PDA

View Full Version : The Moon Dogs are out.........

Sourdough
10-23-2010, 12:07 AM
I just went out to take care of some business, and the moon is near full, and the Moon Dogs encircle it. Awesome.

doug1980
10-23-2010, 12:10 AM
I can't even see the moon from Base. I wanna see too.

klickitat
10-23-2010, 12:25 AM
New term to me. What is a Moon Dog?

Sourdough
10-23-2010, 04:15 AM
Moon Dogs: http://home.hiwaay.net/~krcool/Astro/moon/moonring/

Winnie
10-23-2010, 05:10 AM
New term to me. What is a Moon Dog?

Ha! and here's me been thinking I was the only one who didn't know the term! KT you've made my day;)
I had to ask last year when SD mentioned Moondogs.

Winnie
10-23-2010, 06:22 AM
I live way too far south to enjoy natures light shows, but it's nice to hear about them, Sjj.

Justin Case
10-23-2010, 08:56 AM
Yes,, twas a beautiful moon last night,, i sat out for quite awhile looking at it :)

Batch
10-23-2010, 10:10 AM
I live way too far south to enjoy natures light shows, but it's nice to hear about them, Sjj.

Winnie, you don't live to far south. Your more than half way to the arctic circle from me and I see the rings around the moon and sun pretty often. It happens way up ion the atmosphere.

"The ring is caused by sunlight or moonlight being diffracted as it passes through cirrostratus clouds that are usually at altitudes above 20,000 feet. Cirrostratus clouds are composed mostly of small ice crystals that spread out into a thin layer. They are sheet-like, and the sun and moon can be seen through them easily."

Winnie
10-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Well that's odd, I've never noticed them. We had a beautiful full moon this week, but nothing untoward. Perhaps I need to look harder! I've seen Sun dogs (now I know what they are!) I'll keep looking.

klickitat
10-23-2010, 11:14 AM
Thank you. While I was on that site it mentioned moon bows. About 6 years ago I was up on the Toutle River fishing salmon with a good friend and my oldest boy. On the way home we saw a moon bow. A rainbow in all shades of gray.

I had never seen one before and never heard mention of one till I seen this site.

BTW: my son caught his first salmon that day and he always thinks of that moon bow and salmon in the same thought as though they were part of each other.

Winnie
10-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Nope, definitely not seen moon dogs. Seen moon halos and moon coronas, but not moon dogs. I'd love to see a moonbow! Perhaps I shouldv'e said some of natures light shows:blush:

kyratshooter
10-23-2010, 12:25 PM
There is a waterfall on the Cumberland River (Cumberland Falls State Park), just a few miles from where the group is camping this weekend. At the base of that waterfall the full moon shines bright enough through the mist that there is a full color Moonbow on each full moon.

It in one of the only two places in the western hemisphere where this happens on a regular basis.