PDA

View Full Version : Please be careful out there !

Justin Case
10-22-2010, 09:43 AM
911 director killed in hunting accident

WAVY-TV WAVY-TV
updated 10/18/2010 3:16:11 PM ET 2010-10-18T19:16:11

The man in charge of emergency calls in Chowan County was the subject of a tragic one Saturday.

At around 2 p.m., Washington County Communications received a 911 call about a gunshot victim.

When officers responded to Longridge Road in Plymouth, they found 46-year-old Carlton Franklin Jackson, Jr. with a gunshot wound to his chest. Jackson was taken to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Witnesses told investigators that Jackson was getting ready to go on a hunting trip, when he and his son stopped to check their rifles to make sure they were unloaded and safe for travel. When his son was checking his rifle, it reportedly discharged and struck his father in the chest.

Mr. Jackson served as the director of the Chowan County 911 center.

Sheriff Dwayne Goodwin issued the following statement about his death:

"Our thoughts and prayers are with Mr. Jackson's family. Franklin has been a tremendous asset to the Chowan Central Communication Center as well as a respected leader throughout the region in telecommunications technology. He has served the citizens of Chowan County for more than 24 years; the last four as director of the 911 center.

I believe it is a testament to his leadership and dedication to his employees, that his department is up and running today, while we mourn his loss."

There are no charges pending at this time, according to the Washington County Sheriff's Office.

wareagle69
10-22-2010, 09:55 AM
while i do feel bad for this man and his family, and the son who has to live with this the rest of his life, lets examine a few things,
why was the rifle not checked when put away the first time, or when taken out of the storage unit and for gods sake why was it pointed at another person when checking to see if its loaded.
living up here where i live i run into alot of folks who call themselves hunters but are more killers imo than anything else, a few here are hunters and from what i have see the breed is rare.
now the term hunter can be discussed prolifically as to what defines hunter, but i know what it means to me, and the idiots out there that don't deserve the prilegde have a definition that fits there model also, too much politics in it for me likeing

Justin Case
10-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Certainly preventable,

hunter63
10-22-2010, 07:57 PM
Happens every year some where, sadly, feel bad for that son and family........
I don't hunt with people like this, but safety is a constant concern.

Wise Old Owl
10-24-2010, 10:19 AM
locally a couple years back a 15 year old shot himself in the foot at Ridley Creek State Park. Although he was with his dad and had a saftey course, things happen. Unfortunatly it called into play the entire park deer reduction program, and how young is too young?

http://all-creatures.org/cash/accident-center.html

oly
10-24-2010, 10:49 AM
There are not very many people I will go hunting with due to the fact that some will not keep there weapon pointed in a safe direction and/or once they see a target, thats all they see and are clueless of what is beyond or around the target when they pull the trigger. I actually gave up Deer hunting for these reasons.

Also be aware of the common hazards out there.
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=12944581

Batch
10-24-2010, 11:01 AM
This is where I hunt archery. I was probably there on this day last year. Though, I usually hunt turkey in Big Cypress.

http://www.all-creatures.org/cash/taah-sh-20100329.html

Corbett is just so much closer to home. But, every yahoo in the region is in there on opening day because its archery starts a week before any other place and like a month earlier than other regions in the state.

Still, most hunting accidents are from falls even in the flat lands of South Florida.