PDA

View Full Version : Deep in Montana

Elkchsr
01-05-2008, 02:22 AM
Hello all

A little about myself to start with

I belong to a couple forums already that I'm fairly active in (not survival, just outdoors)

Have read every thing I could get my hands on since the early 70's (things were a little sparse at that time for information)

I've been actively practicing survival out here for the last 10-12 years, in temps of -20 for 10 days with out a tent or sleeping bag

Last winter, spring, and summer, I was able to do a number of forays into the Mojave Desert

At the end of the month, will be teaching my first survival course in Butte Mt

Then will be running classes about every two weeks or so until I start into fire season

Oh, I work wildland fires during the summer, its great fun and the money is good while you’re working

I'm hoping that joining here, I may finally find a place to feel at home in, to share ideas, and possibly give back some of what I've learned over the years

I don't believe in fighting about different survival techniques, as every situation is different and what works in one case may not work in another

Besides, all survival situations should be looked at as an adventure not a tribulation

I am by no means a ‘survivalist’; I believe there's a huge difference between this concept and that of surviving or survival

Except during hunting season, I don’t go very well armed as it is very unnecessary, even with all the wild critters one may encounter

I do believe that one can make an adventure of any situation, no matter how dire, also that one can learn from every one, some thing new to utilize in even every day life... :)

Jay
01-05-2008, 03:00 AM
Greeting & Welcome Elkchsr!
I like you approach to survival. A common sense, open minded approach is best. Good luck with the classes. Look forward to your posts.

nell67
01-05-2008, 03:37 AM
Welcome to the forum Elkchsr

beerrunner13
01-05-2008, 04:49 AM
Welcome to the forum,my wife and I were looking at some land near you.

Sarge47
01-05-2008, 07:55 AM
Welcome to the Wolf-Pack!:cool:

Elkchsr
01-05-2008, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the welcome guys...

I appreciate it :)

Beerrunner....

Let me know when you do, or at least if your coming this way

Where abouts was your potential ground?

Rick
01-05-2008, 03:37 PM
You are a welcome addition to the forum. You can bring some ideas to this forum with your wildfire background that most of us won't have. It's certainly not impossible for any of us to be out and a brush fire or forest fire present us with a potential threat. I look forward to your posts and ideas.

Elkchsr
01-05-2008, 06:55 PM
Actually Rick

You would be amazed at the similarities between fires and nature itself

If you can beat an elks nose, you have a good handle on what fire will do since it has a very strong tendency to follow air currents

Plus, if you look at fire as a living entity

It needs to Breath, eat and be warm to exist

No food (fuel) No fire

That’s why the best fire seasons are during the summer

Lack of water, plenty of food, and generally it's warm... :)