have a radio, I do use one of them for hydration tube. Mine is not exactly like the one in Rick's last post, but is very similar.. I think it's the 3-day pack or maybe the assault pack.. not real sure, but that is close enough for horseshoes.
Can we make this thread a sticky? Anyone who is in the market for a VERY versatile pack system will find it very useful.
Extra points to AS also for the pics of the medkit.. I really gotta get one of those. Thanks for the post!

rwc1969
10-28-2010, 11:49 PM
I came back here to get the link for SKRI. BTW, Corbin is right near where I lived in KY.

So Rick, is that pack # 20 or 21? JK! It's probably # 30. It's a cool pack, grab and go!

You know, I'm trying to find new, made in USA, sustainment pouches and waist pack, preferably SDS and preferably woodland camo, but the shipping is killing me. For the price of the above I could almost buy a new pack or another FLC with 9 pouches. Arrgh!

As it stands I have the main ruck minus the sustainment pouches and sleep system carrier. I don't want the SSC, but do want the pouches and waist pack as they add a lot of room, 1500 CI, and can be used seperately.

Rick
11-16-2010, 08:32 PM
Well, after much research I finally figured out the slots that are velcro covered and the white webbing inside are for airborne use. I can assure everyone I shall not be using it for that. If the engine is still running then I'm glued to the inside of the aircraft. In the interim, the slots function well for the water bladder tube.

rwc1969
11-17-2010, 02:02 AM
Rick, I'm not sure if yours has the white 1-1/2" straps inside the back for airborne, but I'm thinking of cutting them off, adding some fastex to them and using as tie-downs or the like. If the pack is full they make the back lumpy and I don't like that.

I'm even considering using the thin white plastic back support as a template to make a more rigid version out of a stiffer material. then cut the thin one down just slightly so it will easily slip out as a cutting board, prep surface or the like.

I had this out the other day with 28-30 lbs. and my air rifle. I hiked for over 8 miles one way and 5 miles back through some pretty rough terrain and when I got home my shoulders were sore. But, I think it was mostly due to my heavy air rifle and lots of standing in place hunting and jumping over logs and stuff. I was out from before sun up until after sundown.

That is the biggest workout this pack and me have had yet. I still love it, but with winter coming I need the fanny pack or the like to add room for extra clothes or stripping off the coat if it heats up in the daytime.

I much prefer it over the external frame pack it accompanies and am even considering using the belt off the external on this if possible for extra support.

rwc1969
11-17-2010, 02:03 AM
Rick, if you get a chance would you please see if the sustainment pouches will fit on this pack. I want to get a couple if they will and aren't too awkward.

your_comforting_company
11-17-2010, 07:20 AM
RWC, Just thought I'd mention, sportsmans guide has some accessory pouches on sale right now. 3pack of molle canteens and pouches for <$20, and a few of the rain-proof pouches for various prices. Saw them in the new catalog last night. I'm probably going to get a 3-set of each, so if you want one I'm happy to pass along the savings.

Rick
11-17-2010, 08:34 AM
Yes, the pack has the white straps you described. That's what sent me on my search. I couldn't figure out what they were for. I've left mine in. I just folded them and stuck them in the edge of the pack. I figured worse case they could be used for cordage and the way I have them in they don't bother me.

I'll check the sustainment pouch later today and let you know.

rwc1969
11-17-2010, 01:17 PM
Thanks Rick.

YCC I already have 2 canteen pouches. What are the rain proof pouches?

I wnet to their site and didn't see anything like that, but am intersted to know what they are.

Rick
11-17-2010, 03:55 PM
They almost fit. Is that good enough? There are four Molle attachments on the back of the sustainment pouch and only 3 places to attach to on the pack. If you look at the side of the pack you'll see a single set of loops from the top down about six inches then it's double loops to the bottom of the pack. That's true on both side. You wind up with one anchor point on top and two on the bottom. One of the Molle attachments doesn't have anything to attach to.

rwc1969
11-18-2010, 01:11 AM
Thanks Rick, I see what you are saying about only one row up top. Hmmm?