PDA

View Full Version : Hand Line for Fishing

Rick
01-04-2008, 07:51 PM
Has anyone ever used a handline for fishing? I'd never heard of them until I ran across it on the web. They claim you can cast a lure with a handline about as far as with a rod and reel. It's pretty compact and might make a nice addition to a larger (truck) survival pack.

http://www.streamlines.com/

mbarnatl
01-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Directions for use: Hold the handline in your reel hand and point the edge in the direction you are going to cast. Using your other hand, hold the fishing line about 2 feet from the tackle (eg, weight, lure, practice ball). Swing the tackle around your head and release as you would a lasso. Retrieve the line by wrapping the line around the handline. Retrieving the line is similar to reeling in a kite.
Concentrate when fishing. A solid strike requires that you quickly give out line to avoid breaking the line. You do not have the drag of the reel or flex of the pole to protect you. As with a rod and reel, give the fish line when it runs and take in slack when the fish moves toward you.

http://www.moontrail.com/accessrs/a-misc/handline.html

mbarnatl
01-04-2008, 08:51 PM
They are found in mostly ship survival bags. The link here (http://www.equipped.org/abndonship4.htm) uses the streamline for a "Abandon Ship Bag Emergency Devices" ... read down at the fishing kit included.

Sourdough
01-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Have you ever read, "The Old Man and the Sea", by Hemmingway..? or seen the movie, with Spencer Tracy...? I bring this up because there is only one problem with handlining, don't laugh but the problem is catching too big a fish.

I have done a lot of handlining for Lake Trout. You do not need a bobber, but I guess you could use a short dry stick for a bobber. We use bacon, or any meat, and after you catch the first fish, the guts from that fish will bait 5 or 6 hooks. Just use a trebble hook, get the bait on secure, and cast it as far as you can by hand, being careful not to dislarge the bait. We would tie the other end to a rock or anything. We would but out 5 sets at night and have 4 or 5 Lake Trout on the hooks in the morning. They don't start to fight till you start pulling them in. Wear gloves if you think you might catch large fish or turtles, etc.. I would pick which ever fish I wanted for me, cut the others up for the foxes, martins, coyoties, and sea gulls. Rebait the hooks and they are full the next morning.

We don't use a bobber because the wind will drift the bait in to the beach. We have caught Reds, Silvers, Skanky Pinks, trout, grayling. If your hungry it works for birds, and turtles. Good Fishing...:) O'yes works through the ice.

RobertRogers
01-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Yeah, I was thinking that the line could cut you when a big one gets the line

Smok
01-04-2008, 11:41 PM
Here we use a can to hold the line on or a water bottle

Sourdough
01-05-2008, 02:56 AM
Here they call it poaching, against the law to have more than one line in the water, and against the law to have one line in the water and not be there attending it.

Smok
01-05-2008, 04:07 AM
Hopeak you are the one that made the post , or are there two of you ?? Or ?? ;)

Sourdough
01-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Hopeak you are the one that made the post , or are there two of you ?? Or ?? ;)

If I can't make fun of my self, I have no space to chide others. I just wanted to point out that it was criminal when I did it and still is. The nice thing about being old, is you realize there is so little time left, why waste it pretending your "not" a fool. And my dog bites me if I make fun of him. And there is nobody else around. so I take myself lightly. Good observation on your part.

Sarge47
01-05-2008, 01:56 PM
If it's Survival, then I'd use a trot-line. If not then I'd use my staff as a rod and tie my fishline to it. That's just me though.:cool:

pgvoutdoors
01-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Has anyone ever used a handline for fishing? I'd never heard of them until I ran across it on the web. They claim you can cast a lure with a handline about as far as with a rod and reel. It's pretty compact and might make a nice addition to a larger (truck) survival pack.

http://www.streamlines.com/

I was first introduce to a setup like this when I was about eight years old. My Grand Mother from West Virginia showed me how to use it. The line holder was a little different but basically the same idea. With practice I would imagine someone could get pretty good at it. I still can give it a good toss.

I've also learned to hand-cast fly line which is another way to travel light and sill have a method to fish with you.

Rick
01-05-2008, 02:18 PM
I have to try this. Like Smok said, you could use some other material. I would imagine a smooth, stout stick with the line on one end would work just as well as long as it allowed the line to play out. That would also prevent RR's concerns of line cut from a whopper (My fish are so big....how big are they? They are so big the lake level goes down when I haul 'em in). You would just have to play them a bit longer I guess.

pgvoutdoors
01-05-2008, 02:31 PM
I have to try this. Like Smok said, you could use some other material. I would imagine a smooth, stout stick with the line on one end would work just as well as long as it allowed the line to play out. That would also prevent RR's concerns of line cut from a whopper (My fish are so big....how big are they? They are so big the lake level goes down when I haul 'em in). You would just have to play them a bit longer I guess.

RICK, I found that monofilament line tied to the of a long stick is great for shore line fishing in ponds and lakes for the smaller fish that hang out there. The original fly rods used waxed string (so that it would stay afloat) tied to the end of a long flexible sapling. It was then whipped out into the water. It requires that you use light lures (flies preferably). I've now modified that so that I can put a couple of makeshift eyes on a sapling and even though I don't have a reel I can cast and retrieve more effectively.

Additionally: The fly line that I use is of the modern type.

Rick
01-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Fly fishing is about all I've done for years and years but it's hard to tote a 7 ft. fly rod into the back country. I've always used traps in the summer or sometimes bank lines but need something for winter fishing. I think someone mentioned using snare wire to build makeshift eyes in another post and I like that idea a lot. It would sure spread the stress out across the sapling rather than have that big hog snap the end of your pole and vamoose with your survival fishing gear.

pgvoutdoors
01-05-2008, 02:46 PM
For eyes on the makeshift fly rod you could carry a few eyes with you along with the fly line in your kit. I've also used paper clips or safety pin to make the eyes. You could carry a few flies or if you didn't have any I'm sure as a fly fisher you know how easy it it to make some from stuff found around you. Everyone should know how to tie a fly or jig, it come3s in handy co camouflage a makeshift hook.

mbarnatl
01-05-2008, 03:38 PM
I use the speedhook and survival yo-yo for fishing.

Rick
01-05-2008, 04:08 PM
pgv, I would only add to that the knowledge of some good fishing knots. One or two would work well. I use a clinch knot.